Top 100: The most desirable cars of all time

Luxury catamaran concept features glass-bottom master bedroom

October 24, 2013

Picchio Boat is a luxury catamaran concept which boasts a glass-bottom master bedroom

Yacht designer Christian Grande has joined forces with award winning Italian actor Pierfrancesco Favino to come up with a "dream" boat design. Dubbed Picchio Boat (Woodpecker Boat), the luxury catamaran concept boasts large living zones, natural wooden decking, luxury furnishings and a stunning glass-bottom master bedroom.

The 21-m (71-ft) craft is conceptualized to be more of a floating holiday home than your standard catamaran. With the desire to create a boat that can comfortably accommodate a young family for long periods of time, the Picchio Boat features a large rooftop deck with kitchenette, large outdoor and indoor living zones, indoor dining room, kitchen, guest bedrooms and a fully equipped master bedroom. What's more the indoor master bedroom and main living area also feature stunning glass-bottom flooring, hovering over the sea.

Fully equipped master bedroom with a glass-bottom floor

In addition, the catamaran includes customized features such as high bulwarks, removable canvas sun protectors, two vertical garden walls, a large children's play room with foldaway berths and sofas and two guest suites with private ensuites.

The Picchio Boat is a "sort of recreational island to be lived [in], without any need to show or boast it," says Christian Grande.

There's been no word on the expected cost to create the Picchio Boat or whether it's likely to be built.

Source: Picchio Boat and Christian Grande

Bridget Borgobello Bridget is an experienced freelance writer, presenter and performer with a keen eye for innovative design and a passion for green technology. Australian born, Bridget currently resides in Rome and when not scribbling for Gizmag, she spends her time developing new web series content and independent cinema.   All articles by Bridget Borgobello

Designed with furniture suitable for the home only, I wonder what the state of the plate glass would be after the first storm with the impacts.

L1ma
25th October, 2013 @ 01:56 am PDT

I think that is really cool. If I had the money for it, I would live on it and travel up and down the coast, depending on my mood and the weather.

BigGoofyGuy
25th October, 2013 @ 05:36 am PDT

Different, but who gets the job of cleaning the bottom windows?

Roland Rees
25th October, 2013 @ 09:55 am PDT

That's a silly and pointless attempt at a "glass bottom." The point of that feature is normally that it allows you to look underwater, not at the surface of the water that's slopping beneath the pontoons of the catamaran. Do it right or don't do it at all.

dakong27
25th October, 2013 @ 10:37 am PDT

I agree with dakong27 - A pointless exercise. "G/B" is best kept for vessels like tourism ventures. Even true G/B boats should only be small.

The Skud
27th October, 2013 @ 05:14 pm PDT

Oau, such a luxury catamaran, i will talk with my husdband and may be it will buy an fishing boat :)) :)

Andrea Roberts
28th October, 2013 @ 07:55 am PDT

The glass floor is cool but you're mostly just going to see the surface of the water unless the water is very still. I'd rather see some sort of retractable glass window that can be lowered to the water's surface so you get a clear view into it. Limiting such a feature to tourist vessels is silly. Anyone who's interested in what's under the water would be interested in incorporating this into a boat design. If I had the money for something this expensive, I certainly would do it.

Jon Shurtleff
29th October, 2013 @ 07:44 am PDT

Oh my god, this is the most amazing Catamaran boat I have ever seen. I can just imagine how wonderful and exciting it is to stay on the boat with a glass bottom floor. Though, I hope there will be no sight of a shark there.

Lorraine Jacobs