Xbox Surface tablet could be a winner
November 6, 2012
Microsoft needs mobile. Though the company will continue to profit from Windows and Office, its long-term prosperity depends on smartphones and tablets. Gaming and mobile go hand-in-hand, and Microsoft has an iconic gaming brand in Xbox. There's an opportunity here, and apparently Microsoft knows it.
According to The Verge, Microsoft is planning a 7-inch Xbox Surface tablet. It would run a custom version of Windows, and would focus on gaming. It will probably run a custom ARM processor, and carry plenty of RAM for maximum horsepower.
This could be a smart move. Xbox is a household name. With the right combination of hardware and software, Microsoft could use one of its biggest strengths to transition into mobile. Even if the device was 90 percent focused on gaming, it plants seeds in customers' minds: Microsoft, Surface, great tablet.
What Microsoft needs is a halo effect. Make one iconic mobile device, and it's much easier to make more. Look at Apple: iPod paved the way for iPhone, which paved the way for iPad. Now the once-struggling company has a $117 billion war chest.
Much is unknown about this tablet, and a million things could go wrong. Do you think Microsoft is onto something here? Drop us a line in the comments.
Source: The VergeShare
- Around The Home
- Digital Cameras
- Good Thinking
- Health and Wellbeing
- Holiday Destinations
- Home Entertainment
- Inventors and Remarkable People
- Mobile Technology
- Urban Transport
- Wearable Electronics
- 2014 Action Camera Comparison Guide
- 2014 Smartwatch Comparison Guide
- 2014 Windows 2-in-1 Comparison Guide
- 2014 Smartphone Comparison Guide
- 2014 Full Frame DSLR Comparison Guide
- 2014 Tablet Comparison Guide
- 2014 Superzoom Camera Comparison Guide
- 2014 iPad Comparison Guide
- 2014 Entry-Level to Enthusiast DSLR Comparison Guide
- 2014 Small Compact Camera Comparison Guide