V8 Wet Rod: The luxury yacht of personal watercraft?
By Ben Coxworth
July 3, 2014
If you're a millionaire who wants the ultimate in opulence for your sea voyages, you get yourself a luxury yacht. However, what about those times when you're just playing around? Currently, you get the same Jet Ski-type thing as everyone else ... although there may soon be an alternative. Yacht designer Kurt Strand has just announced his forthcoming Strand Craft V8 Wet Rod luxury personal watercraft.
Presently in development, the vaguely naughty-named Wet Rod will feature a 16-foot (4.9-m) carbon fiber/epoxy body powered by a 300-hp 5.7-liter V8 engine. Its water jet propulsion system will reportedly take it up to a top speed of 65 mph (105 km/h).
Drinks (presumably bottles of Dom Pérignon) can be stored in an ice box under the seat, while larger items will go in a waterproof luggage box. Optional extras include wood or carbon fiber inlays, custom paint and/or wrapping, a custom trailer, a sound system, a chrome engine dress-up kit, and GPS navigation.
Strand tells us that the Wet Rod should be commercially available later this year, with prices starting at US$49,000. That's still a lot cheaper than his planned $25 million Strand Craft 122 yacht, which would come with its own supercar that could be stored on board when not in use.
Source: Strand CraftShare
- Around The Home
- Digital Cameras
- Good Thinking
- Health and Wellbeing
- Holiday Destinations
- Home Entertainment
- Inventors and Remarkable People
- Mobile Technology
- Urban Transport
- Wearable Electronics
- 2014 Action Camera Comparison Guide
- 2014 Smartwatch Comparison Guide
- 2014 Windows 2-in-1 Comparison Guide
- 2014 Smartphone Comparison Guide
- 2014 Full Frame DSLR Comparison Guide
- 2014 Tablet Comparison Guide
- 2014 Superzoom Camera Comparison Guide
- 2014 iPad Comparison Guide
- 2014 Entry-Level to Enthusiast DSLR Comparison Guide
- 2014 Small Compact Camera Comparison Guide