Highlights from the 2014 LA Auto Show

Could you live in a home the size of a parking space?

April 15, 2014

SCADpad: a micro-housing unit that can fit into a parking spot (Photo: SCADpad)

SCADpad: a micro-housing unit that can fit into a parking spot (Photo: SCADpad)

A team of students and professors at Georgia's Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD) recently unveiled a tiny house prototype cited as the future of urban living. Dubbed SCADpad, the home in question can fit into a standard-sized car parking space and is expected to cost around US$40,000 to produce.

The SCADpad is quite a simple structure, constructed from wood and set on wheels for easy towing, with individual units taking around one or two months to build. Each SCADpad measures just 2.5 x 4.8 m (8 x 16 ft), which is even narrower than the Imai House and far shorter in length. Though space will obviously be limited, the team mentions that each unit sports a kitchen area, hammock bed, and folding table.

The SCAD team has produced three SCADpads so far, each of which is decked out in a unique color scheme inspired by SCAD's various campuses in Asia, Europe, and North America.

SCAD alum and featured artist Marcus Kenny sitting in SCADpad North America with SCAD pres...

The SCADpads themselves are only part of the story, however. The team currently has the three prototype units arranged near to each other on the fourth floor of SCAD's Atlanta parking lot, turning the space into a veritable tiny house community. The micro-community also has a garden space that's fed by graywater, a waste management system, and a maker's table complete with 3D printer.

As the project is in the development stage, there's still some finer details to iron out, and we've no information on whether the SCADpads will operate or or off-grid, for example. We'll keep an eye on how this one progresses over the coming months.

Source: SCADpad

Adam Williams Adam scours the globe from his home in North Wales in order to bring the best of innovative architecture and sustainable design to the pages of Gizmag. Most of his spare time is spent dabbling in music, tinkering with old Macintosh computers and trying to keep his even older VW bus on the road.

All articles by Adam Williams

And no toilet, eh? A hipsters dream, I guess!

Skipjack
15th April, 2014 @ 11:52 am PDT

What is even more amazing is they still have room left for the creature in pictures 3 and 4: http://images.gizmag.com/gallery_lrg/scadpad_prototype-3.jpg

I think I got a gypsy curse just looking at a picture of it, I couldn't imagine sleeping at night neat it.

Daishi
15th April, 2014 @ 12:23 pm PDT

I can't even fit my workbench into a parking space, much less the me and the rest of the family.

justme70
15th April, 2014 @ 03:21 pm PDT

I could just get away with it (after fitting a chem. or composting toilet somewhere) but would need a shipping container nearby to hold the rest of my [yes, I need that stuff] goods.

Off-grid could be solar panels, 12volt R/V appliances etc. would suit.

The Skud
15th April, 2014 @ 08:13 pm PDT

A small living unit on wheels?

Its been called a 'caravan' for more centuries, so what's new?

Nik
16th April, 2014 @ 01:22 am PDT

Artist Caravans! Smart but not wise.

Threesixty
16th April, 2014 @ 02:39 am PDT

$40,000 is a lot to pay for such a small house. There are others about the same size that cost a lot less and have more features. One should check out 'tiny houses' online. There is even a tiny house blog. One can buy plans for these tiny houses.

BigGoofyGuy
16th April, 2014 @ 05:45 am PDT

Why waste good screen space with another massively overpriced tiny house? For less than 1/2 that price you can buy many brands of very comfortable travel trailers with toilet and shower and kitchen and even TWO bedrooms. Why stop at parking spot sized residences? Many folks live in urban centers in a big cardboard box. They are called homeless... and that term also applies to anyone living in a SCAD house.

Bruce Warren
16th April, 2014 @ 08:22 am PDT

Looks more like a showcase for interior decorating than space utilization. I guess these would be fine if you are a teenage girl.......

Michael Logue
16th April, 2014 @ 08:29 am PDT

Nice décor...if you're on acid

Jay_Wilson
16th April, 2014 @ 08:54 am PDT

What really worries me is that far too often the "future of urban living" is defined as some kind of ultra high density "cramming" of humans into an already overcrowded space.

I guess the Savannah Collage of Art would kick me out because I'd have to raise my hand in class and ask... Why are we wasting our time working to design smaller living spaces instead of working on a solution to the root problem. Unsustainable population growth.

Sorry but this to me is just another ridiculous mental exercise created by indoctrinated narrow thinkers engaging students in band-aid solutions that in the long term further degrade the lifestyle of people.

PeteKK
16th April, 2014 @ 09:59 am PDT

the only reason this house would be socially acceptable is because it costs 40k. I've known people who live in much less than a car space, costing next to nothing, but they're usually shunned and harassed for it.

SuperFool
16th April, 2014 @ 10:53 am PDT

expensive cramming where "home" is reduced to ones little excape space, not a living space to sleep eat, entertain, work on things that need garage space...all very nice for a certain type, the hi design aspects of which we see prominent display here might be a clue. design, not engineering, grrr. and the pprice? of course there are zoning and code issues making the $2000 cargo container a no go most places. ever wonder why? pretty obvious it seems. heres the cheap, fast, designed as a permanent emergency housing unit... as heard on radio: http://www.wikihouse.cc/

Walt Stawicki
16th April, 2014 @ 12:11 pm PDT

I find the comments more interesting than the article! I do believe that our future relies on the most clever and efficient use of resources, but not because of the defeatist mentality of "unsustainable population growth". Yes, space and resources are a finite commodity on this planet, but creativity and ingenuity are not. Wasteful consumption and outmoded architectural and mechanical engineering requires constant critique and novel technology to make a 1500 sq.ft. home more efficient, (and comfortable) than any minimalist toy box. And I agree that Airstream has made much cooler, cheaper and more practical spaces for years.

wanderkip
16th April, 2014 @ 01:14 pm PDT

I already live in my mobile home which has all the mod cons I need daily.

And mine fits into a normal parking space in NZ.

My weekly water use exluding showers and clothes washing is about 150 litres. Fuel use is about 50 litres diesel a week.

I have a low carbon footprint lifestyle and composting toilet. Still I get a lot of flak and occasional abuse from council staff and random people. They probably see my lifestyle a threat to their wasteful lifestyle? How much resources you use per week?

Sustainable freedom camping should be encouraged not banned!

Kääriäinen Heikki Haykey
16th April, 2014 @ 05:39 pm PDT

I drive truck. I live in a space smaller than many walk-in closets for weeks at a time. (Not including the 'work' area, not a living space". Of course, I still need rest areas and truck stops for showers and sanitary facilities.

Donn Treece