82-inch, ultra-HD display heads Samsung's SID line-up
By Darren Quick
May 19, 2008
May 20, 2008 Samsung has showcased an ultra-high definition, (3,840 x 2,160 pixels), 82-inch LCD panel for 120Hz television sets at the Society for Information Display (SID) 2008 International Symposium, Seminar and Exhibition which is running from May 18 to 23 in Las Vegas. The world’s largest LCD panel supplier said the panel uses a red/green/blue LED backlight, which has been added to raise true color saturation to 150 percent, based on the NISC standard of 100 percent. It displays ultra-definition (UD) resolution at 120 frames per second, minimizing the blurring that is sometimes experienced at 60Hz.
The 82-inch LCD panel was among a raft of future plans for Samsung also announced at SID 2008. These included:
- An 82-inch “e-board” with a multi-touch screen, which is destined to replace whiteboards and beam projectors. It was created using a 60Hz LCD panel with built-in UD resolution and is the largest panel of its kind with a multi-touch screen.
- A multi-view digital information display (DID) that delivers 3D images without requiring special glasses. The company is confident that this display can establish a new niche market apart from other DIDs previously introduced.
- A 40-inch full-HD LCD TV panel that operates with only two source driver ICs, instead of the normal combination of six source drivers and three gate drivers, which lowers production costs and will hopefully make LCD TVs more affordable.
- Finally, Samsung will introduce a 15-inch LCD with a “blue phase mode,” and 2.3-inch e-paper that uses electrodes made from carbon nanotubes for enhanced “fold-ability.” Visitors will be able to view these and other products, such as a multi-tasking monitor with a 16:9 aspect ratio and environment-friendly panels for TVs, at the Samsung SID booth.
Samsung also recently announced the new Armani/Samsung premium LCD television. Unveiled at the Milan International Furniture Fair, the Armani/Samsung LCD Television is the second product (following the Giorgio Armani - Samsung mobile phone) designed by Giorgio Armani under a strategic marketing alliance announced by the two companies in September, 2007, which foresees the development of a range of prestige portable and home consumer electronics products. Both 46-inch and 52-inch models are to incorporate 100Hz Full HD resolution and HDMI connectors with unique design elements inspired by Giorgio Armani's new 2008/09 Armani/Casa home furnishings collection, which includes the Brahms tea table in pleated effect glossy black lacquered wood which has been specifically designed to host the new television.
The 46-inch Armani/Samsung Television, will be launched initially in Europe, Korea and Russia in mid summer . The 52-inch model will be launched in late-summer in the same market.
- Around The Home
- Digital Cameras
- Good Thinking
- Health and Wellbeing
- Holiday Destinations
- Home Entertainment
- Inventors and Remarkable People
- Mobile Technology
- Urban Transport
- Wearable Electronics