Shopping? Check out our latest product comparisons

RUNNUR - like a utility belt for your torso

August 8, 2012

The fanny pack for the 21st century

The fanny pack for the 21st century

The RUNNUR is a sort of belt for your upper body. More like Batman's utility belt than the average leather pants-hiker, the RUNNUR offers all kinds of storage compartments for everything from your cell phone to your water bottle. Its look is questionable, but its storage capacity isn't.

You know something's wrong when you decide to "bring the concept of the fanny pack into the 21st century." The fanny pack really should stay in the 20th century ... and even then, we might just want to pretend it didn't exist, ever. You could argue that the RUNNUR is a little less heinous than the fanny pack, but you could also argue that it's a lot bigger and more in your face. Style is in the eye of the beholder (sort of), so we'll leave the final call up to you.

Whatever your thoughts are about the RUNNUR's 'messenger bag without the bag' look, it does offer some serious gear and accessory storage. The idea was born from the inadequacy of standard pockets in holding all the electronics, gear, accessories and provisions of modern living. Its designers were looking for something that split the difference between a full backpack and a set of pants pockets. They weren't comfortable enough in themselves to go all in on a fanny pack or man purse, so they got to work on something new.

What the designers came up with is a messenger-style strap that eliminates the separate pack and integrates all storage. It includes a series of purpose-designed compartments for all the gear you'd typically stuff in your clothing pockets, purse, backpack or bag. There's a padded sunglasses pouch, cell phone sleeve, MP3 player pocket, license/ID sleeve, cash and credit card compartment and elastic water bottle holder. There's also a carabiner for attaching keys and an extra storage pouch for things like a camera or snacks. A reflector on the back adds some visibility at night.

The RUNNUR includes a foam core and mesh lining for comfort. A contoured, no-slip shoulder strap keeps it secure on your shoulder.

The name is a bit of a misnomer. Having somewhere to store your music, water, keys, etc. would be invaluable when running in a pocket-less t-shirt and exercise shorts, but RUNNUR says that the only time you probably won't use the belt is when you're actually running. Looking at the design, it's easy to see how having a strap bouncing against your chest and back for an entire run would be maddening.

The RUNNUR comes in several sizes and colors

The RUNNUR comes in numerous colors. The retail price is US$39, and the company says that your shirt size should equate to RUNNUR size.

RUNNUR says the strap-pack is good for cycling, hiking, travel, fitness and other activities. The video below shows that it's also good for dancing to weird music and doing air karate in the park.

Source: Runnur

C.C. Weiss Upon graduating college with a poli sci degree, Chris toiled in the political world for several years. Realizing he was better off making cynical comments from afar than actually getting involved in all that mess, he turned away from matters of government and news to cover the things that really matter: outdoor recreation, cool cars, technology, wild gadgets and all forms of other toys. He's happily following the wisdom of his father who told him that if you find something you love to do, it won't really be work.   All articles by C.C. Weiss

In the video, it seems to me that the belt has somehow been attached to his pants in the back to make it appear that it can better hold its position. I didn't notice anything in the article mentioning that, so it appears to be a little misleading....

Marilyn

Marilyn Harris
8th August, 2012 @ 04:29 am PDT

In the images there is a carabiner at the bottom. Could be hooked into a belt loop.

digi_owl
8th August, 2012 @ 05:59 am PDT

Marilyn- You are 100% correct as it can be clearly seen in the slow motion handcart that the lower back portion is physically tied to the pant waistband. Everything he is doing would cause that starp as sold to fly off, unless he held in by hand. Very misleading and even if not, not a very good idea in the first palce. Buy a small backpack that wil do the same without a cumbersome item filled strap across your front torso.

Ct
8th August, 2012 @ 06:21 am PDT

It looks like one end of it is a Carabiner you can attach it to a belt loop or watter bottle or something. I'm not sure if I like the idea of the wallet being built into it or not rather than just having a pouch to hold a wallet but it seems like something that would be useful for bicycling where items in your pocket (keys, wallet etc.) limit your movement.

I hate having things in my pockets. But I still think there is a pretty big step between sticking my wallet in one for a bike ride and replacing my wallet with one.

I kind of like the idea though and adding a couple different pocket configurations probably won't be that hard.

Daishi
8th August, 2012 @ 06:50 am PDT

It's not karate, it's capoeira.

Keith Reeder
8th August, 2012 @ 07:32 am PDT

Pair this with a Utilikilt and you are Good To Go! /sarcasm.

I'm all about storage for my gear, but this is even too nerdy for me.

Kevin Bayer
8th August, 2012 @ 08:08 am PDT

Pretty sure this is called a Bandoleer and Chewbacca wore one!

Tim M
8th August, 2012 @ 11:30 am PDT

I'll stick with a fanny pack.

Slowburn
9th August, 2012 @ 04:38 am PDT

For designers looking to create something practical, let's not lose sight of the practicality of the fanny/hip pack (just sayin...). The RUNNUR basically takes the 'embarrassing' fanny pack, elongates it and turns it into a hall monitor sash - which is cool too, right? Right.

Stylistically, this is probably best used for meter maids giving out citations.

Steph M.
9th August, 2012 @ 09:53 am PDT

Has everybody forgotten what vests are? Stylish and have those extra needed pockets too.

YukonJack
9th August, 2012 @ 10:36 am PDT

Nice idea, I like it.

I hate that in a hot weather I can't wear anything with plenty of pockets, I need to always carry a backpack for my IDs, wallet, mobiles, keys, tissues, sunglasses, etc. I also use bike for commuting and hate that backpack doesn't let any ventilation at my back when riding.

This one keeps hands free and probably feels almost like wearing nothing special.

For those who practice capoeira whole day or used to walk on their hands :) it may need to lock to the belt but otherwise it seems perfectly balanced and safe to wear.

I always wanted to have such versatile product to keep my pockets and hands free and carry all my small gadgets with me.

I hope I can find it near to have a try.

Imhof Iván