Roku introduces its latest stream box in the form of the Roku 3
By Dave LeClair
March 6, 2013
Roku has just launched an updated version of its popular line of stream boxes, called the Roku 3. The company cites this as the most powerful box it has ever created. Giving credence to that claim is the fact that this is one of two Roku devices that has support for 1080p video streaming. Roku also touts a faster processor in its latest box.
The Roku 3 is the first box from the company to include dual-band Wi-Fi, an ethernet port, and USB. It also includes a new remote with a headphone jack for private listening. The remote doubles as motion-sensing controller, which buyers can try out via the included copy of Angry Birds Space.
The interface has been completely rebuilt for the Roku 3. The layout is more streamlined, which Roku hopes will allow users quicker access to the programing offered within the service. The store and search functions have been integrated into the home screen.
While the new interface is only available on Roku 3 for the time being, the company plans to roll it out on Roku 2 models, Roku HD (model 2500), Roku LT, and the Roku Streaming Stick in April.
The Roku 3 is available now directly from Roku and from other retailers such as Amazon, for US$99.
The video below shows the new Roku interface in action.
- Around The Home
- Digital Cameras
- Good Thinking
- Health and Wellbeing
- Holiday Destinations
- Home Entertainment
- Inventors and Remarkable People
- Mobile Technology
- Urban Transport
- Wearable Electronics
- 2014 Action Camera Comparison Guide
- 2014 Smartwatch Comparison Guide
- 2014 Windows 2-in-1 Comparison Guide
- 2014 Smartphone Comparison Guide
- 2014 Full Frame DSLR Comparison Guide
- 2014 Tablet Comparison Guide
- 2014 Superzoom Camera Comparison Guide
- 2014 iPad Comparison Guide
- 2014 Entry-Level to Enthusiast DSLR Comparison Guide
- 2014 Small Compact Camera Comparison Guide