Highlights from the 2014 LA Auto Show

Reevu aims to be first to bring a motorcycle helmet HUD to market

July 23, 2013

Reevu's proposed motorcycle helmet Heads-Up Display (HUD)

Reevu's proposed motorcycle helmet Heads-Up Display (HUD)

Motorcycle helmet innovator Reevu has come up with what it claims is the world's first commercially available intelligent helmet with a built-in heads-up display, or HUD. While that's a bit misleading – it won't actually be available for another 18-24 months – a HUD for bikers is clearly an exciting prospect, and Reevu with its experience in building in rear-vision capabilities is probably in an excellent position to get it to market.

Details are scant on the proposed HUD system, but here's what we can discern. The HUD information will be displayed as an overlay on the Reevu helmet's rear vision system, not on the main visor. That means you'll still have to flick your eyes up to read it, but it's still better than moving your whole head down to read your speedo as you have to on some motorcycles.

It seems Reevu plans to connect the HUD to the motorcycle's ECU or diagnostics system, as the images display information like engine RPM and fuel consumption data. Reevu has stated it also intends to incorporate things like indicator signals and potentially other "idiot lights." Presumably, then, you'll need an external Bluetooth dongle to attach somewhere on your bike.

Reevu suggests the first version of the Intelligent HUD helmet will be racetrack-focused, with things like lap and split timers installed. Again, some kind of external control like a thumb switch will be needed to trigger lap changes.

Reevu's proposed motorcycle helmet Heads-Up Display (HUD)

This seems like an odd decision. I'd wager the most useful stuff you could put on a motorcycle helmet HUD would be a digital speedo and GPS turn-by-turn navigation prompts. And if Reevu was to build an Android app and an iOS app, it could cover the vast majority of the market without requiring anyone to plug anything into their bike.

Either way, it's certainly a tantalizing proposition and it's hard to imagine HUD displays not being a significant part of motorcycling in 10-20 years' time. Perhaps motorcycle manufacturers will start designing their software systems with this kind of thing in mind.

Reevu is "looking at a target price of UK£700 Sterling" (US$1076) for the intelligent helmet.

Loz Blain Loz has been one of Gizmag's most versatile contributors since 2007. Joining the team as a motorcycle specialist, he has since covered everything from medical and military technology to aeronautics, music gear and historical artefacts. Since 2010 he's branched out into photography, video and audio production, and he remains the only Gizmag contributor willing to put his name to a sex toy review. A singer by night, he's often on the road with his a cappella band Suade.   All articles by Loz Blain

I don't know how successful they will be. Russian company LiveMap already has a prototype and investors so I think that they will win the HUD helmet race. Plus theirs run on Android. And I think adding an external control for lap times would be unwise, why not let the helmet communicate with a lap timer/data logger?

Rohan Barnard
24th July, 2013 @ 02:41 am PDT

LiveMap is funded, but still in development and probably further off their release date then they realize (considering funding and start-ups on average). Reevu has a history with producing products like this... for people on the slopes.

I'm in love with the idea of a HUD and I can't believe it's taking so long to come to market.

A price tag of $1500 is far too much (LiveMap) and $1100 (Reevu) is pushing it. But for a fledgling product such as this I suppose that's how it's going to be.

Erik Guilfoyle
24th July, 2013 @ 04:33 am PDT

Is there room for a light version for cyclers with a rear view option?

Lewis M. Dickens III
24th July, 2013 @ 09:30 am PDT

How much of this information is vitally essential? In driving over 100,000 miles on motorcycles and living to talk about such, I am reminded that distractions can be fatal or brutally unforgiving. Thinking ahead, knowing what is around you ( quickly ), knowing the limitations of the road surface, understanding what your machine can and cannot do, helps. Surviving long enough to gain experience helps greatly. There is a defined curve for accidents of novice riders, vs, experienced ones. Even then, you can be at the mercy of a careless motorist. Most of my friends are dead that drove bikes. Maybe it was my pick of friends? ( A Blue-hair old lady nearly sent me to see God...)

I am reminded somewhat of fighter pilots resisting closed cockpits, wanting access to as much visual information to their surroundings as possible. And yes, mounting my bike and taking off into the ocean of cars, trucks, and bad drivers, I felt at times like said fighter pilot.

PS: ( The Blue-hair had 3 motorcycle stamped black silhouettes on her old Buick. )

lwesson
24th July, 2013 @ 09:39 am PDT

The idea of the helmet HUD is exciting but troubling at the same time. Distraction from the primary purpose of operating a motor vehicle is the cause of most accidents. Whenever I through my leg over my bike I understand that I have become invisible to most motorists and spend a majority of my time keeping track of the traffic around me. Getting distracted is the last thing I want to do!

That being said, the heads up display would be very convenient for those times when I'm not in traffic and could use at leisure.

Wayne the Drifter
24th July, 2013 @ 10:24 am PDT

Why not just get GoogleGlass and be done with it! Not to mention with GLASS you can use it in other ways other then on your bike & it's the same price! OH, and it's out now! LOL This item is just to much, to late! Maybe if it becomes standard in helmets or a cheap add-on, if not it won't last!

Stephen Cranford
24th July, 2013 @ 11:00 am PDT

The SportVue HUD was some years back a very interesting gaged .It was expensive and complicated to install but installed on your own helmed .Is this one better? We will see when it comes to marked.

Piet LF
24th July, 2013 @ 11:34 am PDT

I hope it's not distracting.

Wayne the Drifter
24th July, 2013 @ 12:01 pm PDT

Reevu has had a rear view motorcycle helmet available to most of the world for several years. They have never sold this in the US market that i am aware of. they have concentrated selling this in the UK and italy.

They have avoided selling this in the US. This product used an optical light tube to reflect the rear vision on the upper part of the helmet vision area. I had considered this an important product to enhance driver safety.

To be charitable i understand that they wish to use their UK factory for manufacturing and cannot support global sales.

My motorcycle riding days are behind me now but even if they were not i would not buy a reevu product due to what i perceive as

anti US discrimination. Further i had contacted congress that overseas patents should not necessarily be honored if they would not put their product on the US market or License it to another company to do so.

Charles Dansreau
24th July, 2013 @ 12:01 pm PDT

SORRY, but the idea, as it currently is, is stupid and lacking.

People, the helmet should have REARVIEW , not all that colorful crap.

The bike rider is distracted enough already. Being able to see all around the driver would help. Cram all the maps and other stuff.

Wake up, corporations. Get us a truly useful electric helmet!

Dan Lewis
24th July, 2013 @ 02:23 pm PDT

There have been helmet displays marketed in years past. Probably not this expensive. I suspect they failed, at least partially, due to what has been pointed out here. Information overload. When you are working to ensure the BDC (Brain Dead Cagers) are not ruining your day the last thing you need is an overlay in your field of view.

REScott
24th July, 2013 @ 03:04 pm PDT

No way something like this should cost a penny more than $400US. Period.

Fritz Menzel
24th July, 2013 @ 07:02 pm PDT

Have to agree with much of the above, the rear view would be nice, I have mirrors for that too, But the rest of the stuff is little more than a distraction that I don't need while riding! Plus I am sure that this is a full skid lid ! Don't like them, as I also want to hear whats going on around me too!

Steve Gaichin
24th July, 2013 @ 08:36 pm PDT

I like the concept of a HUD as it should provide information without having to divert too much attention from where you should be looking. It's not like you are going to check your speedo half way round a corner with your knee dragging the pavement, so I don't see distraction being an issue.

Passing our ADR's might be another thing.............

Martin Hone
24th July, 2013 @ 08:46 pm PDT

Primary function of a Helmet is protecting head. For adequate protection a helmet should have CLOSE FITTING. To achieve close fitting there are 15 sizes measuring from 500 to 640 mm with difference of 10 mm. Further the variation in width of head is defined by CEPHALIC INDEX. The motorcycle riders and even Combat Helicopter Pilots with HUD helmets do not know about sizing and fitting therefore manufacturers do not manufacture Helmets in all sizes and shapes. Improper fitting causes more hazard at High Speed. The riders must measure their head size with a measuring tape and according select proper size. The comfort padding contact gives wrong impression of proper fitting. I came across several accident cases where motorcyclist reached alive to Hospital and died on removal of Helmet.

Gyan Prakash
25th July, 2013 @ 11:14 am PDT

A racer might use it on straights, it would be a hell of a distraction in corners. Looking down at the gauges still leaves the road in the background.

At low speeds I often ride with my helmet partly open which might complicate things. I am not sure if people will pay two or three times the price of the average helmet.

@Charles they were probably worried about Americans blaming it for accidents and suing them

Ozuzi
25th July, 2013 @ 03:46 pm PDT

Some comments are discerning that they don't want a distraction. This helmet is for professional riders or those that have experience with multi-functional display systems (MFDS). I see a future where the HUD comes with digital imagery where the road is displayed with objects scanned during foggy, raining, or obscured driving conditions. Thermal imaging can help in dead of night moments or GPS maps can assist the rider. Highway riding is different than city riding so the rider can decide on utilizing the HUD or not. Be professional.

fsa0033
27th July, 2013 @ 01:48 pm PDT

re: fsa0033

Is that professional riders such as couriers who have to watch for cars, or racers who get passed by other racers?

Neither watch the gauges they currently have.

Ozuzi
30th July, 2013 @ 07:46 pm PDT

Is anyone else here concerned with the fact that the person, in the first slide show picture, is driving a motorcycle that is only getting 28.2 MPG's as indicated by their HUD?

DB Nemesis
20th August, 2013 @ 07:34 am PDT

I think this is really cool. I cant wait to try this helmet.

Sean Kennedy
26th August, 2013 @ 10:06 pm PDT

Integrating with smart phones is a must. Trying to do it all in a proprietary system is going to be a niche market at best.

Richard Cook