Decision time? Read Gizmag's latest product comparisons

Battery-powered plasma flashlight makes short work of bacteria

By

April 5, 2012

The handheld plasma flashlight that can rid the skin of bacteria in an instant (Image: X. ...

The handheld plasma flashlight that can rid the skin of bacteria in an instant (Image: X. Pei et al., Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics)

An international team of scientists has created a handheld, battery powered device that has been shown to effectively rid skin of bacteria in an instant by blasting it with plasma. The plasma flashlight, which shouldn’t be confused with a plasma torch that will damage much more than bacteria if used on the skin, could provide a convenient way for paramedics and military personnel to deal with harmful bacteria in the field.

The self-contained device is powered by a 12 V battery and doesn’t require any external gas feed or handling system. The plume of plasma it generates is between 20-23°C (68-73.4°F), so it won’t damage the skin. It is also fitted with resistors to stop it heating up and becoming too hot to touch. Its creators say it can also be easily manufactured at a cost of less than US$100 per unit.

In an experiment carried out by the scientists, the plasma flashlight effectively inactivated thick biofilms of Enterococcus faecalis, a bacterium that often infects the root canals in dental treatments and is highly antibiotic- and heat-resistant. Created by incubating the bacteria for seven days, the biofilms consisted of 17 different layers of bacteria. After treating each biofilm with the plasma flashlight for five minutes, the plasma was found to penetrate deep into the very bottom layer and inactivate the bacteria.

“In this study we chose an extreme example to demonstrate that the plasma flashlight can be very effective even at room temperature,” said co-author of the study, Professor Kostya (Ken) Ostrikov, from the Plasma Nanoscience Centre Australia, CSIRO Materials Science and Engineering. “For individual bacteria, the inactivation time could be just tens of seconds.”

While plasma has previously been shown to effectively kill bacteria and viruses on the surface of the skin and water, the exact mechanism behind this is still not understood. Ultraviolet radiation has been theorized as a reason, but the jet created by the plasma flashlight is low in UV radiation, which adds to the safety of using the device on a person’s skin. The reactions between the plasma and the surrounding air has also been suggested as another possibility.

The international team behind the plasma flashlight consists of scientists from Huazhong University of Science and Technology, CSIRO Materials Science and Engineering, The University of Sydney and the City University of Hong Kong. Their work is detailed in the Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics.

Source: Institute of Physics

About the Author
Darren Quick Darren's love of technology started in primary school with a Nintendo Game & Watch Donkey Kong (still functioning) and a Commodore VIC 20 computer (not still functioning). In high school he upgraded to a 286 PC, and he's been following Moore's law ever since. This love of technology continued through a number of university courses and crappy jobs until 2008, when his interests found a home at Gizmag.   All articles by Darren Quick
Tags
7 Comments

Lovely! Where is the purchase button?

MasterG
5th April, 2012 @ 01:02 am PDT

Well,That's amazing...Outstanding...free antivirus

BrianAndrew40
5th April, 2012 @ 01:24 am PDT

Um, question - if they don't know how it kills the bacteria, how do they know it doesn't damage the skin exposed to it?

Kim Holder
5th April, 2012 @ 06:43 am PDT

This may be essential for long term survival in Space. Bacteria up there are getting MUCH more virulent while human immune defenses break down with time in that unusual environment.

nehopsa
5th April, 2012 @ 09:06 am PDT

I wonder if this device will kill bacteria in the mouth? If so, no more cavities, no more gum disease, no more dentists. Just as well I am retired!

anobium
5th April, 2012 @ 10:38 am PDT

For mouth bacteria, brushing or rinse/swallowing with Glycerin works almost instantly, by dehydration. Tastes sweet, too. Gets right down to the roots. Too cheap for dentists and dental hygienists etc. to use, however.

Brian Hall
5th April, 2012 @ 02:30 pm PDT

Shut up and take my money! Seriously this flashlight thing is nice. It will be awesome when they come out with a plug in or wall mountable unit that can do the same thing for people who need to sanitize but may not have particulate contaminants that need washing off when cleaning hands. The nursing and medical fields will love this company forever.

VirtualGathis
6th April, 2012 @ 04:03 am PDT
Post a Comment

Login with your gizmag account:

Or Login with Facebook:


Related Articles
Looking for something? Search our 28,704 articles