Shopping? Check out our latest product comparisons

Philips launches clear LED bulb with the look of an incandescent

April 1, 2014

The new Philips clear LED bulb

The new Philips clear LED bulb

It's no secret that LED bulbs are far more efficient than traditional incandescent lights. One drawback, though, is a different look than the bulbs that people are accustomed to. Philips has just launched a new clear LED bulb that features the traditional light bulb shape and look, but with the efficiency benefits of modern offerings.

Aside from keeping the traditional bulb shape, Philips also designed its clear LED to feature the same type of lighting as users expect from a traditional filament bulb. Additionally, it's built in such a way that it can emit the light in all directions, instead of focusing it in a specific area in the way many LED bulbs do.

The bulb itself is a 40-watt equivalent pushing 470 lumens, and it's dimmable, which should give it some more versatility for use in different settings throughout the home. It features a 2700K color temperature, which is a warm white light, similar to the color of most incandescent bulbs.

Philips plans to release the bulbs in July, with an MSRP of €8.99 (about US$12).

Source: Philips

Dave LeClair Dave is an avid follower of all things mobile, gaming, and any kind of new technology he can get his hands on. Ever since he first played an NES as a child, he's been an absolute tech and gaming junkie.   All articles by Dave LeClair

I notice there is no picture showing just how it lights up a room. Does it give even all over lighting or are there hotspots?

The other thing, why 40W equivalent, do they expect everyone to live in semi darkness or are we supposed to run 5 or 6 of then to light a room?

ivan4
1st April, 2014 @ 03:35 pm PDT

40 watt equivalent seems to be some kind of limit to cheap LED bulbs

any more and the price seems to be way higher.

wle
2nd April, 2014 @ 08:21 am PDT

The new Cree and cob led's are amazing and very bright, LED's have came a long way in the last few years, as they now have voltage regulators witch I have found, increase there life and there application, as they can be hooked up to 85 - 266 volts. and some of the low voltage AC bulbs work on AC or DC.

I'm almost waiting for the next hurricane, as I will be the only one on the block with the house lights all on, do to there low power consumption on my generator. (Florida)

Jay Finke
2nd April, 2014 @ 09:42 am PDT

All very cute, but I have to echo what has already been said: give me a true 100W equivalent or higher bulb. I don't really CARE what it looks like, that's what lamp shades are for! dimmable would be nice, but I refuse to live life by candle light! Heck, capitalize on the fact that it's NOT a light BULB and give me options like ceiling grid, wall grid and, yes, even patio grid diffuse lighting!

Bryan P
2nd April, 2014 @ 10:42 pm PDT

Perhaps 40W equivalent is the maximum without overheating, since this bulb doesn't have obvious heat sink. Inevitably higher wattage LED bulbs would need to have built-in cooling fan.

MrGadget
3rd April, 2014 @ 08:59 am PDT

Adding my voice to the chorus. I would urge Cree to please come up with a clesar LED bulb that provides as much light as a 100-watt incandescent. I'm very glad they're designed a clear LED, as those others are pretty unsightly. So now let's move it up a few notches in brightness, please, Cree?

writergrrl