Philips launches clear LED bulb with the look of an incandescent
By Dave LeClair
April 1, 2014
It's no secret that LED bulbs are far more efficient than traditional incandescent lights. One drawback, though, is a different look than the bulbs that people are accustomed to. Philips has just launched a new clear LED bulb that features the traditional light bulb shape and look, but with the efficiency benefits of modern offerings.
Aside from keeping the traditional bulb shape, Philips also designed its clear LED to feature the same type of lighting as users expect from a traditional filament bulb. Additionally, it's built in such a way that it can emit the light in all directions, instead of focusing it in a specific area in the way many LED bulbs do.
The bulb itself is a 40-watt equivalent pushing 470 lumens, and it's dimmable, which should give it some more versatility for use in different settings throughout the home. It features a 2700K color temperature, which is a warm white light, similar to the color of most incandescent bulbs.
Philips plans to release the bulbs in July, with an MSRP of €8.99 (about US$12).
- Around The Home
- Digital Cameras
- Good Thinking
- Health and Wellbeing
- Holiday Destinations
- Home Entertainment
- Inventors and Remarkable People
- Mobile Technology
- Urban Transport
- Wearable Electronics
- 2014 Action Camera Comparison Guide
- 2014 Smartwatch Comparison Guide
- 2014 Windows 2-in-1 Comparison Guide
- 2014 Smartphone Comparison Guide
- 2014 Full Frame DSLR Comparison Guide
- 2014 Tablet Comparison Guide
- 2014 Superzoom Camera Comparison Guide
- 2014 iPad Comparison Guide
- 2014 Entry-Level to Enthusiast DSLR Comparison Guide
- 2014 Small Compact Camera Comparison Guide