Shopping? Check out our latest product comparisons

Panasonic unveils massive 20-inch 4K tablet at CES

January 10, 2013

An accompanying digital pen can be used for precision an to record natural handwriting, but a finger works just as well for swiping through pages and general navigation

Panasonic might be getting outshined a little at CES 2013 as competitors like LG and Samsung show off their unique takes on 4K-resolution TVs, but that doesn't mean it didn't find its own creative use for 4K technology. On the show floor, the company demoed a new 20-inch tablet that runs Windows 8 on a 4K resolution ISP-alpha display.

The tablet certainly attracted a crowd of onlookers at Panasonic's CES booth, likely drawn by its monstrous screen. The tablet has been designed with a wide viewing angle so 4K content can easily be shared with others.

The screen displays images at a 3840 x 2560 resolution in a 15:10 aspect ratio, which leaves the pixels almost imperceptible from up close. It uses a 1.8 Ghz Intel Corei5 processor to smoothly run applications on Windows 8 Pro, including Adobe Photoshop. An accompanying digital pen can be used for precision and to record natural handwriting, but a finger works just as well for swiping through pages and general navigation.

It's quite a bit heavier than other tablets on the market at 5.3 lbs (2.4 kg), but that's to be expected with the much larger screen. On the other hand, its 0.4-inch thickness rivals many smaller-sized tablets on the market and Panasonic claims it is the lightest and thinnest 20-inch tablet currently known to the public (not that the competition is fierce in the 20-inch sector).

Panasonic claims it is the lightest and thinnest 20-inch tablet currently known to the pub...

Panasonic is aiming the tablet towards consumers in professional graphics fields, like photographers and architects. Its booth provided many examples for how the tablet could be put to use in a work environment, such as creating interactive marketing demonstrations, monitoring a live camera during a photo shoot, or altering architectural blueprints on the fly to share remotely with others.

The samples being shown at Panasonic's booth responded beautifully to touch commands and displayed some of the sharper images we've seen at E3 – quite a feat given the number of 4K screens being shown. It's size may be a bit outlandish, but the company is definitely putting its best foot forward with this one.

Panasonic has not finalized all aspects of the tablet just yet, but here are the specs for the samples shown at CES:

• 20-inch IPS-alpha display panel
  • 3840 x 2560 (230ppi) resolution
  • 15:10 aspect ratio
  • Windows 8 Pro OS
  • Intel Corei5 3427U vPro 1.8 Ghz CPU
  • NVIDIA GeForce Graphics
  • 4GB memory (max is 16 GB)
  • 128GB SSD storage
  • High resolution digital pen (Anoto live pen)
  • IEEE802.11a/b/g/n, Bluetooth V4.0 wireless
  • USB 2.0 x 1
  • micro SD card (SDXC) x 1
  • Embedded camera with HD 720p Max. resolution, 1280x720 pixel (front)
  • Up to 2 hours battery life (using internal battery)
  • 18.7"(L) x 13.1"(W) x 0.4"(H)
  • 5.3 lbs

Unfortunately, Panasonic has not revealed any pricing just yet, but the new tablet is expected to be released later this year.

Jonathan Fincher Jonathan grew up in Norway, China, and Trinidad before graduating film school and becoming an online writer covering green technology, history and design, as well as contributing to video game news sites like Filefront and 1Up. He currently resides in Texas, where his passions include video games, comics, and boring people who don't want to talk about either of those things.   All articles by Jonathan Fincher

Love to see how pressure-sensitive, if at all, the stylus is. If it approached the utility and responsiveness of a Wacom Cintiq, I could see this thing selling like hotcakes for digital artists and designers.

Dave MacLachlan
10th January, 2013 @ 01:09 pm PST

@Dave MacLachlan

4k pricing is still going to be in the stratosphere for a while. I don't think many artists could afford one yet :)

Daishi
11th January, 2013 @ 01:36 am PST

So... the dimensions given suggest an A3 screen - Nice, but Panasonic really ought to look at providing an easel-type docking station with added connectivity.

Add a keyboard and mouse, and you've effectively got both a desktop AND a tablet - even nicer!

But, start thinking of likely prices, and all the joy you've just had goes out the window...

leafygreen
11th January, 2013 @ 08:28 am PST

I'm interested in all advancements in tech, but it's still just a tablet yet any tablet that can perform in area's of work is positive. some have pointed out it's a small niche and it's still just for advertising to consumers.

slayerwulfe
11th January, 2013 @ 08:29 am PST

Finally! I have been wanting Apple to put me together a 21" Tablet that I can use in my easy chair instead of trucking into the study and using the desktop.

I suppose I am the only one, so I don't see it happening.

I use my iPad almost all the time because it is so darn convenient. With an option to use a larger one while sitting on the couch with my wife would be great. We also like to watch movies while in bed on an iPad a larger screen would certainly make it better.

Isn't there anyone else who would like one?

Apple, I will take two please.

Dr. Veritas
11th January, 2013 @ 08:34 am PST

A low power hungry core-i3-T processor would be a better fit for this device. Listen to me Panasonic! Make a 15-17" low power consumption tablet and all musicians and musical students will buy it! Make a good software to help musical studies and all parents will buy it for their kids!

If you will not going to do this, then Casio or Yamaha should!

Oleg Fialkovsky
11th January, 2013 @ 09:04 am PST

I wonder if we should be looking for a word other than tablet to describe these larger screen devices? To me, once you go beyond the size of a paper tablet, the electronic device should be named something else. Any ideas?

bhull@pbs
11th January, 2013 @ 09:23 am PST

the toys get fancier every day... the tools dont even get made anymore.

Artisteroi Rlsh Gadgeteer
11th January, 2013 @ 10:24 am PST

20" Tablet...LOL!!!! The whole idea of a tablet is CONVENICE. I want to drop it in my briefcase or a sleeve. This 'tablet' (maybe panasonic should call it the "Electronic Blackboard") looks like you'll have to put it in your car's trunk or buy another bus or train ticket for a seat to sit it on!

Pks29733steel
11th January, 2013 @ 11:11 am PST

Can't see the point. Could never see the point to tablets in the first place. Just another example of over consumerism. When are we going to wake up to ourselves.

Gnarls Reece
11th January, 2013 @ 12:58 pm PST

now that's more like it. I'd probably even put up with windows 8 to get one of these.

convenience isn't JUST about size. Who says 10" is the only ordained size? 10" is too small still for a lot of things. I often use remote desktop on my iPad to manage work servers, and the extra screen real-estate would be welcome. Also for watching movies 20" would be awesome.

As long as it's not too heavy to hold up.

Adrien
11th January, 2013 @ 03:11 pm PST

Fantastic! It always confounds me that people want whole categories of product to be the same... why? There are a plethora of light, small tablets out there to choose from. This would change the way I work every day in such a positive way. Yes it's niche, but I would imagine it's a huge niche. Designers, architects, photographers, anyone working in visual industries, not to mention anyone requiring a client presentation tool that in any way reflects the quality of the work produced. I have been hoping for something like this for so long.... please get it to market!

shy
11th January, 2013 @ 03:17 pm PST

@gnarls reece. just because you don't see the point doesn't mean it's not there.

I actually already have one of these... only mine's made by Wacom and called a Cintiq and a lot heaver than this. They're incredibly useful for creative design work, digital art, etc. I prefer using my Cintiq for pretty much everything. Even gaming. About the only thing it doesn't feel better for is word processing.

M. Scott Veach
12th January, 2013 @ 12:38 am PST

Tablet may not be a misnomer for a 20" device. Weren't the Ten Commandments written on tablets about that size? This gizmo sounds about as convenient as a stone tablet.

Leon Duminiak
14th January, 2013 @ 07:25 am PST

oh oh two hours battery life?? thats your first mistake but however the 128gb storage is a good move. why people are still making 8, 16,or 32gb devices is beyond me due to high definition and high mega pixel rated cams. the minimum should be no less then 64gb and that is almost too small. Regards (Freelance Eng.(designer of smartphone tech.)

Dave Hargraves
14th January, 2013 @ 10:57 am PST

I have an image in my mind of a concert crowd with everyone holding up one of these giant tablets, using it for a camera, so no-one can see anything except the tablet of the one in front of him that's recording what's on the screen of the one if front of /him/, and so on. And the performers on the stage are not real but holographic anime characters. Next, the tablets are not held up by people at all, but by half-sentient robotic painter's easels. Then all the performers and tablets and patrons wink out and slump one by one as their batteries fail, and the hall custodians, also robots, wake to move in to stack everybody and everything against a wall so they can sweep. Meanwhile outside in the snow an old man in fingerless gloves plays a violin.

Marco McClean
14th January, 2013 @ 03:20 pm PST

This product would pair well with a sheet music app. Preferably one that detects music and turns pages. I have been dreaming this scenario for years.

Tony Bruce