Decision time? Check out our latest product comparisons

Nitecore "Tiny Monster" flashlight belts out 3,500 lumens

April 22, 2013

Nitecore's Tiny Monster TM26

Nitecore's Tiny Monster TM26

When it comes to electronic gadgets, consumers like to see more power packed into a smaller device. With that in mind, all the flashlight geeks out there should be fans of Nitecore’s new Tiny Monster TM26 – it’s billed as the world’s smallest 3,500-lumen flashlight.

The hard-anodized aluminum-bodied TM26 utilizes four Cree XM-L LEDs. These are protected by coated mineral glass lenses and powered by four 18650 or eight CR123 rechargeable lithium-ion batteries. Those batteries are charged via an AC adapter that plugs directly into the flashlight.

Should you not feel the need for 3,500 lumens at all times, you can switch between eight brightness levels – along with other modes – via a single multi-function switch. An OLED display indicates not only the selected level of brightness, but also battery status, battery voltage, approximate run time remaining, and operating temperature.

The hard-anodized aluminum TM26 utilizes four Cree XM-L LEDs, protected by coated mineral ...

Run times vary with the brightness level and the type of batteries selected. If the four 18650s are used, however, it can reportedly put out 3,500 lumens for 45 minutes, ranging to an output of three lumens for 1,000 hours.

The flashlight is also waterproof to IPX-8 standard, meaning that it can be submersed down to two meters. It has a beam distance of 415 meters (1,362 feet).

The Nitecore Tiny Monster TM26 is available now, for US$390. It can be seen getting tossed around in the video below.

Source: Nitecore via ThinkGeek

Ben Coxworth An experienced freelance writer, videographer and television producer, Ben's interest in all forms of innovation is particularly fanatical when it comes to human-powered transportation, film-making gear, environmentally-friendly technologies and anything that's designed to go underwater. He lives in Edmonton, Alberta, where he spends a lot of time going over the handlebars of his mountain bike, hanging out in off-leash parks, and wishing the Pacific Ocean wasn't so far away.   All articles by Ben Coxworth

Ok, at 3500 lumens, it's a cool flashlight. That said, that was the silliest video demonstrating it's "ruggedness" I've seen in a long time. I have a half dozen AA maglights and tiny Coast LED lights that easily handle the same "tortures". Oh, and they all cost less than $20.

So, that said, this looks like a really cool light and, if it's built to high enough standards to last a long time, it may well be worth the price (which isn't totally outrageous considering it's output at it's size).

As for the video, don't bother unless you want an example of it's output. I've rolled myself down more rugged terrain that that light saw...

Vince Pack
22nd April, 2013 @ 08:00 pm PDT

3,500 lumens, maybe.

But for around $60 (less than 1/5 the money), you can get an LED headlight for bicycles on Ebay that puts out 3,000 lumens. Bolted to the battery pack, it would be even smaller than this flashlight.

Don't get me wrong, this looks like a nice product. But it's over-engineered and over-priced.

Anne Ominous
22nd April, 2013 @ 09:22 pm PDT

If anyone actually believes that a stated lumen output of 3500 lumens is the actual working lumens then more fool them.

Jabboson
22nd April, 2013 @ 11:00 pm PDT

+1 to the comments above. This thing is awesome but too pricey. Packs of 4 x 400lm, 4w, 12v downlights are under $25 online. Try saying that fast 3 times! OK, I'd like one of these in my bag if the landing lights on the old Cessna fail but for now, I'll wait for prices to come down.

Hogey74
22nd April, 2013 @ 11:39 pm PDT

Most the stuff didn't look too hard but he did kind of throw it in a stream to clean it off which was cool.

If it is really 3,500 LM and not just claimed it is impressive. A lot of LED "spotlights" aren't more than 300 lumens. I think that would put it up there with some of the halogen spotlights rated in millions of candle power.

Daishi
23rd April, 2013 @ 12:21 am PDT

Vince

I agree he basically slapped it, it came to the point when I thought he was going to throw it left handed into a bush or a pillow, what a joke. if he would have hooked it to a fishing pole and dropped it down a few fathoms, or kicked it like he had a pair. this would have impressed me, but he treated it like it was a 6 cell Mag light.

These new CREE lights are amazing, they have came a long way with LED's in the last few years.

Jay Finke
23rd April, 2013 @ 01:00 am PDT

@Jay

Cree seems to be dominating LED flashlights. You can find a handful of flashlights that use just one Cree XM-L LEDs for a mostly reasonable price. They list anywhere from 750 to 1000lm.

My best flashlight is an older $45 EagleTac rated at 220 lm that uses a Cree Q5 which itself is pretty blinding. Every year I go camping it is usually the brightest flashlight in camp. A $60 800 lm flashlight like the Nitecore MT26 is tempting but I don't think I would have night vision left if I used one.

I recently bought one of the mini $6 "300lm" cree lights and it isn't as bright as my EagleTac but for a $6 light that uses a single AA battery it is a steal.

Daishi
23rd April, 2013 @ 01:55 am PDT

I think the XML bin T2 LED's can produce about 900 lumens at peak power, but when driven this hard it won't last as long as it should. Most of the Chinese manufacturers just multiply the max possibly output of the LED's they use by the number of LED's and slap that on the product as the output. They normally only produce about 40% (the really low end ones you buy on eBay for $50) to 65% (more established manufacturers like Magicshine) of stated lumens. MTBR.com does really good reviews on all sorts of bike lights (some self-contained or cordless lights like this flashlight). My guess is that this light truly only makes about 1800 lumens. Not bad at all, but way short of the stated output. See http://reviews.mtbr.com/2013-bike-lights-shootout

Also, the batteries this light will ship with most likely will not be high quality. Battery life is about the most important thing in a light.

habakak
23rd April, 2013 @ 11:52 am PDT

HAHAHA. It's an impressive flashlight on paper. But the "toughness" demonstration had me laughing like a drunkard. Seriously, they rolled it down some muddy banks and the kid kicked it like he was playing soccer with toddlers. I have a 1.5 year old nephew that would give it a better go than that!!!

Richard A. Springer
23rd April, 2013 @ 12:15 pm PDT

I have the TM11 at only 2000 lumens, it kicks serious light, robust, and people avoid you when it is on high, think your are a cop, brighter than a car head light, And I have no intentions of throwing or tossing my TM11, I am not a moron, I take care of my stuff, throwing my flashlight would be like kicking my car, and that would be STUPID.

Bill Bennett
23rd April, 2013 @ 08:57 pm PDT

What a silly video....I mean, if you have an LED flashlight that can't take the bumps that they are putting this flashlight through, then throw it away! All LED flashlights should be able to take this kind of beating!

As for the $400 price tag? You gotta be kidding me! I purchased a 1,000 lumen CREE UltraFire for $20. It came with two 1850 rechargeable batteries and a charger. If I buy them in bulk I can get them for $15 each! So if I take 4 of these things, strap them together with a rubber band I get 4,000 lumens for $60....and I can vary my output too by turning on or off each flashlight.

Yeah...$400 is quite steep to pay for this flashlight!

Ed
23rd April, 2013 @ 11:28 pm PDT

At $390, it had better wash my car, do my dishes and vacuum my house. You can get 1000 lumen flashlites for A LOT less money. Waterproof to only two meters is pretty lame. I don't see that it is listed to be Mil-spec anywhere either. A fool and his money is soon parted.

RESISTANCE
10th May, 2013 @ 10:54 am PDT

I have two Nitecore flashlights, a nitecore tiny monster tm15 and a Nitecore P25 smilodon. The tm15 is a similar size to the tm26 and I really never use my tm15. My p25 on the other hand, is able to fit into a pocket and is nowhere near as heavy as the tm15 so it actually gets used.

I have to say the tm26 is nice and bright like a tm15, but I don't know how useful it is, the p25 at 860 lumens is far nicer.

SuperJohn
27th May, 2013 @ 12:13 pm PDT

I think the Nitecore company has some really fantastic flashlights. However, this tiny monster looks way too goofy for my taste.In fact I can't even find a need for some many lumens anyway. I will stick with the EC25 and I consider it the best flashlight.

Brian Hook
30th August, 2013 @ 05:29 pm PDT

Rich Boys Toy-that's it's biggest selling feature. You'll just have to own it to prove you can.

I'll wait for the yardsale version.

Willis Ronald Linn
15th October, 2013 @ 04:13 am PDT

I always praise a torch, when its a lifesaver bright, tough (enough for your personal tastes) and small enough to be right where u need it, your pocket, car, toolbox for that emergency. Lighting up the sky is the job of permanent power lighting, and it is nice to have that brightness sometimes, but for that price I personally feel its a bit (LOT) out of my price-point.

Last flashlight I bought was less than $5 came with 4 AAA batteries, a very durable steel tube with knurled ends and is very bright for my up close househould/car jobs, its so light, small and cheap that I bought 4 and keep one in every place I'd need them. This $00 torch would be in my Safe at home when my emergency arrived in the woods.

PaulYak