Nike is actually making the MAG shoes from Back To The Future II
By Ben Coxworth
September 8, 2011
Well, you may have heard rumblings about hints made at a mysterious press event that just took place in Los Angeles, but now it's official: Nike will be auctioning off 1,500 pairs of NIKE MAG high-top sneakers, just like the ones worn in the year 2015 by Michael J. Fox in Back to the Future II. While it isn't clear if the shoes automatically fit themselves to the wearer's feet (as Marty McFly's did), they are at the very least exact visual replicas of the kicks from the movie.
Starting today at 8:30PM PST, 150 pairs of the shoes will go up for auction daily on eBay's Fashion Vault. The event will last for ten days, with all net proceeds going directly to The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research. In fact, all proceeds will be effectively doubled, through a prior US$50 million match donation to the foundation.
The shoes themselves have the same contours as the original pair, along with those shoes' glowing LED panel and electroluminescent NIKE logo in the strap. Pinching the "ear" of the high top will cause the LEDs will glow, with about five hours of glow time possible per charge - evidently, the MAGs don't generate their own power.
Now, if only someone can get working on the jacket with the self-adjusting sleeves that he wore with those shoes ...
- Around The Home
- Digital Cameras
- Good Thinking
- Health and Wellbeing
- Holiday Destinations
- Home Entertainment
- Inventors and Remarkable People
- Mobile Technology
- Urban Transport
- Wearable Electronics
- 2014 Action Camera Comparison Guide
- 2014 Smartwatch Comparison Guide
- 2014 Windows 2-in-1 Comparison Guide
- 2014 Smartphone Comparison Guide
- 2014 Full Frame DSLR Comparison Guide
- 2014 Tablet Comparison Guide
- 2014 Superzoom Camera Comparison Guide
- 2014 iPad Comparison Guide
- 2014 Entry-Level to Enthusiast DSLR Comparison Guide
- 2014 Small Compact Camera Comparison Guide