Nikon introduces new COOLPIX cameras
September 8, 2010
Shortly after launching the new COOLPIX S1100pj with inbuilt projector, Nikon has announced three new COOLPIX cameras to its COOLPIX range. The P7000, S8100 and the S80 are filled with functions and specs you don’t often see on point-and-shoot cameras. All three cameras feature Nikon’s exclusive EXPEED C2 high performance digital image processing engine and Nikkor Ed glass lenses.
At the top of the series, the COOLPIX P7000 boasts full manual controls and advanced shooting options including Low Noise Night Mode and a Noise Reduction Filter. The 10.1-megapixel camera features a large 1/1.7 inch CCD sensor and a 7.1x wide angle optical zoom lens. You can shoot at night without a flash with ISO sensitivity ranging from ISO 100 to 6400 (expandable to ISO 12,800 in Low Noise Night Mode). The P7000 also features a 5-Way VR Image Stabilization System, which helps minimize the effect of camera shake to help banish blur while shooting handheld or in low-light. The Zoom Memory function allows the camera’s 28-200mm (35mm equivalent) lens to be used in a way that resembles the use of a prime lens. The camera also features controls for key features like ISO, white balance, bracketing and exposure compensation.
While you are bound to have a lot fun taking some serious pictures on this camera, you may have even more fun using the video recording option. The P7000 records 720p HD video at 24 frames-per-second (fps) with optical zoom and auto-focus control. It also allows you to record audio with an external stereo microphone via the microphone input, where an accessory microphone or Nikon Speed-light can be mounted on the P7000’s hot shoe.
Without the manual controls, the COOLPIX S8100 offers a 12.1-megapixel backside illumination CMOS sensor and features like a pre-shooting cache that records up to two shots before the shutter-release is fully pressed. The Sports Continuous mode records up to approximately 120 fps, with automatic “subject tracking” activating auto-focus for every shot. The S8100 is equipped with a 10x optical zoom lens (30-300mm, 35mm equivalent) and movie recording abilities in full 1080p HD with an in-camera editing function. To further help the process of composing movies, the COOLPIX S8100 features a 3.0-inch (76.2 mm) ultra high resolution (921,000-dot) Clear Color Display with a wide viewing angle and anti-glare coating.
In comparison, the new COOLPIX S80 is designed as a fun, no fuss compact camera. With a bright 3.5-inch (88.9 mm) high resolution organic LED touch screen, a wide viewing angle (approximately 180 degrees), brightness control and an anti-reflection coating, the S80’s touch screen display makes it easy to compose and view photos or 720p HD movies. The S80 features a 14.1-megapixel CCD sensor, 5x Wide-Angle optical zoom lens (35-175mm, 35mm equivalent), 5-Way vibration reduction and Image Stabilization System, Motion Detection, ISO settings up to 6400 and Best Shot Selector, which automatically takes up to ten shots while the shutter-release button is pressed, and then selects and saves the sharpest image.
The COOLPIX S80 is surprising slim, measuring 0.7-inches (18 mm) in width, and can easily be slipped into any pocket or small handbag. Sliding the lens cover turns the camera on and off. The Retouch Menu lets users easily adjust images in-camera with the touch of a finger by choosing from a wide range of functions, including Color Options, Soft Focus, Selective Color, Cross Screen, Miniature Effect and Fish-eye Effect. In addition, the S80 features a new rating function that allows users to rate their photos with up to five stars and sort images according to their rating. The S80 also features 720p HD Movie mode, with optical zoom and stereo sound available during recording.
- COOLPIX P700, US$499.95, available in black.
- COOLPIX S8100, US$299.95, in a choice of colors including black, red and gold.
- The COOLPIX S80, US$329.95, in a choice of colors including red, black, blue, pink, gold and silver/brown.
- Nikon Coolpix P7000 10.1 MP Digital Camera with 7.1x Wide Zoom-Nikkor ED Lens and 3-Inch LCD
- Nikon Coolpix S8100 12.1 MP CMOS Digital Camera with 10x Optical Zoom-Nikkor ED Lens and 3.0-Inch LCD (Black)
- Nikon Coolpix S8100 12.1 MP CMOS Digital Camera with 10x Zoom-Nikkor ED Lens and 3.0-Inch LCD (Red)
- Nikon Coolpix S8100 12.1 MP CMOS Digital Camera with 10x Zoom-Nikkor ED Lens and 3.0-Inch LCD
- Nikon Coolpix S80 14.1 MP Digital Camera with 3.5-Inch OLED Touchscreen and 5x Wide-Angle Zoom Nikkor ED Lens (Red)
- Nikon Coolpix S80 14.1 MP Digital Camera with 3.5-Inch OLED Touchscreen and 5x Wide-Angle Zoom Nikkor ED Lens (Gold)
- Around The Home
- Digital Cameras
- Good Thinking
- Health and Wellbeing
- Holiday Destinations
- Home Entertainment
- Inventors and Remarkable People
- Mobile Technology
- Urban Transport
- Wearable Electronics
- 2014 Action Camera Comparison Guide
- 2014 Smartwatch Comparison Guide
- 2014 Windows 2-in-1 Comparison Guide
- 2014 Smartphone Comparison Guide
- 2014 Full Frame DSLR Comparison Guide
- 2014 Tablet Comparison Guide
- 2014 Superzoom Camera Comparison Guide
- 2014 iPad Comparison Guide
- 2014 Entry-Level to Enthusiast DSLR Comparison Guide
- 2014 Small Compact Camera Comparison Guide