Canon announces four new additions to Powershot line
By Paul Ridden
February 28, 2010
Canon recently announced some new additions to its popular Powershot line of compact cameras. One of them boasts a respectable 12 megapixel sensor while the other three have been boosted to 14 megapixels. Optical zoom runs from 4x on the cheaper SD1300 IS and SD1400 IS models up to 14x on the SX210 IS and the SD3500 IS features a 3.5in 460,000 dot touchscreen LCD display.
Canon's new line-up seems to cater for all budgets with its new additions to the Powershot family. Taking the cheapest first, the 3.56 x 2.20 x 0.83in SD1300 IS is given a 4x optical zoom on its 28mm wide angle lens and a 1/2.3in CCD 12.1 megapixel sensor. The compact has a good sized 230,000 dot 2.7in LCD display with an anti-reflective, scratch-resistant coating and a special night display for low light viewing and optical image stabilization. Also worthy of note is the useful SDXC memory card support which offering huge storage possibilities.
Next in line is the 3.63 x 2.21 x 0.70 in SD1400 IS which benefits from a sensor boost up to 14.1 megapixels and the ability to record 720p HD video. Apart from a few enhancements like HDMI out, a few more shooting modes and more control over image parameters the SD1400 IS otherwise has pretty much the same feature set as the cheaper model. Both models are available in interesting color variations.
The 3.5in 460,000 dot touchscreen LCD display is the first thing to notice about the SD3500 IS, which features a user customizable menu screen and an interesting tilt image viewing experience for scrolling through photos. The 3.91 x 2.20 x 0.87in compact has a 1/2.3in CCD 14.1 megapixel sensor, 5x optical zoom lens which runs in the useful 24mm to 120mm equiv range, lens shift optical image stabilization, 720p HD video, SDXC memory compatibility and HDMI out.
Last, but by no means least, is the 4.17 x 2.33 x 1.26in SX210 IS with 1/2.3in CCD 14.1 megapixel sensor and 14x optical zoom (28 - 392mm equiv) with optical image stabilization. An upgrade to the SX200 IS, this unit features a pop-up flash that can be hidden away out of sight when not needed, SDXC memory card support, Eye-Fi wireless connectivity and a 230,000 dot 3in LCD display. There's also a dedicated video recording button for the 720p HD video and HDMI out.
The SD1300 IS and the SD1400 IS are available now for US$199.99 and US$249.99 respectively. The SD3500 IS is also available now at US$329.99 but the SX210 IS will not be available until some time in March for US$349.99.Share
- Canon PowerShot SD3500IS 14.1 MP Digital Camera with 3.5-Inch Touch Panel LCD and 5x Ultra Wide Angle Optical Image Stabilized Zoom (Silver)
- Canon PowerShot SD3500IS 14.1 MP Digital Camera with 3.5-Inch Touch Panel LCD and 5x Ultra Wide Angle Optical Image Stabilized Zoom (Black)
- Canon PowerShot SD3500IS 14.1 MP Digital Camera with 3.5-Inch Touch Panel LCD and 5x Ultra Wide Angle Optical Image Stabilized Zoom (Pink)
- Canon PowerShot SD1300 IS 12.1 MP Digital Camera with 4x Wide Angle Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 2.7-Inch LCD (Silver)
- Canon PowerShot SD1300IS 12.1 MP Digital Camera with 4x Wide Angle Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 2.7-Inch LCD (Blue)
- Canon PowerShot SD1300IS 12 MP Digital Camera with 4x Wide Angle Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 2.7-Inch LCD (Pink)
- Around The Home
- Digital Cameras
- Good Thinking
- Health and Wellbeing
- Holiday Destinations
- Home Entertainment
- Inventors and Remarkable People
- Mobile Technology
- Urban Transport
- Wearable Electronics