North American NAVIGON on board navigation system for the iPhone
By Gizmag Team
July 27, 2009
The convergence of the mobile phone and GPS took a quantum leap this week when NAVIGON released a North American version of its on-board navigation software for the iPhone. MobileNavigator transforms any iPhone 3G (or S) with OS 3.0 into a complete navigation device. The on-board approach means the software and map data is on the iPhone, so there are no subscription fees to pay or map downloads to wait for during navigation. It includes most regular NAVIGON functionality such as Reality View Pro, Lane Assistant Pro, Speed Assistant and Day & Night Mode, branded POIs along the route with more features to be added with software updates later this year.
Following its successful launch in Europe last month, NAVIGON is the first major navigation company to launch an on-board navigation solution for the iPhone in North America. In more than ten European countries (Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Greece, Italy, Netherlands, Poland, Sweden, Switzerland), the app was ranked within the top three of all paid applications in the Apple Store in the first week.
The combination of NAVIGON’s signature navigation features with typical functions from the iPhone creates an integrated and unique experience.” The map display, for example, switches automatically from portrait to landscape view as soon as the iPhone is turned 90 degrees. There is also the option of navigating directly to an address from saved contacts. If the iPhone is used for talking on the phone during navigation, the software resumes automatically after the call has ended. Furthermore, the multi touch function of the iPhone is integrated into the app and allows users to easily zoom in and out the map view with two fingers.
The NAVIGON solution is equipped with maps of North America from NAVTEQ and will be available for a promotional price of USD$70 until August 15 when it will revert to its intended price of USD$100.Key features of the NAVIGON MobileNavigator for the iPhone:
- Reality View™ Pro displays photo-realistic 3D views with actual road signs and lane guidance for virtually every highway interchange and exit drivers will encounter
- Lane Assistant Pro helps drivers prepare to make an upcoming exit or turn by providing a lane map complete with arrows and actual road geometry
- Speed Assistant with adjustable audio-visual warning
- Day & Night Mode for map display.
- Direct Access allows navigation to contacts saved in the iPhone's address book
- Branded POIs and POIs along the route
- 2D and 3D map view
- Automatic switch between portrait and landscape format
- Intelligent address entry
- Real signpost display
- Around The Home
- Digital Cameras
- Good Thinking
- Health and Wellbeing
- Holiday Destinations
- Home Entertainment
- Inventors and Remarkable People
- Mobile Technology
- Urban Transport
- Wearable Electronics