Decision time? Check out our latest product comparisons

My Camp Kitchen packs a full wilderness kitchen in a box

May 23, 2012

My Camp Kitchen offers both storage and food prep space

My Camp Kitchen offers both storage and food prep space

If you've ever camped, you know how difficult it can be to stay organized. There's so much gear that you need just to eat, sleep and relax, and if you lose just one piece, it could ruin your whole trip. My Camp Kitchen is a kitchen storage solution that keeps all your cooking and eating gear in one neat package.

This past week, I took a mountain biking trip to Moab, Utah. The wind was harsh for one particular day and night, so I chose to sleep in the back of my Dodge Durango rather than chew on sandstorm all night. That was the best night of sleep I had all trip, and the Durango was so functional as a makeshift camper, I've decided to outfit it a little further for the purpose.

One of the challenges of converting a regular SUV to a camper is that you don't really have space or headroom for things like kitchens and bathrooms the way you would in a full RV or trailer. The My Camp Kitchen makes for a good solution for outfitting a small camper with cooking equipment. It's a purpose-built hardwood box with a variety of shelves and cubbies designed to hold all your cooking gear in one small, easy-access place. When you arrive at camp, you can pull the box out, unfold its legs, pull out the counter and use it to prepare all your meals. Your cooking gear is always right where you need it.

The Summit Traveler stores neatly in your car or truck and lets you carry all your kitchen...

The My Camp Kitchen (or something like it) would work great for my Durango camper in that it would give me a single dedicated space for all my cooking equipment, instead of the series of boxes, bags and coolers that I use now. It also pulls out in one motion, so that I could quickly repurpose the interior space for sleep mode.

My Camp Kitchen comes in two primary models – the Summit Traveler and the Outdoorsman. The Outdoorsman starts at US$350 for an unassembled kit and runs through $575 for the fully assembled and finished product. Both prices are for the hardwood components only; the actual cooking gear costs extra. You can get gear through the My Camp Kitchen website – the $399 package gives you a single burner propane stove and a series of cooking and eating tools and dishes – or you can outfit it with your own gear.

The ~$500 price tag seemed a little expensive when I first read it – it is just a wood box after all – but it is competitive with similar camp kitchen storage solutions. The assembly-required version is nice for saving money, and if that's still too spendy, you could always use the MCK as the inspiration for a home build.

My Camp Kitchen founder Richard Snogren, an aerospace engineer by trade, has been field testing and fine tuning his designs for decades. Several other designs, including a grill system, are scheduled to join the Outdoorsman and Summit systems in the product line.

Watch the My Camp Kitchen go through the wringer in the following video from the recent Overland Expo.

Source: My Camp Kitchen

C.C. Weiss Upon graduating college with a poli sci degree, Chris toiled in the political world for several years. Realizing he was better off making cynical comments from afar than actually getting involved in all that mess, he turned away from matters of government and news to cover the things that really matter: outdoor recreation, cool cars, technology, wild gadgets and all forms of other toys. He's happily following the wisdom of his father who told him that if you find something you love to do, it won't really be work.   All articles by C.C. Weiss

The boy scouts have been making and using these things for decades, this is just a rip off of someone else's idea.

William Jolley
23rd May, 2012 @ 03:35 pm PDT

The one my scout group used only cost about 12$ worth of plywood too.

Peter Kowalchuk-Reid
23rd May, 2012 @ 04:24 pm PDT

Agree that you could easily build one (and much cheaper), but that doesn't make this a copy. From the website, it sounds like this was just the owner's personal design that he used for years and eventually manufactured for sale. A lotta people have more money than time/woodworking skills.

Joe F
23rd May, 2012 @ 06:42 pm PDT

Yes - 1960 Boyscouts used these regularly. Everything old is new again.

Mark A
23rd May, 2012 @ 08:14 pm PDT

I do like the inovation of the fold out wings to make a bigger surface. We didn't have that on our patrol boxes. Nifty.

It looks like baltic birch. Superior materials.

Oops, the fold out wings are in addition to the base price. Ouch!

They are fun to design and build if you have the woodworking abilities. I would have to have a yuppie salary before I would buy one.

toller
24th May, 2012 @ 12:29 pm PDT

The idea goes back to at least the late 1800's when cattle drives had a chuck wagon with a box in the back like this. The idea probably goes back much further in history since military campaigns required lugging all their gear around. It doesn't really matter how old the idea is, it's a good idea. Joe F is right on the money that not everyone is able to make their own version. I could make all my own furniture, but I buy almost all of it. It's just more convenient to buy something ready made. I need something like this to put in my van for camping trips, I'll probably make my own tho, because my needs are a bit different.

kuryus
24th May, 2012 @ 12:29 pm PDT

I'd like to see an IKEA version of this

Paul Anthony
25th May, 2012 @ 08:09 am PDT

It's so nice, when you are having a camping you can easily carry your kitchen box because it is a hand carry box.

jeanbanaay
29th May, 2012 @ 11:23 pm PDT

This product is something the boyscouts used and use. My father made a great one for the troop he was involved with. You should give your profits of these to the boyscouts. It is not a new innovation.

Katy Walradt
30th May, 2012 @ 12:43 am PDT

While it is not new does not mean it is not innovative.

http://www.smartcarofamerica.com has a section on recreation. It has been mentioned that it can fit into the back of a Smart car.

I think it is great since I could use something like that but don't have the room in my apartment to build one but enough room to store it.

BigGoofyGuy
2nd June, 2012 @ 04:37 am PDT

My Grandfather made a pair of these when my mother was little. Both are bigger than this and require 2 people to carry. One is for kitchen gear, with spots the right size for propain tanks, the stove and other things. That one has two swinging doors, The other is our pantry, with spots for cans boxes and all of our other food. That one has the same fold down counter that the featured one does. And then the food box sits on the storage box instead of needing legs. He passed them down to us when they stopped camping and we love them!

Lindsey Davidson
4th June, 2012 @ 06:42 am PDT

I too was a Boy Scout for many years, and am familiar with this style of kitchen box, or chuck wagon box. For one that properly fit my cooking gear, I would be willing to pay $50-$100, but no more than that. I have the skills to build my own (including sanding and staining, and diamond coat hard finish) within a few days, and the cubby-holes would fit and hold my existing cooking gear.

Including all materials (finish plywood, hinges, latches, drawer guides, handles, stain sealer, plus materials used such as sand paper, brushes, tack cloths, ect., I can't imagine my cost to exceed @100. even if I was showing off my skills.

Even if I doubled it to make a profit, that would still be less than half the cost of this one.

kellory