Custom handmade leather jackets from classic car upholstery
November 30, 2010
Launching a new clothing collection, Platinum Dirt might have just recreated the meaning of the word "vintage." Dustin Page, designer, producer and tailor, has created a range of jackets made of recycled leather from classic cars. Each jacket is one-of-a-kind, made from the leather interiors of old Cadillacs, Lincolns, BMWs, Mercedes and Jaguars (just to name a few). As an added cute touch, the VIN plate from the original vehicle is embedded on the chest of each jacket.
"I'm not into copycat designs," says Aaron Parrish, Page's business partner. "If everyone is going right, I want to go left. Trends aren't set by those who follow them."
Each jacket features a unique zipper pull, VIN breast plate and patterned interior lining. Since they are only using second hand leather taken directly from vintage cars, these jackets not only make a fashion statement but can also be considered environmentally friendly. In addition to the collection of VIN leather jackets for men and women, Platinum Dirt have designed handbags and clutches from leftover leather scraps and other recycled vintage car parts.
Platinum Dirt jackets are currently available for purchase online from US$1,200. If you're lucky, you may be able to find one made from the seat leather of your very first car!
- Around The Home
- Digital Cameras
- Good Thinking
- Health and Wellbeing
- Holiday Destinations
- Home Entertainment
- Inventors and Remarkable People
- Mobile Technology
- Urban Transport
- Wearable Electronics
- 2014 Action Camera Comparison Guide
- 2014 Smartwatch Comparison Guide
- 2014 Windows 2-in-1 Comparison Guide
- 2014 Smartphone Comparison Guide
- 2014 Full Frame DSLR Comparison Guide
- 2014 Tablet Comparison Guide
- 2014 Superzoom Camera Comparison Guide
- 2014 iPad Comparison Guide
- 2014 Entry-Level to Enthusiast DSLR Comparison Guide
- 2014 Small Compact Camera Comparison Guide