Decision time? Check out our latest product comparisons

InterLock combines a seatpost and bike lock in one device

January 17, 2013

The InterLock bicycle lock/seatpost

The InterLock bicycle lock/seatpost

People really don’t want to carry their bike locks around with them, do they? Over the past few years, we’ve seen locks that fit in a water bottle cage, get strapped to the top tube, or that are even worn as a belt. The InterLock’s approach is particularly interesting, however ... it’s integrated into its own seatpost.

Created by Vancouver cyclist/entrepreneur Adrian Solgaard Janzen, the InterLock consists of a key-opened 8-mm braided steel cable lock, that is stuffed inside a 27.2-mm diameter seatpost when not in use – 27.2 is the standard diameter for road bikes, but not necessarily for mountain bikes.

The two ends of the lock stick out of the post just beneath the saddle, allowing the user to grab them and pull out most of the cable when it’s time to lock up. A bit is retained inside, however, keeping the cable and post attached. The cable can then be run through the frame and around an adjacent immovable object such as a bicycle rack. In that way, even if the seatpost is removed, the bike still can’t be stolen. Solgaard Janzen also suggests that his lock could be used in conjunction with a harder-to-hack U-lock, for added security.

The InterLock could be used in conjunction with a harder-to-hack U-lock, for added securit...

Adrian is currently raising production funds for the InterLock, on Kickstarter. A pledge of US$39 will get you one, when and if they become commercially available – at that point, the retail price is expected to be $50.

A demonstration of the lock can be seen in the pitch video below.

Source: InterLock via The Awesomer

Ben Coxworth An experienced freelance writer, videographer and television producer, Ben's interest in all forms of innovation is particularly fanatical when it comes to human-powered transportation, film-making gear, environmentally-friendly technologies and anything that's designed to go underwater. He lives in Edmonton, Alberta, where he spends a lot of time going over the handlebars of his mountain bike, hanging out in off-leash parks, and wishing the Pacific Ocean wasn't so far away.   All articles by Ben Coxworth

If it has to be used in conjunction with a U-lock, it pretty much loses all of its claimed advantage. An 8mm cable is virtually worthless. It can be cut in seconds. I wouldn't use anything less than 12mm for an auxiliary lock. And this seatpost can't be cut to length, as shorter riders often have to.

Gadgeteer
17th January, 2013 @ 08:16 pm PST

Would a thief be able to undo the nut that holds the seat post? Does anyone make a steering lock?

David Colton Clarke
18th January, 2013 @ 09:49 am PST

To Gadgteer:

Right. I've been reading Gizmag long enough to know that your trademark is to trash every idea that comes along, but what's this "cutting down the seatpost" stuff? I've 40-some years of cycling, building, racing, touring on two continents and all the rest... Never heard of this. Never seen it. Bizarre. Where do you get this stuff? Do you make it up?

Otherwise, yes, I do,agree that the diameter is on the small side. I'd consider this a lock for getting an ice cream... Like he says in the video, by the way, but not for leaving your bike outside unattended. It may be a reasonable substitute for the Abus on-frame rear stay lock though which are rather heavy and pricey. A comparison may be interesting.

To DCD : sterring locks do exist. I have a Swiss-made one that works very well enough to disable the steering, but has some drawbacks including price, weight, aesthetics, and it doesn't really stop anyone walking away with your bike unless you buy the additional cable option. The cable, if you're still reading, is also not up to Gadgeteer's, or my own, standards.

duh3000
21st January, 2013 @ 11:52 am PST

Not really new or inventive if you consider www.i-lock.net, out since 2005 or so.

PAO
22nd January, 2013 @ 05:48 am PST

Only 8mm? That's almost too easy to steal!

What do you think, how many locks (and which one) should you put on your 2500€ bike in order to leave it outside for the whole day while working?

Visiobike
24th January, 2013 @ 12:54 am PST

This is awesome...Beautifully designed.

PAO how is this anything like the i-lock (now that is a ridiculous invention). I Have been riding my whole life in the city and have had 2 bikes stolen. The interlock simply stops the opportunist thief. I had a Trek mountain bike chained to a patio, I came out in the morning and the thieves unbolted the patio to get the bike. My point being, there is not a lock that can not be broken. See Youtube for examples.

I would buy this just to lock my seat (see the video on interlocks site). Normally I have to take my seat out and take it with me.

Sam Rowe
19th February, 2013 @ 05:02 am PST

@duh3000,

Just because you've never heard of cutting down a seatpost, it's never been done? I suggest you Google "cutting seatpost" or ask a bike shop mechanic. You'd be surprised at what you might learn outside of your little 40 year bubble.

Gadgeteer