Introducing the Gizmag Store

Ultra-Ever Dry hydrophobic coating repels almost any liquid

February 24, 2013

Ever Dry creates a barrier of air between moisture and materials

Ever Dry creates a barrier of air between moisture and materials

Ready to be amazed? According to Ultra-tech, a Florida-based containment provider for chemical clean-up and waste management, its new Ultra-Ever Dry coating is an amazing product. The coating is "super-hydrophobic" and "oleophobic," meaning it repels almost any liquid on a wide range of materials, including – but not limited to – hammers to boots and gloves as you'll see in the following video demonstration.

The two part Ultra-Ever Dry system creates a near invisible barrier of air over surfaces on the nanoscale. These surfaces can range from refined oil, wet concrete, water, mud and other liquids. In industrial application Ultra-Dry could prove ideal for specific applications, like when you drop your hammer in mud, and then step in the mud in your boots, and reach into the mud with your work-gloves.

Water proofing products and barriers are not new but according to the manufacturer, Ultra-Ever Dry has improved adhesion and abrasion resistance compared to previous iterations. The supposed adhesion and abrasive resistance traits then allow for a more diverse range of uses. Other claims include anti-icing, anti-corrosive, anti-contamination and self-cleaning capabilities.

But according to the abrasion resistance notes Ultra-Ever Dry provides "more abrasion resistance than previous superhydrophobic materials." Registering a 110 on the Taber Abrasion Method (ASTM D4060-10) the manufacturer recommends testing of surfaces if abrasion is a concern.

The product can be applied with a spray gun and finishes up to a translucent white sheen. A single coating is reported to last anywhere from 2-8 months in direct sunlight and outdoor conditions before a top-coat re-coating is needed. Indoor and protected outdoor applications put longevity at approximately one year or more. From the underside of a Polar Bear to the backside of a New York taxi driver in August, Ultra-tech professes a working hot/cold range of -30°F to 300°F (-34°C to 149°C).

Can I use it on my SquareBob lunchbox? Maybe. In addition to the "do not breathe this" warning a rather toxic grocery list of chemicals makes up the ingredients, thus making the coating a less than ideal Peanut Butter & Jam option. However, according to Ultra-tech there are no known environmental concerns. The coating is stated to be safe for use in "nonfood" (i.e. not your lunchbox) contact areas of food processing plants and meets FDA and USDA regulations for those types of applications.

The Ultra-Ever Dry coating prices out at $53/quart (0.95 liters) for the bottom coating and $96/quart for the top.

Source: Ever Dry

Angus MacKenzie Born on the cold, barren Canadian plains of Calgary, Alberta, Angus MacKenzie couldn’t decide between marketing, automotives or an entrepreneurial path - so he chose all three. When not writing, Angus has for the past six years been Editor-in-Chief for elemente, an internationally recognized architecture/design magazine.   All articles by Angus MacKenzie

What would the result of coating the bottom of a boat with it be.

Slowburn
24th February, 2013 @ 11:49 pm PST

My thoughts exactly, Slowburn. I would say, reduced drag.

offthegrid
25th February, 2013 @ 06:59 am PST

I'd paint my car with this.

James Thistlethwaite
25th February, 2013 @ 07:19 am PST

Given the short life it may be awfully expensive to paint a normal vehicle. However, someone running Baja or Dakkar or rallying through the muddy woods might be able to keep their sponsors' names well-seen (although milky) from start to finish. Even their wheels and suspension bits could end up the race looking almost like new.

Bruce H. Anderson
25th February, 2013 @ 08:30 am PST

This is what Rain-X was supposed to do. That's pretty amazing. Depending on weight, it might work well on aircraft hulls as well.

Clay Jones
25th February, 2013 @ 08:57 am PST

Right out of Dune.

Druid
25th February, 2013 @ 08:57 am PST

@Slowburn I read another article on a hydrophobic coating reducing naval drag by 15-20% but I can not find the article to quote the source. Gizmag had one about a microbubble system to reduce drag and seeing the other videos of imersions of coated products it should work similarly. They form a buble like the swimming spiders do.

I think they should really do some icing tests. If this could prevent heat pumps from icing without adding a thermal barrier it could make a significant improvement to their efficiency in winter.

VirtualGathis
25th February, 2013 @ 09:10 am PST

This is really cool, but if it only lasts 2-8 months in regular weather conditions, then it would wear off really quick on a boat or airplane where the water/air abrasion would be so much higher... might only last a couple weeks. Considering how expensive it is i dont think it would be worthwhile except in special circumstances where the benefit was so great as to be worth it even for the short circumstance.

That being said i think this stuff looks really good for a whole slew of applications that dont involve heavy abrasion levels, this is the first time iv really seen a video showing a lot of hydrophibic coatings so im sure there are other products out there that are similar but regardless this is really cool/practical.

Arahant
25th February, 2013 @ 09:57 am PST

@Bruce H. Anderson

Now that is an area that could really use an anti-icing coating. If this prevents icing I'm sure the cold weather flyers like Alaskan and Syberien airlines would justify the weight. If Ever Dry were effective enough they could even replace the anti icing heaters which would make room for additional weight. I'm not a pilot but I imagine the FAA and similar organizations would want exhaustive testing and in flight use before it was officially used as an anti icing agent though.

VirtualGathis
25th February, 2013 @ 10:08 am PST

Can I coat my kids with this stuff?

sk8dad
25th February, 2013 @ 12:33 pm PST

I am with you slowburn. I have been watching developments in hydrophobic materials with interest as I could see applications for faster planing, anti-fouling and planet/fuel saving marine hulls. What does concern me is even though this material has a reasonably good anti-abrasive quality. It will wear off and fall into the ecosystem. As to what it might do in the Ocean I don't know (maybe try to jump out again?) With the fallout from the wide adoption of Teflon being a very large number of us now contain it. I do not wish to be both anti-stick and hydrophobic (shades of Cudo). Science needs to come to the rescue of water not contribute to its abuse.

captain caveman
25th February, 2013 @ 02:50 pm PST

If I owned a building in a section of town that repeatedly got tagged by local graffiti artists... I'd paint the bottom 20' of my building with this! Then, I'd paint the rest of the building to match. It'd drive graffiti artists crazy!

Roderic Langer
25th February, 2013 @ 03:17 pm PST

My company is an authorized distributor of Ultra Ever Dry. Got questions? contact our Technical Product Manager, Gary (gary@maxxsale.com). He knows a lot about testing and applications. YES it does reduce drag. No, it is not good on cars as it makes your finish look hazy (but works great keeping dirt bikes clean). Anti-ice. It is indeed anti-ice, and works on engines, HVAC, electronics, etc. Conditions in the air are very different than on the ground, so yes, using it on an airplane would require quite a bit more testing. The working temperature range for the product is from -30°F to 300°F (-34°C to 149°C) once it has been applied. Waxed car = 99 degrees (hydrophobicity) RainX = 110 degrees (hydrophobicity) Ultra Ever Dry = 165 to 175 degrees (superhydrophobicity).

Facebook User
25th February, 2013 @ 03:26 pm PST

Lemme put that on my phone :)

Denzel Miles
25th February, 2013 @ 06:31 pm PST

My first thought for an application of this was to deter taggers, oops, my bad there, I meant to say "non-financially compensated free lance graffiti artist" so as to not hurt anyone's feelings by insinuating that they might be a criminal for defacing someone's property. Yes, it would certainly be funny to see the look on some punk's face as his latest work of "art" kept running down the wall to puddle at his feet!! Almost as funny as a wall that sprayed paint back like in one of those Naked Gun movies. I'd buy a ticket to see that happen!

- Randy

Expanded Viewpoint
25th February, 2013 @ 09:22 pm PST

JC
25th February, 2013 @ 09:28 pm PST

I've watched that TV show, "Deadliest Catch" about the crab fishing up in the Bering Sea, and from time to time those crews have to take sledgehammers to the ice that builds up on their decks and railings so that the boat doesn't capsize from the weight. I wonder what it would cost to coat the entire upper hull and deck of a 180' crab boat, and whether it could last for an entire fishing season.

John C. Randolph
25th February, 2013 @ 09:52 pm PST

Perfect for olympic swimmers. I'm sure some swimmers are willing to accept the toxic effect in exchange for a gold medal.

MrGadget
26th February, 2013 @ 01:04 am PST

"Anything toxic should never be used, as it will always eventually get to our food. We have already polluted our water and food to such an extent that we are now suffering from it. It is time to wake up and stop this practice."

I don't relly agree with JC, since there are laws to stop toxic material,

eg the Reach legislation in the EU.

steve02
28th February, 2013 @ 12:14 am PST

would it make a siphon more efficient ?

p38vtol@gmail