September 17, 2008 Sound quality is always the key consideration when it comes to speaker systems, but if you are looking to combine this with some serious visual impact, Harman Kardon's GLA-55 two-piece speaker set for computers, laptops and portable media players could well be an option.
Due for a worldwide release in coming months, the strikingly designed speakers feature a chrome base and faceted cut-glass enclosures which expose the audio engine.
The speakers use Atlas woofers and CMMD tweeters, with an outlet provided for additional standalone subwoofers. The Atlas AL drivers are capable of almost 1-inch peak-to-peak travel for accurate bass reproduction, while the CMMD drivers are capable of low-frequency extension to four octaves. The 100-watt bi-amplified digital amplifier is coupled with digital signal processing equalization to provide the transducers with efficient power and proprietary compression technology provides accurate audio at high output levels. The "slipstream port" design also mimimizes boundary layer separation, reducing distortion.
The volume controls of the GLA-55 are touch-sensitive, and users are able to mute the speakers by touching both controls simultaneously. The speakers are computer-optimized but are compatible with virtually any audio device with an analog output.
- Color: Clear with chrome accents
- Input Requirement: Main connection – 1/8" (3.5mm) mini stereo jack
- Drivers: 1 x CMMD, 1 x Atlas AL driver per satellite
- Power: 56 Watts per satellite
- Frequency Response: 60Hz – 20kHz
- Dimensions (W x H): 5.5" x 10.5" (140mm x 270mm)
- Weight: Approx 2.5 lb (1.2kg)
- Input Impedance: >10k ohms
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio: >70dB
- Voltage input: 120V AC (US), 100V AC (Japanese), 230V AC (Europe)
Just enter your friends and your email address into the form below
For multiple addresses, separate each with a comma