Shopping? Check out our latest product comparisons

gScreen SpaceBook dual-screen laptop is up for pre-order

July 18, 2011

The gScreen SpaceBook is ready for pre-order (Photo: gScreen)

The gScreen SpaceBook is ready for pre-order (Photo: gScreen)

It's been nearly two years since the first photos of the dual-screen gScreen SpaceBook laptop were unveiled. It looks like the waiting for its release is nearing an end, however, with the 17-inch SpaceBook now available for pre-order on gScreen's website. The SpaceBook is a large laptop equipped with a pair of slide out 17-inch full HD displays, offering a huge panoramic workspace.

Unlike the Lenovo W700ds workstation, the SpaceBook's second display is not just a smaller-sized extension of the main screen. Its displays are equal in size and work simultaneously, just like the pair of 10.1-inch screens in Kohjinsha's DZ laptop.

The gScreen SpaceBook 17-inch laptop comes in two versions in terms of hardware. One version features a dual-core Intel Core i5-560M 2.66GHz CPU and 4GB of DDR3 memory clocked at 1333MHZ, whereas the second one is powered via a quad-core Intel Core i7-740QM 1.73GHz CPU along with 8GB of DDR3 memory clocked at 1333MHz. The rest of specs are the same for both versions, and include two LED-backlit screens working at 1920 x 1080 pixel resolution, NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250M 1GB discrete GPU and 500GB HDD, as well as a magnesium alloy lid-frame. There's no Blu-ray or SSD option at the moment. Of course, such a huge screen makes the device significantly less portable, with the weight as high as 10 pounds (4.5 kg).

The Core i5 version is priced at US$2,395 while the Core i7 version costs US$2,795. Both are available to U.S. and Canada-based customers only. The gScreen website says that pre-orders require a 50 percent deposit for the order to be secured, with the rest payable once the SpaceBook is shipped.

arnt they suppose to be making laptops lighter. this is 4.5kg lol. And look how ugly and thick it is.

not my kinda laptop

Waiel Jibrail
18th July, 2011 @ 10:08 pm PDT

haters gonna hate, this is an epic idea, hope it gets adopted!

Vikram Vishwanath
19th July, 2011 @ 07:22 am PDT

Even if we were in 1999 I would say "who'd validated this project?".

You can't see movies with a black line in the middle so for which app is this made for?

Excel?

Wow!

Definitely wow!

salvatore.forte
19th July, 2011 @ 07:26 am PDT

What a concept (don't worry Waiel, if there's interest, future version will come in lighter).

This is another reason to have dual e-ink color displays (e-ink being readable in broad light environments, and very power stingy). That might help make it lighter too...

Yarko
19th July, 2011 @ 08:05 am PDT

Did they remember to embed two separate audio ports with support for different sources?

I imagine two people occasionally would like to use a screen each ( like simultaneously watching two different videos, etc ), without having to listen to the other's audio.

Krister Knutars
19th July, 2011 @ 09:15 am PDT

A great idea for a portable workstation, but sadly lacking in horsepower. Should have given it a six-core Xeon and 16 GB RAM minimum . . .

Facebook User
19th July, 2011 @ 11:24 am PDT

Excellent !!

I looked a the Lenovo about 1.5 years ago but it was to pricey.

$2700 seems to be much more in line.

Hopefully it has a built in serial port as well.

Also I wonder if it has a Video Out so that I could run 3 displays while in the office...

Captain Danger
19th July, 2011 @ 03:56 pm PDT

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has been able to purchase a gScreen SpaceBook?

I ordered one (paid extra for rush delivery) almost a year ago and never received the product. I did get several responses with excuses and the last one from the CEO (Gordon Stewart) stating it would be a "few more weeks" and I'd get a full refund. That was months ago and now he ignores my emails.

I really was impressed with the idea about being able to work off of two screens on a laptop but now I'm thinking I've been scammed. Does anyone here know anything else or how I should procede in getting my money back or the actual product?

If anyone bought and using this product, please let me know. I haven't been able to find any recent reviews about it and paid $3,000.

Thanks!