Decision time? Check out our latest product comparisons

Google shows what it's like to use Google Glass

February 20, 2013

Google gives us a glimpse of what it looks like to use Google Glass

Google gives us a glimpse of what it looks like to use Google Glass

With smartphones and tablets firmly embedded in mainstream culture, where will the fast-moving world of technology focus its attention next? According to two of its biggest players – Apple and Google – the future is in wearable computing. Apple is reportedly developing a smartwatch, while Google has been upfront about its smart-glasses, Google Glass. But what’s it like to actually wear a pair of smart-glasses?

That was previously a mystery to anyone who hadn’t signed a blood-oath to Mountain View. But today, in a video released on Google’s Glass site, we get a new first-person glimpse of the product – that video can be seen at the bottom of this page.

Sneak peek

Navigation could be handy on Google Glass

Can Google Glass be the next big thing? Judging by this video, it may have a shot. The glasses are voice-controlled, with the phrase “Okay, Glass” activating services like video chat, navigation, photography, social feeds, or search-powered Q&A.

The interface looks polished and natural enough to forecast a future where wearable computers replace smartphones as our primary on-the-go devices.

Google’s biggest challenge in delivering Glass to the consumer market will be how you look while wearing them. The company has made Glass' design as elegant as a computer on your face can possibly be. But – as much as geeks will be salivating over them – “regular” customers may still hesitate to look like a distant cousin of Geordi La Forge on Star Trek: The Next Generation.

Waiting game

You can check out Google’s full video below. Select developers already have prerelease units, while everyone else can enter at the source link for a chance to become a Google Glass "Explorer" (for US$1,500). Glass won't likely hit the market until 2014.

Source: Google Glass via 9to5Google

Will Shanklin Will Shanklin is Gizmag's Mobile Tech Editor, and has been part of the team since 2012. Will has a Master's degree from U.C. Irvine and a Bachelor's from West Virginia University. He currently lives in New Mexico with his wife, Jessica.
  All articles by Will Shanklin

Do I want Google Glass? ABSOLUTELY!

Fahrenheit 451
20th February, 2013 @ 12:45 pm PST

Does the action packed lifestyle come with the glasses?

GeoMoon5
20th February, 2013 @ 02:31 pm PST

Most people who would buy this already wear glasses, I wonder how you fit them both on your head

Ozuzi
20th February, 2013 @ 03:52 pm PST

Wearable Electronics was a concept first proposed in the Australian produced National Geographic Channel's series 'Future Matters' in 2004 where it was suggested that

a) Mobile phone were dead and will be replaced by mobile computing and

b) Mobile computing and communications technology will become wearable, with most of it embedded in clothing we wear everyday

Whilst we're not at that level yet, it looks like we are well on the way

Strategic Futurist
20th February, 2013 @ 05:15 pm PST

Instead of something that looks like glasses without lenses, complete with nose pads, why not something like "street style" behind-the-ear headphones, with an extended, adjustable arm on one side to hold the display? That way, users would be able to wear prescription glasses or sunglasses of their choice.

Gadgeteer
20th February, 2013 @ 10:56 pm PST

@Gadgeteer

lasik and contacts. Not many people actually wear glasses to see any more.

Besides, if you can buy prescription Oakley's you could probably do the same with these. The benefit would be that if you have insurance they will cover some of the costs of picking up a pair.

I don't do this but the people I know who can afford Oakley's can do so for that reason.

Daishi
21st February, 2013 @ 02:04 am PST

The first issue will probably be cost;

The second will be looks;

The third battery life;

The fourth will be the way you interact with the interface, it may not always be socially appropriate to be giving commands to something other people can't see, they might think you need psychiatric help. A small wireless hand controller may help in the short term and an interface controlled by your eye movement could come later on.

Oztechi
21st February, 2013 @ 04:02 am PST

i am all for toys but this thing will mess with social interactions big time. But i can see it being cool when I am paragliding and i want to get info or take a video.... but I should probbably pat attention to what i am doing and enjoy my life when i am living it.

Robert Kelly
21st February, 2013 @ 05:14 am PST

Oztechi

Sounds like you're talking about her system in the Final Fantasy movie, we just need the holographic controls

Ozuzi
21st February, 2013 @ 02:01 pm PST

Diachi,

Quite a few people still wear glasses. Many can't tolerate contacts. Lots of people don't want to risk the often irreversible complications of laser surgery. Neither correction can compensate for presbyopia, which afflicts the vast majority of people over 45 or so.

Gadgeteer
21st February, 2013 @ 03:49 pm PST

I'm a small businessman and this is just what I need to organise, run a business and keep track of all the data.

I was planning on going a Go pro unit to a laptop but this likely has a full computer on your belt though could run on the cloud in less space, weight as likely, Google's cloud ;^P

jerryd
21st February, 2013 @ 06:27 pm PST

Contact lenses hurt my eyes and cost too much. Looks like I will not be wasting my time and money on this junk

nutcase
21st February, 2013 @ 06:45 pm PST

If its made by Google I'd buy it, problem is...next year a new model comes out or some update I need to pay for, I just feel these new fangled electronics hold back so they could milk the public for all its worth

Wole King
21st February, 2013 @ 08:17 pm PST

For people who wear glasses, they'll build the lens into the frame. The concern about battery life will only be a problem for a short while. These smartglasses are obviously just a stepping stone into neural prosthesis, at which time power will be produced by the body's metabolism. This is why the majority of the worlds population is obese. It's evolution preparing humans to be able to support the demands of wearable electronics. Both in supplying the extra energy requirements and supporting the extra weight with larger body frames.

Tyilco
22nd February, 2013 @ 03:12 pm PST

Apparently you need a good right eye. They should make a left-eyed model, too.

Victor Engel
16th April, 2013 @ 09:32 am PDT

YES!!!! If they can put this on prescription glasses, as others have said, this will be AhMAZing . I agree, they will need to make sure that the design is versatile enough to wear on either eye. I don't know that I would want to pay $1500, but I would gladly stand in line for 3 hours to pay $500 USD for it. I cannot wait to own a pair.

What kind of retail store do you think these will be sold at? Since I have prescription glasses, would I be able to take them into my regular eye doctor and have them apply my prescription? Or would I have to do something like sending in a pair of prescription glasses to Google?

2014 can't get here fast enough.

Dara Hunter