Personal Biometric Device offers access to multiple facilities
By Mike Hanlon
June 29, 2006
June 30, 2006 Now this is an interesting key-fob-sized device designed to eliminate the need for employees to use multiple access cards and passwords. The plusID authenticates a user's identity with their fingerprint and enables secure access to buildings and other physical facilities, local and remote computers and networks, and online or onsite financial transactions. The plusID works with existing, installed security infrastructure, making deployment quick and affordable with just one secure wireless device.
The plusID75 is the first product in Privaris' new plusID line of self-contained biometric security products. In the coming months, Privaris will announce new plusID variations to address long-range vehicle gate access, government security initiatives (such as Personal Identity Verification or PIV), and authentication for financial and retail applications. plusID75 will begin shipping in August 2006, with full production in October 2006.
The device, which is Bluetooth, proximity RF, and USB enabled, includes a fingerprint sensor, buttons for application selection, LED status indicators, an LCD for one-time password display, a USB connector, on-board fingerprint processing, cryptographic services, a rechargeable battery, and credential transmission capability at multiple RF frequencies.
The plusID incorporates the following features:
-- it protects its user's personal privacy by retaining all fingerprint information in a secure processor in the device, not in a "centralized" biometric database.
-- it eliminates the enterprise's liability and maintenance costs associated with implementing and securing a biometric database.
-- it can be used in place of traditional access cards with existing reader infrastructure, making the addition of biometrics fast and cost-effective.
-- it is the first implementation of the Broadcom BCM5890 secure processor, the world's most advanced secure processor with contactless technology, specifically designed to secure personal authentication and eliminate security vulnerabilities.
-- As a mobile, self-contained authentication device, plusID increases user convenience and privacy while eliminating the need for disparate, expensive, biometric security systems.
plusID's compatibility with existing security technology from HID, Indala, Kantech, and SARGENT means that plusID is a cost-effective biometric addition that requires no changes to existing security infrastructures.
Each plusID biometric fob:
- is compatible with 125 kHz proximity technology, 13.56 MHz contactless smart card technology (ISO 14443A, 14443B, 15693 and NFC), Bluetooth, and USB
- is compatible with existing security technology from HID, Indala, Kantech and SARGENT
- supports one-time-password (OTP) implementations
- supports three-factor authentication for securing IT assets
- stores up to 512K of user credentials (including other biometric templates to facilitate multiple biometric authentication methods)
- is designed to meet the FIPS 140-2 Level 3 security rating for tamper-resistance to ensure the security of on-board biometrics and other user credentials.
Third party applications for the device can be easily developed using the Privaris application programming interface (API).Share
- Around The Home
- Digital Cameras
- Good Thinking
- Health and Wellbeing
- Holiday Destinations
- Home Entertainment
- Inventors and Remarkable People
- Mobile Technology
- Urban Transport
- Wearable Electronics
- 2014 Action Camera Comparison Guide
- 2014 Smartwatch Comparison Guide
- 2014 Windows 2-in-1 Comparison Guide
- 2014 Smartphone Comparison Guide
- 2014 Full Frame DSLR Comparison Guide
- 2014 Tablet Comparison Guide
- 2014 Superzoom Camera Comparison Guide
- 2014 iPad Comparison Guide
- 2014 Entry-Level to Enthusiast DSLR Comparison Guide
- 2014 Small Compact Camera Comparison Guide