World’s slimmest, lightest and most compact digital movie camera?
By Mike Hanlon
July 3, 2005
July 4, 2005 The slimmest, lightest and most compact digital movie camera in the world - that’s what Sanyo is claiming for its new ultra-compact VPC-C5 and it may well be true. Regardless it is very small and doubles as pocket-sized 5-megapixel digital camera and full-motion MPEG-4 video camera at the same time as offering built-in digital image stabilization which makes it state-of-the-art in that area and it can take digital still images while simultaneously shooting video. Though the RRP is US$699, street prices are already down to less than US$550. Users can also select real-time interpolation up to 10 megapixels which allows photos to be enlarged to "bigger than life" proportions without sacrificing image fidelity,
The C5 employs SANYO's proprietary digital optimization technology to remove color moirés and reduce aliasing and noise caused by dots. This technology improves the high-frequency characteristics of the image and enhances diagonal resolution for higher-quality images.
Still images and video files recorded by the C5 can be quickly uploaded via USB 2.0 to a PC or Mac for viewing, editing and sharing via e-mail. Images and video can also be played back directly to the TV, or transferred to a VCR or DVD player.
For more info, see the official web page.
* 1/2.5 inch, 5.26-megapixel CCD (total) * Built-in digital image stabilization for accurate, steady shooting * High-resolution 5.0-megapixel still images * 10.0-megapixel mode (user selectable) employs real-time interpolation * MPEG-4 video and still images are recorded on a standard SD memory card * Up to one hour of high-quality, full-motion MPEG-4 video recording with (optional) 1 gigabyte SD memory card (VGA: 640x480 / 30fps) * 5X optical zoom lens; 12X digital zoom (combined up to 58x) * Auto Focus captures nearby or faraway targets (Min.: 10 cm, Max. Infinity) without the need for changing to Macro Mode * Trans-reflective 2.0-inch TFT LCD color screen allows easier viewing in direct sunlight * AAC-LC (MPEG-4 Audio) stereo provides superb 48 kHz, 16-bit, 2-channel sound * Voice Recorder Function lets the user record hours of audio notes and memos * 7 Scene Select modes allow users to select the mode best suited for each scene * Super Macro Shooting for sharp close-ups down to 1 cm from the subject * 5 Point Auto Focus for still images, Continuous Area AF for video * 15 Adjustable Manual Focus Settings * Fast Start-up lets shooting begin as soon as the monitor is opened * Built-in 3-mode flash for better snapshots indoors and out * Multifunction Docking Station with wireless infrared remote control * Play back images and video clips directly on a TV via Docking Station * Web cam function * Fast USB 2.0 & S-Video output * PC/Mac compatible * Thumbnail View provides display of up to nine thumbnail views on the monitor screen * Thin, compact Lithium-Ion battery gives 60 minutes of high-quality sequential recording * Dimensions: 2.7" (W) x 0.9" (D) x 4.3" (H) * Weight: Approx. 5.5 ounces (including battery and SD card)Share
- Around The Home
- Digital Cameras
- Good Thinking
- Health and Wellbeing
- Holiday Destinations
- Home Entertainment
- Inventors and Remarkable People
- Mobile Technology
- Urban Transport
- Wearable Electronics
- 2014 Small Compact Camera Comparison Guide
- 2014 Entry-Level to Enthusiast DSLR Comparison Guide
- 2014 iPad Comparison Guide
- 2014 Superzoom Camera Comparison Guide
- 2014 Tablet Comparison Guide
- 2014 Full Frame DSLR Comparison Guide
- 2014 Smartphone Comparison Guide
- 2014 Windows 2-in-1 Comparison Guide
- 2014 Smartwatch Comparison Guide