US home automation manufacturer Smarthome have introduced a line of devices specifically for kids including the Keep Out Doorknob Motion Sensor - a motion-sensing security device that hangs from the doorknob and detects intruders who don't know the secret code. The motion sensor also attaches to desk drawer handles and backpacks, sounding an alarm when tampering is detected.
Another clever device that addresses fear of the dark is the Lights Off Remote Control Light Switch - a remote switch that enables kids to turn on the light without having to leave the safety-zone of the bed.
"Today, kids begin interacting with technology at an early age and many are more tech-savvy than their parents," Matt Dean, vice president of marketing and sales for Smarthome, Inc. "SmarthomeKids line of products offers kids and parents smart, fun and educational alternatives to traditional toys and video games."
Also catching Gizmo's attention, Under Water Walkie-Talkies (Water-Talkies) effective at up to 5 metres are available. These don't rely on batteries or wires and their young inventor Rich Stachowski, who was honoured for his efforts by the US National Gallery of Young Inventors.
The Keep Out Doorknob Motion Sensor costs US$29.99, the Remote Control Light Switch costs US$19.99 and the Water Talkies cost US$11.99. See www.smarthome.com/smkids.html for more information.Share
- Around The Home
- Digital Cameras
- Good Thinking
- Health and Wellbeing
- Holiday Destinations
- Home Entertainment
- Inventors and Remarkable People
- Mobile Technology
- Urban Transport
- Wearable Electronics
- 2014 Action Camera Comparison Guide
- 2014 Smartwatch Comparison Guide
- 2014 Windows 2-in-1 Comparison Guide
- 2014 Smartphone Comparison Guide
- 2014 Full Frame DSLR Comparison Guide
- 2014 Tablet Comparison Guide
- 2014 Superzoom Camera Comparison Guide
- 2014 iPad Comparison Guide
- 2014 Entry-Level to Enthusiast DSLR Comparison Guide
- 2014 Small Compact Camera Comparison Guide