Shopping? Check out our latest product comparisons

GIBBS Quadski to launch in U.S. next month

October 16, 2012

The GIBBS Quadski

The GIBBS Quadski

After existing only in prototype form since at least 2006, the GIBBS Quadski is finally about to become a commercially-available product. The amphibious vehicle can be driven like a regular 4WD quad while on land, but it draws in its wheels and becomes a Jet Ski-like contraption upon entering the water – all within five seconds. At a press conference yesterday in Detroit, GIBBS founder Alan Gibbs and chairman Neil Jenkins announced that the Quadski will be available in select U.S. markets starting next month ... priced at about US$40,000.

The Quadski weighs 1,300 pounds (590 kg), has a 15-gallon (57-liter) fuel tank, and is powered by a 175-horsepower BMW Motorrad four-cylinder water-cooled engine – that engine also features electronic fuel injection, a double-overhead camshaft and dry-sump lubrication.

Both on land and water, the vehicle has a claimed top speed of 45 mph (72 km/h). Users just drive it into the water, then press a button to pull in the wheels and enable its jet propulsion system. Upon returning to land, it is likewise a simple matter to deploy the wheels and switch back to driving mode.

The GIBBS Quadski

Manufacturing of the Quadski will take place at a plant in Auburn Hills, Michigan. Plans currently call for the opening of over 20 U.S. dealerships within the next year, starting this November. The vehicle will initially be available in a single-person model only, in a choice of five colors.

The company hopes to introduce the Quadski to other markets, such as Europe and Latin America, in 2014. Additionally, it was stated that the vehicle “will pave the way for a host of other HSAs [High Speed Amphibians] for consumers, sports enthusiasts, law enforcement agencies, first responders and other commercial enterprises.”

GIBBS currently also manufactures the Phibian and Humdinga II high-speed “Amphitrucks.”

Source: GIBBS

Ben Coxworth An experienced freelance writer, videographer and television producer, Ben's interest in all forms of innovation is particularly fanatical when it comes to human-powered transportation, film-making gear, environmentally-friendly technologies and anything that's designed to go underwater. He lives in Edmonton, Alberta, where he spends a lot of time going over the handlebars of his mountain bike, hanging out in off-leash parks, and wishing the Pacific Ocean wasn't so far away.   All articles by Ben Coxworth

Excellent concept and design, but... absolutely RIDICULOUS price! $40 grand?!?! Might as well buy a separate ATV and jet ski for a fraction of the price.

Dax Wagner
16th October, 2012 @ 11:17 am PDT

I've seen the "buy a separate jetski and atv" comment on a bunch of sites about this (I'm in no way affiliated with Gibbs).

If you need to go somewhere that includes land and water, then having both is no use. You'd have to be able to tow your atv on a floating trailer behind the jetski on water and vice-versa on land.

The WHOLE point of this thing is it can do BOTH.

I think this thing would be excellent for boat owners (except for the weight). How many times you have to get something from a shop and you're anchored in a bay. With this thing, you just cruise into shore, and drive up to the shop. Awesome. And 40k is chump change for a megayacht owner.

Adrien
16th October, 2012 @ 01:35 pm PDT

We should all own this to commute. Less bad accidents. Less polution. Less crowed highways. Im all for it. Now make it inexpensive.

Sean Voitle
16th October, 2012 @ 05:10 pm PDT

this thing probably consumes at least 50% more gas the average gas guzzling atv while driving and even more than 50% than the average wave runner.

i could care less about efficiency, the problem is that unless you're using this for commuting, your range on some sort of extended overnight adventure is very much limited by the amount of spare gas you can carry. this vehicle is probably very range limited.

however, for certain types of smuggling , stealth, or military applications, this thing could be pretty sweet.

zevulon
16th October, 2012 @ 09:09 pm PDT

Cool, but it costs too much.

Pikeman
17th October, 2012 @ 03:28 am PDT

I ride ATV's and one of the things I notice about it is the wheel suspension and linkage doesn't look like it would hold up to much abuse. Sometimes that abuse is intentional (carrying too much speed etc.) but other times it just means carrying a normal amount of speed on bad terrain and hitting a tire-sized pot hole.

Salt water can be pretty unforgiving of something like this too. It definitely isn't an easy problem to solve.

Daishi
17th October, 2012 @ 05:26 am PDT

I'm going to stick mt neck out here and say, "If you find the price to be off-putting...well, you're probably outside their intended target group."

Me? I haven't bought a $30K automobile yet.

WhyEyeWine
17th October, 2012 @ 09:34 am PDT

Interesting, has it been tested on snow & ice? Could see one traversing a partially frozen body of water, could save your life over a top of the line snowmobile...

Can both jet & wheels be running simultaneously?

Bob Flint
17th October, 2012 @ 09:45 am PDT

I've watched the development (or lack thereof - ha!) for years and am happy to see it finally come to market.

The perfect application for this is rescue-oriented jobs like beach lifeguards. It is such an obvious solution that I'm surprised it hasn't been developed by others a long time ago.

If it does get adopted by "Rescue" and, say, military orgs like Coast Guard, Marines, Navy, Seals, etc. it will get all the punishment it can take and that will make the 2nd gen version awesome.

As to the fuel efficiency, I think the kind of adoption above will force that issue to be improved as well.

I hope it succeeds so I can buy one with confidence.

Joseph Boe
17th October, 2012 @ 10:22 am PDT

You know, as a gay man I normally look at things like this as a str8 guy thing. No, I don't want to ride that because I am wearing light weight wool. That being said. I WANT ONE!

SeanS.
17th October, 2012 @ 10:43 am PDT

This should be in the next James Bond movie, preferably stunt driven by Ken Block.

Gregg Eshelman
17th October, 2012 @ 11:05 am PDT

While it may drive on land it can't drive on public roads making it not very useable unless you have a trailer and only use it offroad.

I can see military uses though for special forces.

At that price it won't sell much.

jerryd
17th October, 2012 @ 11:18 am PDT

The final coffin nail in our wetlands and bird sanctuaries. Just what we needed.

John Hagen-Brenner
17th October, 2012 @ 12:50 pm PDT

I have to agree here...$40k? And it only sits one user? Not worth my time...or money!

Ed
17th October, 2012 @ 05:12 pm PDT

Markets for: Tourism, Science studies, Rescue, MedEvac,Surveys, Firefighting, SEAL Use ( DoD) & PR in a 007 movie, be awesome. Love to Rent & Own.

Stephen N Russell
17th October, 2012 @ 06:02 pm PDT

I am going to "stick my neck out" (ha!) and say there are only a couple of cogent points in this thread. The one that really stands out is by WhyEyeWine. Truly someone who is thinking.

I like people to invent stuff that most of us think are useless. Eventually some things come up that in 20 years we can't figure out how we did without. I remember looking at a friend's brother in 1980 who showed me his TRS-80 say hello to him when he said hello to it. I said "that's nice" I thought "way to blow $1000 geekster".

The market will determine the success or failure of this project. That means no O'bummer dollars to prop up the idea until it fails. (if that comment skews your view of this post, I retract it. If it doesn't let it stand : ] )

In the meantime, kudos to Gibbs for putting something he believes in on the market!

Dr. Veritas
18th October, 2012 @ 12:11 pm PDT

And yet another tool I'd love to own, yet will never afford.

kellory
20th October, 2012 @ 08:24 pm PDT

The $40K price tag will come down once production goes up. Gibbs seems to have come up with an elegant, scalable system (would LOVE to have one of their trucks!).

I look forward to seeing where these thigs wind up being adopted first and to what the next generations of these will look like.

Alan Belardinelli
23rd October, 2012 @ 05:11 am PDT

Why is it so big & heavy? Plus it seems to be only capable of carrying one person. Some cars weigh 600kg! they carry 4. Not quad bikes. Any ideas of a jetski kerb weight?.

Anthony Collett
14th November, 2012 @ 08:25 am PST

If it were street legal it could be of use. But being that it is an offroad, only vehicle one would still need a trailer and truck to get it near the water. This thing is not ready for prime time.

Jim Sadler
20th November, 2012 @ 09:21 pm PST

Well a few days ago Mid May 2013 I got an email from Gibbs saying they were now available in the USA. I went to their web page & called the dealer. They are $45,000.00 USD. Not road legal, for water use you probably need to register them as a boat & paint a 3" high number on them. So, hope you can drive it on & off your pickup. May I suggest a hovercraft instead, about the same amount of money, different set of limitations & benifits, Uses a lot less power, & so a lot less gas.

Dave B13