Photokina 2014 highlights

GEODOG GPS-enabled collar lets you find your dog using your smartphone

January 15, 2012

GEODOG fits snug without added bulk

GEODOG fits snug without added bulk

We've all experienced that moment of panic when we open the back door to let the dog inside only to find that he's not there. Technology has provided a solution to this dilemma with GPS tracking devices designed specifically for our four-legged friends entering the market in recent years, but this offering from GEODOG claims to improve on those that have gone before with a new slimline design that's shockproof, easily-adjustable, user-friendly and unobtrusive.

Having owned one of the more primitive models myself, I can tell you without hesitation that it's not something I felt comfortable leaving on my dogs. The collar itself was fine, but there was a large black box and a small antenna that left me feeling that it could get stuck in brush or thickets and become a possible safety risk for the animal. The GEODOG collar is much slimmer in profile, and doesn't require the bulky control center or the exposed antenna. The collar itself isn't much thicker than a standard dog collar and the weight is an extremely manageable 150-grams (5.3-ounces).

The GEODOG system comes with the collar, and a proprietary software which works with Windows-based PCs (XP/Vista/7) as well as Android or Windows Mobile-equipped smartphones.

When you notice your dog is missing, you ring the number for GEODOG and you'll receive a text message with the GPS coordinates of the missing dog. The message contains a link to the coordinates on a map, which you can open on your smartphone and use to coordinate your search efforts.

GEODOG collar

The software itself also has a couple of intuitive modes that make monitoring simple. The "Zones" feature acts as a virtual fence, and sends you an SMS message when your dog leaves the predefined zone. The text message includes the direction and the distance your dog traveled from the home. While tracking him, you'll get updated messages every time he moves from his last position by a certain distance (e.g. 100 meters or 328 feet).

You can also define reference points - such as property boundaries or roadways - and "No-Go-Zones" to alert you when your dog reaches a defined point. For example, if you have a dog that likes to swim, you can set an alert when he reaches a pond or creek close to your home which gives you a pretty good idea of what he's up to. No worries though, the system is completely waterproof.

There are two sizes available - GEODOG L for large dogs with a neck size between 46cm and 52cm, and GEODOG S is for neck sizes between 41cm and 47cm. The company says that the battery will last for a whole week in Stand-by-mode and 24 hours in normal operating mode.

The GEODOG system is available for EUR299 (US$378). The mobile version of the software will set you back an additional EUR99 (US$125) for the multi-dog license or EUR69 (US$87) for the single license.

Talk about keeping an animal in a tight lash..

How would you feel being watched on videocamera all the time?

Even though dogs are "just" animals, don´t they still deserve the right of freedom?

I mean I would feel like I lived in a prison if I was tracked all the time.

Freedom of choice - whether to stay or not to, even dogs should have that choice yea?

Christoffer Thor Wang Sperling
15th January, 2012 @ 06:25 am PST

I'll try to skip on past the petit bourgeois heartache of keeping an eye on your dog.

Here in the States, one of the usual reasons for your dog companion going missing is theft - or dognapping for ransom.

I'd consider one of these collars as long as there was a version that didn't identify itself as a tracking device. For that would tell the average crook - even here in New Mexico - that coppers could use it to track down the doggy hostage.

Eideard
15th January, 2012 @ 03:30 pm PST

will it fit my Boy?

Anthony's Ranch The Guy
16th January, 2012 @ 02:40 am PST

How do I teach my dog to keep his phone charged up?

donwine
16th January, 2012 @ 08:33 am PST

You can get a new dog for less than $500. Would you spend $2500 for an alarm for a $1000 car? Also, dogs require a licence in most states. As soon as he is found, animal control will return him. That's our tax dollars at work.

PizzaEater
16th January, 2012 @ 09:06 am PST

What my cat we like to track him too??????

Richie Suraci
16th January, 2012 @ 09:35 am PST

@pizzaeater: first, there are many dogs that cost thousands. But, even assuming a dog pound mutt, the initial cost of the dog is the smallest part of your investment. There's the time and effort you put into training, the emotional investment, the various shots and alterations (spay/neuter) etc.

As for the person who says let doggie have his freedom, he's your child, not your partner.

Bryan Paschke
16th January, 2012 @ 10:14 am PST

PizzaEater, I hope you don't own a dog. It's a pet, a friend, a family member... they can't be replaced by simply buying another one. You have no compassion; you have no understanding of the issue.

eDave
16th January, 2012 @ 10:19 am PST

Brilliant. I want one for my former salesmen.

Mirmillion
16th January, 2012 @ 02:09 pm PST

Christoffer, so long as you tell the dog it is only an ordinary collar, they'll never know! My dog is easy to fool.

Mark Wilkinson
16th January, 2012 @ 04:16 pm PST

1. imagine that you are hunting with a pack of dogs...oops, no cellphone service!

2. imagine that you are enjoying the sun in a large, forested park...oops, by the time you get coordinates the dog has moved 100 or more yards.

3. is there a charge for each call? if so, then what are going to do? call every 2 minutes for an update?

4. since the collar and device are attached; you won't be able to have an electronic training collar on at the same time very easily. that would be a great improvement!

5. a device that was a cellphone and gps could be set to allow cellphone users to keep track of them. then you wouldn't have to call; saving the company lots of money on people answering the phone.

notarichman
17th January, 2012 @ 08:18 am PST

I use a fence and a leash when my dogs are outside, I've had several over the years and haven't lost a single one. Who lets their dogs run free, except for hunters and that goes with the territory. Other than that, keep your dog on a leash, inside a fence or in the house where they belong. Cars and coyotes are hard on dogs!

Eric

ericl
17th January, 2012 @ 11:17 am PST

Let your dog have its freedom? Within reason sure, but it is illegal to simply allow your dog to roam around free, at least in my city it is. There are leash laws. There is always the possibility that the dog could escape and wander off, especially if you have children. I accidentally freed my dog and my father's dog a number of times, not intentionally but due to childish absent mindedness. I left their kennel door slightly open, didnt latch it correctly, etc. My father's pointers were smart, they could work a fence latch, we had to keep locks on them. Dogs like to dig, they could easily get out of a fence, like our pointers did, by digging their way out. With this I could have found the dog in a matter of minutes rather than hours of searching and calling. The neighbors dont usually like dogs wandering through their yards either. Not only is it a help for the safety of your pet, to keep it out of harms way (e.g. angry neighbors, fast cars, other wild or angry animals), but if you live in a city with leash laws it could keep you from getting a ticket...

Mack McDowell
18th January, 2012 @ 03:52 am PST

If this gave you real time GPS updates to your pc/iphone/android etc, if it were theft proof and unnoticeable to a potential dog thieves eyes I might be interested.

I can see the power button being snagged or knocked by a branch, bush, rolling about etc.

In principle this is a great idea - just in need of refinement.

----notarichman----

I'm not sure about overseas - but here in the UK a dog off the lead (thats not aggressive) is normal. I'd like to know how I can get my Rhodesian ridge-back the right exercise on the lead. Dogs love to run around - and ironically are less likely to be badly behaved when not being domineered with a lead. Just take the time to train both the dog and the owner.

"Other than that, keep your dog on a leash, inside a fence or in the house where they belong." ----- You clearly haven't got a clue, dogs are pack animals with a natural territory outside - not in the house, fenced in, or on the lead.

Rant Over

Chris Kedzierski
18th January, 2012 @ 09:53 pm PST

Its a nice idea. It would be even nicer if it was a just an implantable chip.

Lisa Panger
2nd May, 2012 @ 07:23 pm PDT

Hi Brian,

did you buy it from Germany and does it work in the States as well.?

thanks

Coco

Coco Baum
29th November, 2012 @ 06:55 am PST

Hi,

Not sure i like the idea of these collars, they look a bit bulky, i was originally searching for Dog Training Collars, anybody used these, they are saying on http://dogtrainingcollars.co that the best one is made by Sportdog,

ukecom
15th June, 2013 @ 08:39 am PDT

A motion charger, to keep battery charged would be nice..

I once had a self winding watch as a kid, it worked fine. Don't see why the same principle could not be used to charge battery.

acyron
13th January, 2014 @ 05:14 pm PST

I have been using one of these collars for several years and it works just fine - it lasts up to a week on eco mode and 24 hours on normal mode (plenty of time to locate him) so I just charge it each night when my dog is in the house. The power botton had not yet been knocked as you have to hold it for a few seconds to turn the collar off. It is not uncomfortable for him - he doesn't notice it. As to comments about the cost of the phone calls in case he went missing this would be a complete non-issue. Even if I sent hundreds of texts it would still be less than a night out. My dog was a rescue, not one that cost thousands of dollars, but he is part of the family and I would do anything to keep him safe. Sure you can argue that I could get another dog - its the same argument as having another child rather than investing in a child car seat.

AmandaS