Elgato EyeTV HD PVR lets users watch and edit cable and sat TV on a Mac
By Jeff Salton
May 25, 2010
Want to turn your Mac into a DVR with full access to premium cable or satellite TV content? Elgato says its customers can do just with its EyeTV HD, that lets users watch, record, edit and enjoy cable and satellite TV in high-definition, including all their premium channels, on a Mac. What’s more, the EyeTV HD includes a unique dual-format capture mode that records in iPad and iPhone formats at the same time, allowing users to stream live and recorded TV to an iPhone or iPad using the optional EyeTV app.
Elgato says its EyeTV HD is easy to setup and use by connecting EyeTV HD to the outputs of the cable or satellite receiver with the included component cables, and to the computer via USB. The company says users can then position the included infrared channel changer cable nearby for flicking through channels while on the couch.
The EyeTV software setup assistant takes you through a simple configuration process and before you know it you’ll be manipulating your own premium content.
EyeTV HD also has a unique dual-format capture mode so that you can record in iPad and iPhone formats at the same time. And an optional EyeTV iPhone/iPad app lets you stream live TV to your device. EyeTV HD also enables fast exports to iTunes.
EyeTV HD records in the H.264 format for a high-definition digital picture with a smaller file size compared to MPEG-2 recordings and equivalent quality at half the data rate.
The EyeTV HD can capture video from analog and digital sources, such as a VCR or a camcorder. EyeTV HD includes component inputs for HD sources, as well as S-Video and composite inputs for standard definition sources.
The EyeTV HD bundle includes Toast Basic disc-burning software so you can archive your favorite movies and TV shows and save space on your hard drive.
EyeTV HD also comes with EyeTV 3, the award-winning TV software for Mac which impressed when we reviewed Elgato’s Netstream DTT recently. Watch, pause, and rewind live TV – at the desk or on the couch. With it users can search the electronic program guide using multiple criteria, and record one show or create Smart Series Guides to record the entire season of a TV series. It is then possible to edit recordings and share them with other Macs on the network. EyeTV can even export TV shows to iTunes automatically for playback on iPhone or iPad.
EyeTV 3 includes one year of free data from TV Guide, with optional renewal for only US$19.95 per year. An optional EyeTV app is available to stream live or recorded TV to an iPhone or iPad. Smart Series Guide functionality requires a TV Guide subscription.System Requirements
- Macintosh: 2.26 GHz Intel Core® 2 Duo processor or better, Mac OS X v10.5.8 or later
- 2 GB RAM, built-in USB 2.0 port
- Cable or satellite receiver with analog video and audio outputs (component output required for HD)
- Internet connection required to download Program Guide data.
- EyeTV HD recorder
- EyeTV 3 TV software for Mac (CD-ROM)
- Infrared remote control with battery pack
- EyeTV infrared channel changer
- USB, Component and stereo cables (all 6 ft)
- Breakout cable for composite and S-Video inputs
- PDF product manual (CD-ROM)
EyeTV HD is available from the Elgato on-line store and from the Apple Store for US$199.95.Share
- Around The Home
- Digital Cameras
- Good Thinking
- Health and Wellbeing
- Holiday Destinations
- Home Entertainment
- Inventors and Remarkable People
- Mobile Technology
- Urban Transport
- Wearable Electronics
- 2014 Action Camera Comparison Guide
- 2014 Smartwatch Comparison Guide
- 2014 Windows 2-in-1 Comparison Guide
- 2014 Smartphone Comparison Guide
- 2014 Full Frame DSLR Comparison Guide
- 2014 Tablet Comparison Guide
- 2014 Superzoom Camera Comparison Guide
- 2014 iPad Comparison Guide
- 2014 Entry-Level to Enthusiast DSLR Comparison Guide
- 2014 Small Compact Camera Comparison Guide