Highlights from Interbike 2014

Edible electronic medical devices could be swallowed like regular pills

By

April 25, 2013

An illustration of the edible micro-battery, that could power ingestible medical devices

An illustration of the edible micro-battery, that could power ingestible medical devices

Over the past several years, scientists have developed so-called “camera pills,” that can be swallowed by patients and then transmit video from within their bodies. While such non-digestible gadgets could serve as an invaluable means of imaging, researchers at Carnegie Mellon University are now looking into tiny electronic medical devices that could be swallowed and partially digested, providing non-invasive treatment in the process.

The research project is being led by professors Christopher Bettinger and Jay Whitacre. Bettinger has been working on biodegradable electronics for medical use, while Whitacre has developed an inexpensive, non-toxic, sodium-ion electrochemical battery.

“I had claimed my device was so non-toxic that you 'could eat the battery’,” said Whitacre. “Chris came into my office and asked, 'Can you really eat it?'. The answer is yes and the rest is history – my edible battery chemistry with his need for low level power in a digestible form were a great match.”

The concept involves having simple electronic devices such as sensors, drug delivery systems or tissue-stimulating tools powered by the batteries, and made from a biodegradable shape-memory polymer. These devices would be folded down and encased within a gelatin capsule, allowing for a timed release at a key point in the gastrointestinal tract. When the capsule dissolved, the polymer would hydrate, thus initiating electrical current flow from the battery, and causing the device to open into its operational form.

An illustration of the edible micro-battery, that could power ingestible medical devices

The capsules could be taken daily like regular medication, and the devices would stay within the patient’s digestive system for about 18 to 24 hours (just like food) although their functional lifetime would be along the lines of one to two hours. Ultimately, the various components would either be digested or passed in the stool – so no, nothing would be re-used.

So far the scientists have developed an ingestible version of the battery, but they’re now ready to take the next step. “Once you have the battery technology down (which we do), this opens up a lot of different applications in actively powered edible electronics,” Bettinger told us. “We think there is a big future in edible devices because most patients are comfortable with swallowing a pill. The key is to make the materials safe and biocompatible, which we have done.”

A paper on the research was recently published in the Journal of Materials Chemistry B.

Source: Carnegie Mellon University

About the Author
Ben Coxworth An experienced freelance writer, videographer and television producer, Ben's interest in all forms of innovation is particularly fanatical when it comes to human-powered transportation, film-making gear, environmentally-friendly technologies and anything that's designed to go underwater. He lives in Edmonton, Alberta, where he spends a lot of time going over the handlebars of his mountain bike, hanging out in off-leash parks, and wishing the Pacific Ocean wasn't so far away.   All articles by Ben Coxworth
2 Comments

Have they developed a digestible bluetooth radio? How is the data sent from pill to the world?

rik.warren
26th April, 2013 @ 10:02 am PDT

can apply to pets, place in cat/dog food for Vet to use??

Stephen N Russell
26th April, 2013 @ 05:49 pm PDT
Post a Comment

Login with your gizmag account:

Or Login with Facebook:


Related Articles
Looking for something? Search our 28,490 articles