Highlights from the 2014 LA Auto Show

ECOmove’s QBEAK electric car to hit the road in 2012

July 25, 2012

ECOmove's QBEAK is an electric car targeted at urban dwellers

ECOmove's QBEAK is an electric car targeted at urban dwellers

Over the last few years, electric cars have become more mainstream with the launch of successful models such as the Chevy Volt and the Nissan Leaf. Now, Danish developer and manufacturer ECOmove hopes to enter the expanding e-car market with its QBEAK model, which is slated to hit the road in 2012.

Clearly pitched at urban dwellers, the emissions-free QBEAK weighs approximately 400 kg (881.4 lbs) while its batteries offer a range of up to 300 km (186.4 miles), with a top speed of 120 km (74.6 miles) per hour. Customization is at the core of the concept and the car can be adapted to suit different requirements of the owner. It can feature up to six seats or alternatively the seats can be removed to make room for a more spacious trunk.

The number of batteries is also flexible, as they are available in removable modules (up to six can be installed in one car). With a length of three meters (9.8 ft) and sliding side doors, parking should not be a problem for the QBEAK (although it doesn't quite match the Hiriko in the parking department). The driver's seat is located in the middle of the car, so the driver can easily get out from either side.

The QBEAK features a platform with room for flexible battery modules, and a communication ...

“We have chosen to use alternative light weight materials and the QBEAK is equipped with a range of sustainable, competitive features such as in-wheel motors, a unique chassis platform with room for flexible battery modules and a communication system based on a smartphone,” said Mogens Løkke, ECOmove’s CEO. It also features a small turning radius and remote-controlled applications.

The simplicity and lightness of the model means that owning one should not break the bank. In fact, ECOmove estimates that running costs will be less than half the price of maintaining a standard car. Besides saving money, the QBEAK is also designed to save the environment. ECOmove says the QBEAK is made from non-corrosive materials that can sustain minor collisions - many of those parts are also recyclable or rebuildable.

ECOmove recently received the 2012 European Electric Vehicles Early Stage Investment Opportunity Award from the Frost & Sullivan-company.

There is no word yet as to the pricing or availability of the QBEAK, but you can see it in action in the video below.

Source: ECOmove

Antonio Pasolini Brazilian-Italian Antonio Pasolini graduated in journalism in Brazil before heading out to London for an MA in film and television studies. He fell in love with the city and spent 13 years there as a film reviewer before settling back in Brazil. Antonio's passion for green issues - and the outdoors - eventually got the best of him and since 2007 he's been writing about alternative energy, sustainability and new technology.   All articles by Antonio Pasolini

Way better looking then a smart car and much smarter too. I could see them being popular.

The Hoff
25th July, 2012 @ 01:21 pm PDT

Hmmmm, a good first try, but I think, with a little work they could make this thing even uglier.

oldguy
25th July, 2012 @ 01:30 pm PDT

Another designer throwing away style for personality. All potential lost in my opinion.

jonoxn
25th July, 2012 @ 06:33 pm PDT

Love it, Love It, Love it.

I know it looks a bit odd, but this has all the things I'm looking for in a "smart" car. The range is great & the flexible seating is just brilliant, sometimes I need to pick a few people up, some times I need to stow a heap of gear, removable seats are just so obvious. And why don't more cars have sliding doors, they just make entry/exit and loading so much easier.

Not sure if they will be available in Australia, we seem to be at least a few years behind the times, but if they bring it out here, I'll be customer 00001. Ideally it would be under $30k

Develocon
25th July, 2012 @ 06:36 pm PDT

It looks like a cheap plastic toy that was left in a locked car on a hot summer day.

Slowburn
26th July, 2012 @ 01:16 am PDT

All I can say is Cool. Good range and flexible design. However, how cool when driving in Spain in 38 deg heat? Aircon an option, but will prob kill the range. Mind you, recharge it from my solar pv panel array and I've got virtual free fuel. Got to be a good way to travel, and no emissions. Will have to wait for the price.

Tony Samson
26th July, 2012 @ 07:53 am PDT

My first thought was "oh, another fugly thing that no-one will buy".... but it's grown on me, and I reckon I would seriously considering buying one of these- provided the stats pan out. For a tiny car, it seems very spacious- well thought out, though I am doubting 6 seats is really an option.

Until we get a few of these on the roads in the UK, people will be put off by the unusual looks of this sort of vehicle. (I remember how odd the Smart looked when there were only a few around. But we get used to it. Now they are commonplace enough that we don't even notice them- which is as it should be IMO.)

I would like to see a manufacturer of "one of these sorts" of cars muster a fleet, and do a tour around the country. Get their products seen. Get us used to the looks, get across the point of QUIET, economical vehicles.

Just my two pen'th!

Grahamw
27th July, 2012 @ 02:50 am PDT

"... fast charging..." ? Can they be any more vague? Please, if it really charges quickly, give us the time. And why oh why does an econo-car have to be so ugly? I have seen many low drag designs that are sexy. I bought one in 1967.

Giving us an option on seating has potential. This may turn out to be a very popular option. I would remove all but two seats to reduce weight. But why don't they tell us what the increased milage would be? Is it possible they did not even do the test? Also, I would like to see the stats on battery life and cost of replacement. I would like to know the range for many battery configurations so I can chose how many batts I want based on the cost/range ratio. For example, If I increase my range 19 miles (10%) at the cost of 30% I might not want that last battery.

voluntaryist
27th July, 2012 @ 07:16 pm PDT

I think it is a nice design. It would be neat to see it sold in the USA.

BigGoofyGuy