Dishwasher-safe, waterproof keyboard and mouse
By Jeff Salton
July 26, 2009
Seal Shield's range of keyboards and mice are waterproof, dishwasher safe and contain antimicrobial properties to resist the spread of harmful germs and bacteria, which means a cleaner, healthier work and play environment.
Keyboards have often been blamed for being breeding grounds for common illnesses as they are often shared by many users in offices or the home. Apart from trapping food, dust and other office flotsam and jetsam (a simple test is to turn your keyboard upside down and give it a shake over your desk to see what falls out) the real ‘nasties’ on a keyboard can often be what you can’t see – bacteria that breeds on the key surfaces.
Properly cleaning a keyboard and mouse has always been problematic because of their inability to be ‘washed’.
These products allow users to regularly wash their keyboards and mice thoroughly and safely by simply putting them in the dishwasher or washing them in a sink of warm, soapy water.
And many of the company’s products also incorporate Silver Seal™ protection - an antimicrobial protection achieved by embedding silver ions in the products’ plastic and/or silicon to help resist microbial growth and inhibit the spread of odor-causing bacteria.
Feel the same
The company says that the waterproof keyboard and scroll mouse feel no different regular products on the market, and their movement and accuracy is not compromised.
Seal Shield's products are designed for individuals, families, schools, healthcare organizations, corporations and governmental agencies for technology solutions that can be cleaned and disinfected quickly and easily.
Keyboards and mice in the range are manufactured to pass NEMA 4X / IP68 international standards specifications, which are designed to protect against ingress from the elements.
The company also has a range of waterproof remote controls that appear ideal for the bath, spa or pool, or again, just keeping them clean.
- Dishwasher safe for easy cleaning
- Protected with Silver Seal™ Antimicrobial properties
- 100% Waterproof Guaranteed — 2 Year Limited Warranty
- Family Friendly — Durable and Safe
- Natural look and feel with full travel keys
- Laser etched keys will not fade from washing
- Plug ‘n’ Play installation (Gold USB with PS/2 adapter)
- Seal Cap™ (Patent Pending) protects 24k Gold USB connector
- Waterproof Capacity 100% waterproof
- Compatibility PC (Vista™, Windows XP™) and Mac (OS X 10.5+, USB, CD-ROM)
- Keyboard Size 465mm x 171mm x 33mm
- Key layout 107
- Key switch membrane key switch with tactile feedback
- Keycaps type laser etched
- Life cycle 10 million strokes
- Power data input power: +5v dc 10% low power consumption
- Connector USB gold, PS/2 adapter included
- Switch force 55gf 10gf
- EMI FCC Class B, CE
- Key elasticity 55 ± 8g
- Total key travel 3.0±0.5mm
The Seal Shield Medical Grade Washable Keyboard and mouse cost around USD$40 each. See Seal Shield for more information.Share
- Around The Home
- Digital Cameras
- Good Thinking
- Health and Wellbeing
- Holiday Destinations
- Home Entertainment
- Inventors and Remarkable People
- Mobile Technology
- Urban Transport
- Wearable Electronics
- 2014 Action Camera Comparison Guide
- 2014 Smartwatch Comparison Guide
- 2014 Windows 2-in-1 Comparison Guide
- 2014 Smartphone Comparison Guide
- 2014 Full Frame DSLR Comparison Guide
- 2014 Tablet Comparison Guide
- 2014 Superzoom Camera Comparison Guide
- 2014 iPad Comparison Guide
- 2014 Entry-Level to Enthusiast DSLR Comparison Guide
- 2014 Small Compact Camera Comparison Guide