Shopping? Check out our latest product comparisons

2014 Corvette's 6.2L V-8 LT1 engine to have 450+ horsepower

October 24, 2012

The Corvette LT1 V-8 complete engine

The Corvette LT1 V-8 complete engine

The 2014 Chevrolet Corvette is scheduled to hit the market late next year, and Chevy has given us a preview of its brand new engine. The automaker has said that its goal with the 2014 Corvette is to raise the bar in terms of performance engines. It also wanted to focus on fuel economy, while not sacrificing the raw power that Corvette fans expect. It's now been revealed that the vehicle is going to come off assembly lines with a 6.2L V-8 that is able to deliver an estimated 450 horsepower and 450 lb-ft (610 Nm) of torque.

While final numbers will not be available until early next year, Chevy estimates that this will be the quickest Corvette ever, with a 0-60 mph (96.5 km/h) time of under four seconds. The automaker also predicts it will be the most fuel-efficient Corvette, with a higher EPA estimate than the 2013 model's 26 mpg (9 l/100 km) highway.

Chevy added a direct injection fuel system, active fuel management and variable valve timing systems, all of which help generate more power across the entire power band, instead of focusing only on top end. As an added bonus, the direct injection system should also help reduce emissions.

The Corvette LT1 V-8 oil pan and windage tray

The Corvette LT1 V-8 oil pan and windage tray

The company is also introducing an all-aluminum block and oil pan. This is intended to drop weight, increase rigidity, and help the engine better absorb vibrations. To go along with this, Chevy is also adding iron main bearing caps. These are stronger, and they help produce a quieter ride without sacrificing performance.

Some other features of the Corvette's new engine include an improved cooling system, continuously variable camshaft timing, cylinder deactivation, cam-driven fuel pump, and an improved oiling system.

Chevy is certainly pulling out all the stops for the 2014 Corvette, and if this engine actually surpasses 450 horsepower, we will be thoroughly impressed.

Source: Chevrolet

Dave LeClair Dave is an avid follower of all things mobile, gaming, and any kind of new technology he can get his hands on. Ever since he first played an NES as a child, he's been an absolute tech and gaming junkie.   All articles by Dave LeClair

If they can't pull 450 out of that size of an engine they are not engineers. Audi's S5 V8 is a 4.2L that can do 450 (350 street) once its been after market tuned.

Rocky Stefano
25th October, 2012 @ 05:33 am PDT

@rocky

It is not to bad of a number , remember this does not have overhead cams and it is the first year of production, numbers will keep going up.

They are also going to get better than 26 mpg which is quite impressive.

I am not a Chevy honk but I think the numbers look pretty good

I am not really familiar with Audi so I had a quick look for the specs and what I saw is that it puts out 350 hp for 4.2 L which is a higher specific output but I think you would need to look at the full torque curve of the engine.

Remember there is no replacement for displacement :)

That being said Ford Kicks Ass with the Boss 302 444 HP from 5.0 liters which I believe is one of the highest specific outputs in terms of HP per cubic inch in a naturally aspirated motor available , and they haven't switch to direct injection yet.

Captain Danger
25th October, 2012 @ 06:48 am PDT

Great!

Unfortunately, this will be placed in a Corvette...so the fit and finish will be for s**t and it still won't be able to corner worth a damn.

Joseph Boe
25th October, 2012 @ 07:15 am PDT

Fastest Corvette ever? Chevy has at least 3 Corvette's that should be faster than this one (the 427, Z06 and ZR1). The ZR1 hands down will be way faster.

All have been available at least since 2012. I don't know the actualy 0-60 mph times, but both the 427 and Z06 makes 505 hp and the ZR1 makes 638 hp. The ZR1 I know runs 0-60 mph in about 3.3 seconds. I believe the Z06 is around 3.9 seconds. The C5 Z06 already made 500 hp and could run close to 4 seconds when accelerating to 60 mph from a standstill.

I guess they must be dropping a ton of weight on the final car? But I don't know how acceleration claims can be made based just on an engine.

habakak
25th October, 2012 @ 09:27 am PDT

Porsche 911GT2 is a 3.6 liter six cylinder and cranks out over 600 BHP

How is it that Chevy, GM and FORD feel that a big engine 5.0 and higher with only 450 BHP is somehow an advancement? I love the Corvette body style even though the interior is long over due for re-styling. But Americas(my beloved country) builders are nostalgic and boring (Mustang, Camaro, Challenger),and need to look at smaller engines with higher power out put

and forward thinking styling (except for Corvette body which I love).

Gargamoth
25th October, 2012 @ 11:03 am PDT

Yes, Porsche gets 600 BHP from 3.6 SUPERCHARGED liters. If Chevy were to supercharge the new V8, you could reasonably expect 850+ horsepower. But superchargers bring thier own set of problems: lubrication, cooling, bearing wear, belts, etc. I like them on small engines. But if Chevy can make the power they need with the fuel economy they need, who needs superchargers? And I'll bet it gets better mileage than the Porsche! Besides, have you heard a Porsche 6 versus an American V8? No comparison. Torque rules.

Clay Jones
25th October, 2012 @ 01:12 pm PDT

@Gargamoth

Doesn't the 911GT2 you mention have twin turbos?

For a NATURALLY aspirated engine the BOSS does very well.

As to why an Automaker would say that 450 hp is a big deal is because it is. I remember 1982 when Fords advertisement for the Mustang was "The BOSS is back and boy is he mad". This was fro a 157 hp 2 barrel 4 speed (4 being an overdrive) manual car. That actually got me fired up. After years of seeing HP ratings fall there seemed to be little hope for performance comparable to the 60's and now I see guys dismissively talking about engines that can put out 400+ HP. Incredible.

As to your comment about a 302 being a big engine, I would suggest that the big engine territory (for a car) starts around 400 cubic inches.

@Joe Vettes can't corner worth a damn? Come on , maybe in snow but get real. Corvettes usually do very well when compared to other cars in track tests and doing well on a track requires that a car be able to go around a corner.

Captain Danger
25th October, 2012 @ 01:38 pm PDT

My 2001 z06 did 0-60 in 4 sec, 13 sec 1/4 mile on street tires (my time at the strip), and got 31MPG (real, not EPA lies) on the highway with the A/C off.

I seriously doubt a 6.2L will come close to that, let alone be the "best fuel mileage Corvette ever".

I really miss that car :-(

solutions4circuits
25th October, 2012 @ 01:59 pm PDT

Forgot to mention that it cornered as if on rails...rated at 1G on the skidpad, stock tires.

solutions4circuits
25th October, 2012 @ 02:01 pm PDT

I'm amazed this "new" engine doesn't have 16 carburetors or something similarly stupid. Why are the Americans so proud of their ability to keep using old school technology in cars when they are so good at inventing and being groundbreaking in other areas?

Conny Söre
25th October, 2012 @ 02:35 pm PDT

Retro fit engine & tranny (manumatic etc) into a nice Resto Mod

1962 Vette coupe, Awesome for sure.

Exterior says 62, interior is 2014 engine.,

Stephen N Russell
25th October, 2012 @ 06:00 pm PDT

Just one question. How does ..."adding iron main bearing caps...produce a quieter ride" ?????

Bob
25th October, 2012 @ 06:23 pm PDT

I am sure they mean fastest base model Vette ever. If you look at Hp per liter, the numbers aren't impressive for a normally aspirated motor (72.5 hp/l) compared to a 458 Italia (124 hp/l)

As a proud owner of a LS3 powered C6 corvette, i can tell you for the money this car cant be beat, i bought it used $30K. The only car I fear on the road is the new Boss 302 mustang. The new challenger and camaro are way too heavy.

In my opinion , once you start approching 500hp, you really can't use it unless you have 4wd. Without traction control i can spin my tires all day.

mike m
26th October, 2012 @ 11:39 am PDT

Comparing a naturally aspirated engine to the Porsche 911 GT2 isn't right because that is a turbocharged car.

A better comparison is to the Porsche 911 GT3 4.0 or the Ferrari 458 Italia. These cars both make 125+hp/L and 84 and 88 lb-ft respectively. These cars are also naturally aspirated, but destroy the Boss's 89 hp/L and 76 lb-ft/L

I am a big fan of American cars, and they are fast becoming the best track cars, but give credit where credit is due. Plus the ferrari 458 italia is a 4.5 L V8 with a great sound.

PhineasQ
2nd November, 2012 @ 06:30 pm PDT

Fastest regular vette bro, Z06/ZR1 ARE SPECIAL EDITIONS.

Sammy Cantic
28th November, 2012 @ 03:09 pm PST

@habakak yeah, they do keep saying "the fastest corvette ever" but. i think they mean "fastest 'base model' corvette ever" which is what i have read other places. but... it's still damn impressive. but the ZR1 is definitely faster, but it's a super car, whereas this is supposed to be a production super car. IF they do a z06 or zr-1 it will be much faster.

@ joeboe they completely re-designed this car ground up, the handling and suspension is supposed to FAR surpass the past cars, and be in ferrari / lambo territory. the only exception is that it is NOT a mid-rear car, so will still be kinda weird in turns, but, they shaved a ton of weight off of this motor, so it's much easier to achieve better balance for handling. I honestly can't wait to see them take it to Nürburgring. maybe they will make a teaser like they did when the ZR1 came out.

Mitch Berry
21st January, 2013 @ 11:10 pm PST

Chevrolet Engineers mentioned that going down to a V6 Turbo and or Smaller V8 could produce the same HP but the fuel economy WOULD BE WORSE since smaller engines MUST rev harder and would consume more gas, not to mention more complex and unreliable.....The Chevy Small Block has been around for almost 60 years and it revs lower and without strain.....BTW, Audi dumped their multivalve gas guzzler V8s in favor of V6 with turbos in the midline S series....Yes 4 valves per cylinder would be nice but that should be a higher priced car since that would be around 550 HP....In the end, GM did not have to do a lot to maintain good fuel economy....I wonder if it'll break into the 11s in the 1/4 mile and get close to 30 MPG Highway.....with "Old Tech" Pushrods! Now THAT would shut up a lot of people in this thread.

RUSH66
2nd March, 2013 @ 05:11 pm PST

Yeah...but it's still the same old combustion engine . My Buick Roadmaster '96. gets 25mpg/gallon. So what's the big gain? We are still in the same place we were 100 years ago. Thanks to Rockeffelers and others who suppress worlds progress....

ReVox