Shopping? Check out our latest product comparisons

Italian doctor may have found surprisingly simple cure for Multiple Sclerosis

November 26, 2009

Left: diagram from a medical text showing how MS affects the myelin sheathing of nerves. Right: MS lesions under a microscope.

An Italian doctor has been getting dramatic results with a new type of treatment for Multiple Sclerosis, or MS, which affects up to 2.5 million people worldwide. In an initial study, Dr. Paolo Zamboni took 65 patients with relapsing-remitting MS, performed a simple operation to unblock restricted bloodflow out of the brain - and two years after the surgery, 73% of the patients had no symptoms. Dr. Zamboni's thinking could turn the current understanding of MS on its head, and offer many sufferers a complete cure.

Multiple sclerosis, or MS, has long been regarded as a life sentence of debilitating nerve degeneration. More common in females, the disease affects an estimated 2.5 million people around the world, causing physical and mental disabilities that can gradually destroy a patient's quality of life.

It's generally accepted that there's no cure for MS, only treatments that mitigate the symptoms - but a new way of looking at the disease has opened the door to a simple treatment that is causing radical improvements in a small sample of sufferers.

Italian Dr. Paolo Zamboni has put forward the idea that many types of MS are actually caused by a blockage of the pathways that remove excess iron from the brain - and by simply clearing out a couple of major veins to reopen the blood flow, the root cause of the disease can be eliminated.

Dr. Zamboni's revelations came as part of a very personal mission - to cure his wife as she began a downward spiral after diagnosis. Reading everything he could on the subject, Dr. Zamboni found a number of century-old sources citing excess iron as a possible cause of MS. It happened to dovetail with some research he had been doing previously on how a buildup of iron can damage blood vessels in the legs - could it be that a buildup of iron was somehow damaging blood vessels in the brain?

He immediately took to the ultrasound machine to see if the idea had any merit - and made a staggering discovery. More than 90% of people with MS have some sort of malformation or blockage in the veins that drain blood from the brain. Including, as it turned out, his wife.

He formed a hypothesis on how this could lead to MS: iron builds up in the brain, blocking and damaging these crucial blood vessels. As the vessels rupture, they allow both the iron itself, and immune cells from the bloodstream, to cross the blood-brain barrier into the cerebro-spinal fluid. Once the immune cells have direct access to the immune system, they begin to attack the myelin sheathing of the cerebral nerves - Multiple Sclerosis develops.

He named the problem Chronic Cerebro-Spinal Venous Insufficiency, or CCSVI.

Zamboni immediately scheduled his wife for a simple operation to unblock the veins - a catheter was threaded up through blood vessels in the groin area, all the way up to the effected area, and then a small balloon was inflated to clear out the blockage. It's a standard and relatively risk-free operation - and the results were immediate. In the three years since the surgery, Dr. Zamboni's wife has not had an attack.

Widening out his study, Dr. Zamboni then tried the same operation on a group of 65 MS-sufferers, identifying blood drainage blockages in the brain and unblocking them - and more than 73% of the patients are completely free of the symptoms of MS, two years after the operation.

In some cases, a balloon is not enough to fully open the vein channel, which collapses either as soon as the balloon is removed, or sometime later. In these cases, a metal stent can easily be used, which remains in place holding the vein open permanently.

Dr. Zamboni's lucky find is yet to be accepted by the medical community, which is traditionally slow to accept revolutionary ideas. Still, most agree that while further study needs to be undertaken before this is looked upon as a cure for MS, the results thus far have been very positive.

Naturally, support groups for MS sufferers are buzzing with the news that a simple operation could free patients from what they have always been told would be a lifelong affliction, and further studies are being undertaken by researchers around the world hoping to confirm the link between CCSVI and MS, and open the door for the treatment to become available for sufferers worldwide.

It's certainly a very exciting find for MS sufferers, as it represents a possible complete cure, as opposed to an ongoing treatment of symptoms. We wish Dr. Zamboni and the various teams looking further into this issue the best of luck.

Via The Globe and Mail.

Update (Feb. 10,2014): A study conducted by researchers at the University of Buffalo has cast doubt the validity of this approach.

Loz Blain Loz has been one of Gizmag's most versatile contributors since 2007. Joining the team as a motorcycle specialist, he has since covered everything from medical and military technology to aeronautics, music gear and historical artefacts. Since 2010 he's branched out into photography, video and audio production, and he remains the only Gizmag contributor willing to put his name to a sex toy review. A singer by night, he's often on the road with his a cappella band Suade.   All articles by Loz Blain

A very positive development, thanks to my Italian brethren!... toot-toot!

Facebook User
26th November, 2009 @ 04:42 am PST

An amazing new, and an amazing information tool as well. Worth any web surfing time to delight you discovering top research and insights on science and technology.

Best wishes.

Gonzalo

Gonzalo Villouta Stengl
26th November, 2009 @ 05:52 am PST

God willing.

Jen Schroeder Zordan
26th November, 2009 @ 06:37 am PST

I hope this works out, but something is setting off my skeptic alarm.

For one thing, 73% of 65 people is 47.45 people. So lucky Mr. 48 was cured on his right side only?

Anyway, I look forward to more detail.

Frac
26th November, 2009 @ 07:53 am PST

You've got to wonder how many other such simple procedures there are???!!!

David Mahan
26th November, 2009 @ 08:30 am PST

What is disturbing is the fact that fellow Mser's are so desperate for a cure that they tend do avoid asking the right questions when it comes to these "miracles". What if 95% or so people with MS have this condition because it's a cause/symptom of MS, and not the cause of MS? I do not want to seem pessimistic, but I would reserve judgment for when more data is available.

Ted Nehme
26th November, 2009 @ 05:19 pm PST

This wouldn't be the first time excess iron has been implicated in disease. It's well known that too much iron is a risk factor in atheroschlerosis, which is why male-specific multivitamin supplements no longer contain iron. There's even some evidence excess iron increases the risk of cancer.

Gadgeteer
26th November, 2009 @ 09:10 pm PST

65 people plus his wife makes it 66 people.

73% makes it 48.18 people.

I think the reporter probably meant "more than 72%" and then simplified by writing in 73 instead of writing in 72.7272%

Joe's Cat
26th November, 2009 @ 11:21 pm PST

...and that's not the only new from italy; there is a young guy, Matteo Dall'Osso ( http://www.matteodallosso.org/ ), who healed himself from MS against all doctor's opinion (except Dr. Zamboni, who helped him too), just by depuring (in a special way) his body from metals (he has got a metabolic disease that avoid his body to dispose off metals at a normal rate).

So it seems that MS could be the result of metallic accumulation in the body, due to a cause (vein occlution) or another (metabolic disfunction).

The real risk about these MS treatments is that they are too economical, simple and they were not discovered by a big pharmaceutic multinational; big opposing economic interests are able to prevent the diffusion of such discovers. Help the web spread the good news.

Mario Maio
27th November, 2009 @ 04:26 am PST

please adjust my previous post with the following link to english version of Matteo Dall'Osso web site

Mario Maio
27th November, 2009 @ 04:33 am PST

J & J, - does this make sense to you?

Debby Baker
27th November, 2009 @ 08:10 am PST

As the spouse of someone with MS I can tell you that this news has overwhelmed our Thanksgiving. Of course, it came out when it is impossible to get in touch with our specialist. I am sure that she, and every other neurologist/MS doc in the country (if not the world), is going to come back from the holiday to emails and phone calls from their patients.

I too am concerned about the pharmaceutical industry's response to this. If you could see the level of coordination around establishing new clients for each drug type you'd be astounded. There really are only four mainstream medications for MS at this point. All involve injections (daily, semi-daily, weekly) although there are pill form versions in the pipeline (kind of like Duke Nukem:Forever for the MS crowd). But none of them really alleviate symptoms...they are all about reducing future attacks and the increase in symptoms.

This procedure points to a reduction of symptoms that most MS patients only see following strong IV steroid, and then only temporarily. While I don't expect this procedure to cure my spouse immediately I do expect to have our doctor(s) examine it deeply and with great urgency. If they do anything less we will find another doctor who is more willing.

As we've both said, if this were any other kind of vascular blockage there wouldn't even be a discussion. If a doctor said that the veins in your brain were blocked (and said nothing about MS) wouldn't you ask if that blockage could be cleared? It can, by a relatively simple procedure. We only want the same response. I see many visits to cardiologists in our future. And I am looking forward to it.

Nothing Knew
27th November, 2009 @ 08:28 am PST

The really really really good thing about this is it finally seems to have PROVEN what I've been saying for almost twenty years.

Believe it .. or .. not ..

Jesus Was A Vegetarian!

Facebook User
27th November, 2009 @ 09:33 am PST

Mario Maio says this is an economical treatment. Since when is brain surgery economical?

Things are not usually simple and I am glad we allow "cures" to be looked at critically before jumping on the bandwagon.

Verena
27th November, 2009 @ 10:40 am PST

What else can we do just to push the simple MRV testing? I just want to get the word out there/

Maria Christodoulou
27th November, 2009 @ 12:59 pm PST

I'm curious, could vein blockage be associated with weight gain? I gained weight recently and was then recently diagnosed with migraines and then multiple sclerosis. I know that there are plenty of people with multiple sclerosis who are not significantly overweight like I am (I'm ~250 lbs.) but I wonder if perhaps some of us wouldn't have acquired MS except for such "supplemental influences" as weight gain?

I do struggle with sleep apnea in accordance to my weight gain, too. I wonder if perhaps the same stuff that makes sleep apnea happen (blockage of airflow due to being so fat) can also result in blockage of veins (blockage of bloodflow due to being so fat).

stimpy77
27th November, 2009 @ 01:12 pm PST

Amazing! Finally someone researches this disease from a new prospective!

Brittny Macphee
27th November, 2009 @ 01:20 pm PST

Amazing == a potential cure for multiple sclerosis. Two years ago my Tucson doctor discovered that I had high iron levels and recommended giving blood in order to reduce the iron level -- no one wants my blood. Fortunately (or not) the health misadventures of 2008 resulted in blood loss and thus reduction in iron levels.

Facebook User
27th November, 2009 @ 06:47 pm PST

Verena,

This isn't brain surgery. They don't have to open up your skull or anything. It's strictly a balloon angioplasty and it's even easier because they can enter through the jugular vein close to the brain. A cardiac angioplasty with stents can cost $20-30,000, but in that procedure, they have to go in through the femoral artery in the leg and thread their way up to the heart then around to cardiac blood vessels. Also, MS drugs can cost that much in a single year, so if this actually works, it is definitely more economical.

Gadgeteer
28th November, 2009 @ 05:16 pm PST

The treatment is now undergoing further investigation - more here from the BBC: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8374980.stm

Loz
28th November, 2009 @ 09:08 pm PST

I can't help but be skeptical because there are MS treatments that do work (they don't cure but they definitely help the problem) by directly affecting the auto-immune system. I am on Copaxone, for example, and Copaxone's role is in changing the inflammatory nature of the body's antibodies. (I'm no medical scientist, I'm a new patient, so forgive me for my inaccuracies in word choice.) It sounds like this new "cure" has nothing to do with the body's autoimmune system, which makes me wonder how it is that Copaxone makes any difference at all?

stimpy77
29th November, 2009 @ 05:11 pm PST

It's not that the medical community is "slow to adopt revolutionary theories", it's that we take an oath to "do no harm", and for new theories scientifically prove to a statistical confidence that a treatment has benefits that outweigh the risks. There *are* risks to angioplasty, including infection and tragically, stroke, so this treatment needs to be proven.

As someone who sees MS patients for optic neuritis, this would indeed be a great breakthrough if the University of Buffalo study confirms with statistical significance and confidence that venous insufficiency is a causal factor for some MS patients, and angioplasty has a benefit worthy of its risk.

Standing by for the science,

Doc Rings

matthew.rings
29th November, 2009 @ 05:15 pm PST

stimpy77
29th November, 2009 @ 06:05 pm PST

this is a very cool site...amazing technology and scientific inovation

Stephanie Boulianne
29th November, 2009 @ 07:04 pm PST

Following up on my own ponderings, http://csvi-ms.net/en/content/ccsvi-huge-breakthrough-ms hypothesizes that vitamin D has a direct correlation not only on the autoimmune system but also on the vascular system's development.

stimpy77
29th November, 2009 @ 07:35 pm PST

I hope that this treatment from Italy does work out. I mean it obviously has done for some already. What I am pondering over though: Is the whole thing symptom relief or dealing with the cause? If this stricture causes MS, what causes the stricture? And although I am in favour of different (and non-toxic) approaches to solving problems I do believe that MS is an autoimmune disease and people won't get it (or an array of other autoimmune diseases) if they have a strong immune system. I (with PPMS) take LDN (low dose naltrexone) which is a safe, cheap, out of patent drug which boosts/strengthens/modulates your immune system. People have found relief with LDN (and stopping progression, attacks, tumour growth and more) for a vast number of diseases, including cancers. How come it's been there for nearly 30 years and hardly anybody knows about it? It's because there is no money in it, so it's being kept hidden from the ones who need it most, the suffering patients. Just google LDN and find out about it. I was so lucky to have discovered it and with it the over 100,000 other users. (I agree, I don't know them all personally, honestly! But many of their stories are all over the internet!) It's fantastic and what it does is logical, it makes the body heal itself. Silvia

Silvia Lane
30th November, 2009 @ 04:52 am PST

I am an M.S patient for 18 years. And an M.S researches for 10 years. I am electronic engineer and a university teacher. If you look in Google for Dr. Fernandez Noda and the syndrome Cerebellar Thoracic Outlet Syndrome (CTOS) you will find again a strong relation between blood flow in the brain and M.S symptoms. Fernandez Noda looks for global blood flow from the brain. The veins coming from the brain to the heart enter the atlas vertebra and cross to the C6 and C7 vertebra where the veins go out the vertebrae in their way to the heart. In the outgoing they can be squashed by the sternocleido-mastoideos muscles. Dr. Noda makes a simply operation to liberate that pressure and some M.S patient get better.

I am convinced we can find a solution. I do not have so clear that we can make the solution to go on because the opposition from pharmaceuticals will be uninimaginable.

They are earnig bigs amounts of money whith not-a-solution-at-all. And what they do not want at all is loosing theier clients! We are clients, very goog clients, for them -not patients-. I have a web page http://webs.uvigo.es/xuliofh/entrega2/pagPpalEM.html with some information about M.S. (in spanish :-( )

Xulio Fernández Hermida
30th November, 2009 @ 08:16 am PST

I read many of the comments. two maybe 3 with MS, newly diagnosed, a couple of doctore, then arm chair mathematicians.

As I have had MS for 14 years, take injections every other day, for 14 years at now, at cost of 2400.00/month for one med. Most of you can go ________. I am in luck though, with exercise, diet, family and attitude, I am completely mobile. I can not say it is due to the fact of betaseron, it only slows the progression, I wouldn't know, I've never been off off the stuff. I do know the shots hurt, that's where the attitude goes bad.

If you are not part of the problem, stay away from a possible solution. Show me your creditentials to give your opinions, not just cutting an article to shreds. Go bore people who care.

L Tate

Ltate
30th November, 2009 @ 10:19 am PST

Interesting

Didier Noel James
30th November, 2009 @ 10:20 am PST

Actually, I have a hypothesis of MS which suggests simpler treatment that might be less invasive. Human pheromones cause MS. In which case about 150 to 250 mg of healthy adult male facial skin surface lipid p.o. (the face kissing pheromone from your dad), should halt symptom advances. Epigenetic (low-dose chemo) therapy in concert with pheromone treatment while watching sad movies, should fix it for sure. Take 3 5 packs of regular gum, sugarfree, wipe 5 pieces per day on dad's face, both sides (of his face and of the gum), until you have got 15 to 25 pieces. Now chew the gum. (Of course, make sure Dad's healthy.)

So how does the Italian surgery work? Do his patients kiss his face a lot? The blood has chemosensitive proteins in it that alter conformation on contact. The angeoplasty might be affecting that somehow. Perhaps this surgery will cure MS like knee replacement cures arthritis? Hope so.

TogetherinParis
30th November, 2009 @ 09:51 pm PST

Trolling on a post about a potential treatment for a debilitating disease? Especially one that has been peer-reviewed and is currently being tested by independent groups? Wow.

I bet you go to abuse support groups and tell them to "get over it" or drop in at cancer wards and suggest they "think happy thoughts". You are a beautiful person. See, I can use sarcasm too.

Nothing Knew
1st December, 2009 @ 07:49 am PST

Zamboni is partially right, some symptoms are, without a doubt, caused by a vascular blockage in the neck region. He just forgets to figure out, what might be the cause to the blockage.

In my case the blockage was caused by spasticity of the neck muscles.

The spasticity in it's term was caused by porphyrines, released from skeletal muscle cells breaking down.

Cell breakage was caused by chemical imbalance inside the cells.

The chemical imbalance was caused by excess activity of exicatory neurotransmitters, which regulate those pumps.

Excess activity of exicatory neurotransmitters was caused by daily caffeine consumption.

I suffered from ms-symptoms for 20 years. The symptoms were many times so sevbere, that I was unable to get out of bed without help, and with help it took an hour or so, and I was soaking wet of sweat, and crying. In the last phase, I was able to walk short distances very slowly with a walking stick.

I stopped my caffeine habit feb 2008, now I'm totally free from alla symptoms. I am also on alcalic diet and take supplements, E-Epa, carnosine etc..

So, my ms was caused by a chronic poisoning, brought upon me by my drug dependence. I lost more than 20 years of my life in a hell on earth, I'm almost totally recovered now, feel like I was 20, but I'm 55, and the party's pretty soon over for me.

Facebook User
2nd December, 2009 @ 01:56 am PST

This is exciting news to hear, thank you Aaron for sending me the artical.

Sally Suzanne
3rd December, 2009 @ 04:06 am PST

Amazing News. Just an idea but if its caused by blocked veins perhaps nattokinase suplements could help?????

silverneedle
4th December, 2009 @ 03:01 pm PST

Ok so if this is correct then I have something to throw into the pot. As a teenager I had problems with Iron Deficiency on my blood, so I was fed Iron supplements for many years. What I wonder is, how many people with MS were fed the same Iron supplements. I don't even want to start thinking there's a cure at this time, I'm tired of let downs. I've read a lot in the past few years about things that can cure MS and at every tunr it falls through.

To the doc above, it may well be that you took an oath to 'not harm' anyone. As an MS sufferer I really don't care, if there is anything out there that has any potential to help me than I want to try it. If it kills me then so be it, after all, it's just down to how long I want my death sentence to be.

This 'cure' has a couple of things that jump to my mind that should really be added to the mix. For me I already said about the iron given to me when I was young, but also I have an additional complaint called Factor 5 Leiden deficiency wich makes the blood clot more than in a normal person. This has given me many vascular problems, including a severe DVT last year for which I am still suffering. I am taking Warfirin for an undetermined length of time to keep my co agulation down.

So to sum up, this 'cure' talks about Iron (check) and vascular problems (check). I'm scared to say it but this seems to have a lot of bells ringing for me and what I want to know is, when the hell are the medical profession going to add this up and let people like me try it.

Has a survey been done to see how many MS sufferers have had Iron supplements given as a child? Or would the medical profession who 'do no harm' be scared to to that and find out that the very supplement we were given could have contributed to this. I don't care what caused it, I just want out.

My mum had that balloon thing done through her groin for hardening of the arteries and she's absolutely fine.

April Prior
7th December, 2009 @ 05:01 am PST

I have been following this with extreme interest. The article above is good but very brief and there is so much more to it... so if you want more of the story please visit this site and watch the video:

I also recommend watching all the interview videos to the right of the page for more details. This all becomes more clear and sooooo exciting. It is being taken seriously for sure.

Pam1234
7th December, 2009 @ 02:18 pm PST

This really does sound promising, and while it is important to err on the side of caution with new treatments, this could be a step in the right direction.

Hal London
8th December, 2009 @ 08:20 am PST

Sadly enough I've passed the stage of Relapsing Remitting....-do you guys think

Secundary Progressive patients have any hope or anything to look forward to??

Facebook User
8th December, 2009 @ 12:18 pm PST

Hope!

Atticus Finch
26th December, 2009 @ 01:55 pm PST

For the person who wondered about how the higer altitudes make a difference - the air pressure can effect the blood vessels in the brain and in your whole body - pressure or lack of - can cause blood flow changes - so, that may help explain - especially when going from low to high and back.

Laura Ashley Wheeler-Realtor
29th December, 2009 @ 07:17 pm PST

THAT is easy.

The altitude causes higher blood cell production and therefore the viscosity of the blood becomes thicker.

The blood doesn't flow.

Much like the blood flow from the brain when the veins become stricted.

Facebook User
3rd January, 2010 @ 12:05 am PST

This is very interesting, is there any operations done in the U.S. My girlfriend's Mother has MS. Where can i find more info on this?

Thanks

Kyle J Ericson
3rd January, 2010 @ 01:30 pm PST

i have a few questions i need answerd.

for my self i have had thrombosise since i was 17 also low in iron plus i have other medical problems.But we have now learnt that my daughter has m.s we no there is not a lot known about m.s they say it is not passed on my daughter was born with a heart murmer and wene she went on to cows milk as a toddler i would put pentervite into her milk for her supplements she was poorly as a toddler always had a cold and soar ears and throate.could some one please let me no if i did something wrong and this is why she has it.

Caroline Sare
3rd January, 2010 @ 03:25 pm PST

Here is the info for US:

"Letter from Dr Michael Dake

Thank you for your inquiry regarding our work on blockages of the veins of the head and neck associated with multiple sclerosis. I wish I could talk personally with each person to explain our ongoing work, but in order to provide a prompt reply to all, I must respond by email. Currently, we are planning a clinical study to rigorously assess the risks and benefits of balloon angioplasty with or without venous stenting in the setting of multiple sclerosis. This controlled format for study will allow all patients to receive endovascular therapy if desired, but will provide a better evaluation of the risks, benefits and indications for different approaches to treating the vein blockages associated with multiple sclerosis.

Please be assured that we will keep your contact information on file and provide periodic updates of our progress until such time as the trial commences . At that point, we hope to be able to speak with you regarding your interest to participate in this clinical study. We anticipate embarking on the study early in 2010. I wish to extend my appreciation to you for your understanding and forbearance as we proceed with deliberate speed in our attempts to develop a multi-disciplinary, collaborative controlled study that will truly advance our understanding of the science underlying the association between venous disease and multiple sclerosis.

I hope to have the opportunity to speak with you in the future.

Sincerely,

MICHAEL D. DAKE, M.D.

Professor, Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery

Stanford University School of Medicine

Falk Cardiovascular Research Center

300 Pasteur Drive

Stanford, CA 94305-5407"

One of my patients is considering that option. When and if he does, I will be able to ascertain the efficacy of the method myself.

Dr. Dimitri Rimsky

Neu-Wellness Institute

Dr. Rimsky
4th January, 2010 @ 04:59 pm PST

I was just diagnosed and find this fascinating. When I had a physical 8 years ago, my doc told me to stop taking a multi-vitamin with iron because my levels were at the highest end of safe. Interesting.

Laurie Erdman
5th January, 2010 @ 09:11 am PST

Hmmm... I wonder if there is any corelation of patients with MS and those with Haemochromatosis (an excess of iron in the blood) (or if this hypothesis holds water, If not, why not ?)

Bryn Parrott
8th January, 2010 @ 11:31 pm PST

Does this new theory hold water if the ms sufferer had actually spent there life being iron deficient, and not taking iron supplements. I have been iron deficient my whole life but, apart from a two month period during a pregnancy where I had iron injections, I have not take iron supplements. Could a blockage in the veins still lead to a damaging build up of iron in the brain, in these circumstances?

Tara Slater
12th February, 2010 @ 02:53 am PST

hi, i am a patient from dubai (u.a.e) with advanced level of M.S, right now am taking 3 injections of rebif 44 every week for almost 7 years. Hereby i request you to please provide me your full address to enable me to contact you for your medical invitation to come to you for the treatment

your earliest reply is highly appreciated

best regards

hussain mustafa. my contact number as below

mobile no-00971506467089

office no-0097142255422 fax no-0097142254515

hussain
12th February, 2010 @ 12:33 pm PST

In http://ajdem.mforos.com/1138091/8283791-la-dieta-del-dr-swank-en-el-tratamiento-de-la-esclerosis-multiple/ it can be read "Otra de las novedades en el tratamiento de la Esclerosis Múltiple es el uso de los campos electromagnéticos. Aquí es muy importante aclarar que los campos electromagnéticos que se utilizan, en este caso, son a una intensidad de picotesla, con frecuencias extremadamente bajas y detenidamente controladas. Estas aplicaciones son extracraneales y se dan durante 20 minutos, una vez a la semana.

Hasta hoy, todos los pacientes con Esclerosis Múltiple que han sido tratados con esta clase particular de campos electromagnéticos, han mejorado en forma inmediata y dramática. Su mejoría no sólo fue subjetiva, sino totalmente objetiva."

It talks abaut treating M.E. patients with electromagnetig fields applied in the head and the good resoults obtained with it. And I think that this resoult can be related with the one of Dr. Paolo Zamboni in this paper. The electromagnetic fields what sure do is shaking the iron particles in the blood making this way more easy for them to move along the veins (like removing dirty water in order all the particles go out with the water).

I am electronic engineer and I consider it will be interesting that Dr. Zamboni consider this point!

xuliofh
16th February, 2010 @ 01:43 am PST

Skepticism is definitely in order! There are way too few details in this article to know whether this is a promising treatment. It could in fact be harmful.

The study doesn't seem to include any comparison groups, and without a comparison standard, it's impossible to draw conclusions from any study.

Specifically, they didn't screen for venous blockage in a group without MS to see if the blockage is unusually common in MS patients or just common across the board (from other studies, we know that venous blockage is a common condition, so you really need a comparison group to see if it's MORE common in MS patients).

AND in assessing the treatment, they didn't have an untreated control group to see how the treated patients' experience compares with the natural history of MS. Having hope and a sense that something is being done can have a powerful impact on the course of disease and could explain the 2-year remissions experienced by many of the patients. You need a control group to see if that's what's happening. I teach public health students how to be careful readers of the medical literature, and my students would tear this article to bits.

I've had MS for decades, and I'd love to think that this is a real breakthrough in MS treatment, but with the amount of info provided here, I'm deeply skeptical. I'm afraid that this is more wishful thinking than real progress -- and could be dangerous if people adopt this unproven approach and abandon treatments that have been proven to be effective.

Mary Applegate
18th February, 2010 @ 11:08 pm PST

"CCSVI" is junk science.

Colin Rose
20th February, 2010 @ 03:12 pm PST

I am 36 yrs old and was diagnosed with MS two years ago. I have also been diagnosed with two of the genes that cause Haemochromatosis. Co- incidence? Either way its very interesting.

Facebook User
21st February, 2010 @ 01:40 am PST

An intresting article, I am 26 and was diagonised with MS 3 years before. I am thinking of getting a councelling with yoga gurus to automatically unblock these vessels thru yoga excercise, If I get any improvement, I will definetly inform you guys.

Facebook User
27th February, 2010 @ 07:36 am PST

Ridiculous these posts about pharmaceutical companies blocking this. Just when have they ever blocked a proven treatment and how would they do that? You listen to too many demagogues and snake oil salesmen. You're probably hysterical about Toyotas, too, because you cannot do the math.

Ronald Warrick
11th March, 2010 @ 02:38 pm PST

Wow that actually makes sense dude.

Lou

www.whos-watching.es.tc

Facebook User
11th April, 2010 @ 11:17 am PDT

"Also food for skepticism, why does MS statistically show up more in high-altitude regions? Some assumed that certain viruses might be more likely to thrive in high-altitude areas, and my own assumption was that high altitudes, or particularly high latitudes, have less sunlight, hence less vitamin D, hence D deficiency, which leads to autoimmune disorders.

So if indeed MS has a one-to-one relationship to the narrowing of the veins, how can high altitudes & high latitudes have any relationship to that? Theories?"

Perhaps it is due to changes (evolutionary or short-term) that would occur in either groups of people or individuals when they inhabit higher altitudes. High altitudes tend to be mountainous and cold, so I can see there being some benefit to the people there developing smaller blood vessels to better retain heat. If this were true, you would expect a correlation between MS and people who live in, AND who have ancestry in high altitude places.

Also, do you know if our blood vessels constrict to keep in heat when it's cold? If so, that could also work as a functional explanation that would explain the increased rate of MS in both people who currently reside in high-altitude areas, as well as those who have a heritage of living there.

Angus James Willis
11th April, 2010 @ 01:11 pm PDT

Very interesting news. Hope is so important.

Some comments.

Most medicine is "junk science". Look no further than the Cholesterol hysteria.

MS is not more frequent at high altitudes. It's more frequent at high latitudes. Northern coun tries like Canada have many more MS patients than southern ones like mexico.

The vitamin d hypothesis is a good one. Taking 3-4 000 iu of Vit D a day can't hurt. Getting as musch sun as you can get may be helpful too.

Richard Albert
12th April, 2010 @ 11:47 am PDT

I have recently come across your article about MS saying that it may not be auto-immune after all. I think that is wonderful news, as I have been diagnosed with MS myself about 3 yrs. ago. Currently, I am not taking any meds for it; everyone in my family thinks I should be.....I keep telling them I am going to take this MS and kick it into outer space somewhere, where it can NO LONGER hurt anyone. I would GREATLY APPRECIATE hearing back from you.

e-mail me back and we could exchange phone numbers...I live in the USA, and would love having the procedure performed... however I do not know what you charge for such.

Facebook User
19th April, 2010 @ 06:47 pm PDT

I really hope that this may lead to something,i'm going to talk about it with my neurologist, i'm wondering what he will say.

Inge Vanhoorne
28th April, 2010 @ 10:02 am PDT

This is a whole new approach for treating the patients with Multiple Sclerosis. In recent days it has become a new hope for millions of Multiple Sclerosis patients across the world. Dr. Paolo Zamboni, a former vascular surgeon and professor at the University of Ferrara in northern Italy developed this procedure while he was trying to understand the underlying causes for the condition which his wife was into, a Multiple Sclerosis patient.

Doctors and hospitals across the world are developing necessary infrastructure and the expertise required to perform this procedure with good outcomes.

In India few of the doctors at Internationally Accredited Hospitals have already started performing this procedure with excellent outcomes as per international standards. These doctors have developed a multidisciplinary approach involving Neurologists, Neuro-Surgeons, Cardiologists, Cardio-Thoracic Surgeons and Interventional Radiologists. The doctors are abreast of latest developments in this field and continuously in touch with the inventors of this procedure. They are continuously monitoring the procedure outcomes of their patients over a period of time.

Why should you choose India?

In India this procedure is done with excellent outcomes by expert team of doctors at Internationally Accredited Hospital at a cost which is much lower than it would cost you in USA, UK or Europe. Indian Hospitals provide you high quality service and compassionate care and has a world class infrastructure. India is well connected with the world by International flights.

How can you get started?

The first step is to determine whether a patient is a good candidate for this medical procedure or not?

All you need to do is to send the following information to us.

1) MRI of the Cervical (neck region )

2) Doppler Ultrasound of the neck

3) A general medical status and history

We will show these information to our expert doctors and get a opinion from them to you, totally free of cost.

Do not worry if you do not have the above mentioned medical information readily available with you. We have specially designed evaluation package for this procedure. The evaluation can be done here in India on outpatient basis at much lower cost. Based on the findings of the evaluation further line of action can be taken.

Just write to us at help@safemedtrip.com for more information and help.

The Procedure

It all started with the Dr. Paolo Zamboni’s search to find out the root cause of debilitating condition of his wife who was suffering with Multiple Sclerosis. After studying many patients suffering from the same condition, he found that that almost all of them had a narrowing, twisting or outright blockage of the veins that are supposed to flush blood from the brain.

Further Dr. Paolo Zamboni found that whichever patient had this condition, had a high level of deposition of Iron in the veins. Lack of free flow of the blood to the brain possibly explaining the symptoms of MS. Now the idea was to open up such blocks and allow the free flow of blood through veins to brain. This is the reason why this procedure is called as Liberation Procedure. This is done in the similar way as it is done in Coronary Balloon procedure. The patient may have single blockage or multiple blockages. Accordingly the treatment is decided.

safemedtrip.com
6th May, 2010 @ 12:04 am PDT

Can anybody relate either medically or scientifically the Lhermitte's Sign to Dr. Paolo Zamboni's findings, and or this other sign or symptom that occurs in many MS sufferers that a hot shower causes tingling, buzzing, and or shooting pain down the back and to the extremities. My sibling was DX over 20 years ago and I am a 42 yr old male experiencing the above signs but being treated by a Chiropractor for a lower disk injury. I am scheduled for an MRI that will hopefully prove the disk injury and not show MS. After reading this article and thread on Dr. Paolo Zamboni's research and his results I thought this could be a good topic of investigation. Thank you.

Rexington
29th June, 2010 @ 09:16 am PDT

Doctor Zamboni's cure sounds good. and 8out of 10 great also but what about the others?I hear his cure has made it all the way to canada. gotta say I'm tempred to make the drive because I just got out of the hospital due to my illness.makes you think

James Allen Drake
8th August, 2010 @ 09:25 pm PDT

Just proves a theory I've had for a long time, the medical industry has no incentive to cure anything as long as limitless research money flows and expensive drugs to develope. One indistinquished doctor finds a method to help over 70% of MS patients on his own but an entire infrastructure of "specialists" funded with hundreds of millions of dollars a year "toil" for decades and can't figure out what one doctor with only a desire to help his wife did, really?

Michael Gene
27th December, 2010 @ 11:20 am PST

I wish there was a way I could get in touch with Dr. Zamboni. His work sounds promising and I can think of a way to INCREASE his response rate. If part of the answer is a build up of iron with blockage of vessels, then an agent to lower the iron in the blood would be most beneficial. I use such an agent when I perform chelation for iron toxicity. It is called desferrioxamine. If he did the operation AND chelated the patients with desferrioxamine during and after the operative procedure, he might improve the positive response rate even more!

Marvin Reich
28th December, 2010 @ 11:07 am PST

To Sylvia about LDN:

LDN has not had controlled studies for some things that there is some evidence that it has benefits...like a number of Cancers. But I believe there have been some small controlled studies for autoimmune diseases like Chrohns and MS that show its benefits. It is low cost in the liquid form and apparently not harmful. It is legal to prescribe it for off-label uses. In higher doses, it prevents drug addicts from getting a high.

I am taking LDN for a form of Cancer. While I cannot detect any harm, I am taking it with enough other things that I cannot tell if is helping either...though my overall protocol does seem to be working.

tsvieps
30th December, 2010 @ 12:55 am PST

There is only one cure for MS, but CCSVI treatment is not it. I did it and it cured me. . . .

George Goss
14th February, 2011 @ 07:47 pm PST

During a telecon I heard Dr. Garry Gordon (http://www.gordonresearch.com) say that treating MS has become "boring" because it is so easy to cure. I think he may be using a chelation technique to rid the body of toxic metals. He is very prolific, and has been called one of the "most brilliant medical minds of our time".

gizmoguy
5th May, 2011 @ 03:16 pm PDT

This makes me realize why smoking could make MS worse, nicotine is a vasoconstrictor, and constricting those veins that are already blocked by iron would (theoretically) be the reason for this to affect patients with MS. When I spoke with my doctor she said it was "unclear" as to why smoking affects MS, but this gives me reason to believe Zamboni's theory is correct. Hope this cure is verified soon, this gives me real hope.

Ethan Remillard
27th June, 2011 @ 06:49 pm PDT

Any procedure which returns function has value. If I spoke better Italian I would suggest have the patients add organic sulfur to reduce the scar tissue which caused the other 20% to be less successful. If sulfur can replace morphine pumps it works great for Ortho patients.

Director

Cellular Matrix Study

Body Human Project est. 1999

Patrick McGean
2nd August, 2011 @ 07:07 pm PDT

So interesting...

Lynn Harrison
22nd August, 2011 @ 01:43 pm PDT

APPROX 20,000 worldwide have had this procedure with positive results . UK is way behind as of many other countrys its not a cure its a much netter quality of life

Lynnie Heal
24th August, 2011 @ 04:45 pm PDT

My son's symptoms were over a three-month period. It started in his back. On and off for two months, my son had pains and aches across the middle of his back. We saw my aunt who is a chiropractor and then my son's doctor. Both said he was very tight across his back and suggested physical therapy. It didn't help. That subsided and then his pinky finger went numb for a few days...again, that subsided. A month later, I noticed he was walking funny...that also subsided. The back pain came again, but this time my son called it a "buzzy" feeling...but it subsided. Somewhere in the middle of all this, he experienced balance issues, only once though. We knew something wasn't right. Right before our doctor's appointment we noticed his left side was a little weak. His doctor confirmed that he was definitely having issues with balance and reflexes. He referred us to a neurologist. That same night, we had his first spinal MRI and then a day later the brain MRI. Both tests confirmed MS. Turns out he has many lesions in his spine that were causing the back issues. I hope this helps someone. We haven't met any MS patients that actually started with the back pain.

Lindsay Lohann

Findrxonline.com/blog

Lindsay Lohann
19th September, 2011 @ 07:26 am PDT

Regardless of what cure is discovered it still needs to be rigorously tested and evaluated so as not to give false hope to vulnerable people.

Stephen Connell
27th October, 2011 @ 12:30 am PDT

I think that he is on to something here. After reading this article I did a search for MS on another reputable web site, ScienceDaily. I was surprised to find another technique to get very similar results to the increased blood flow found here. I have a close relative who has been diagnosed with MS. No jokes please. The treatment is Viagra. They both promote blood flow. Read it here:

Don Judson

donjcomm
27th December, 2011 @ 02:04 pm PST

Just read this article and WOW! Will be interesting to know if this idea has now progressed given that the article is now over 2 years old when I'm reading it. I've also read most of the comments, and surely those of you rejecting the idea on the grounds that the operation is a blood vessel one and the condition is a nervouse/immune system one are missing the point?

Surely Dr Zamboni's theory and point are not that MS is caused by high iron levels, nor by blood vessels being blocked, but by the damage that is done by the immune system's antibodies when blood containing them leaks from burst blood vessels into the brain. The constrictions and blocked blood vessels are the causal factor as they cause the leaks to happen which then allows the antibodies to do the damage.

By unblocking the veins he allows the blood flow in them to resume and presumably the leak into the brain then reduces or stops because the path of least resistance for the blood is to once again move along the blood vessel and back to the heart rather than to squeeze out of hole in the wall of the blood vessel. Possibly the blood vessel even then repairs itself.

The fact that MS patients' symptoms can be (temporarily at least) alleviated by drugs that suppress the immune system surely lends support to the doctors theory; if the activity of antibodies in the body is temporarily suppressed by this drug then presumably the antibodies that leak into the brain during this period are also suppressed, and therefore so is the damage or interference caused by them, and therefore the patient's symptoms disappear or reduce for a while before returning.

So it could be that iron itself has no relevane to the disease; perhaps the blood vessels dedicated to removing iron from the brain are simply more susceptible to blockage or constriction for some reason. Are they narrower? However the increased iron level that results after a blockage is really useful because it can then be used as a key indicator that some of those blood vessels are blocked and require unblocking.

Some readers are sceptical because it does not cure 100% of patients - but this could be because blood (and therefore the antibodies it contains) is still leaking into the brain somewhere else which hasn't been detected. There's no reason to suppose that only these particular veins can become blocked and burst, surely others could too.

Whether readers believe his theory is right or wrong you have to agree that 73 percent is an extremely high success rate for total cessation of all symptoms, which suggests that even if he hasn't yet worked out the exact details of why MS occurs, he is very nearly there. If this was hide and seek I'd be saying "hot, very hot!". The potential for this disease to be put behind humanity once and for all surely calls for immediate application of the brightest minds in science to help the doctor finish this important work and start applying the results.

Fascinated
19th January, 2012 @ 07:27 pm PST

my son and I want to have this done, how do we go about it?

Barb Mckenney
10th February, 2012 @ 04:37 pm PST

To Stimpy77, high altitudes also mean less oxygen. A body uses iron to deliver oxygen to cells, and that is why high altitudes equate to higher levels of blood Iron. If Zamboni is correct, all that iron gets trapped in the brain, causing MS.

Jenny Galan Vithoulkas
19th March, 2012 @ 09:17 am PDT

I'd love to know the progress of Dr Zamboni's wife and his other patients. Also his address/contact info, although I can probably Google that. You know, This article was post 11/2009 you'd think by now people would be able to take advantage of this simple reversal of MS. Seems to me that the medical community moves too slowly on things... Perhaps it's the insurance companies that are dragging their feet on this new revolutionary technique which is too experimental, when in reality it's a well tested treatment for many ailments. then again it could be the pharmaceutical industry that is blocking a treatment that doesn't involve a steady line of MS customers to their drugs because although I haven't check to see how many companies and their drugs would be effected by a change in treatment, I'm sure they don't want to lose their cash cows to a simple fix that would take away life long MS victims from buying their drugs to stay alive. They'd rather see them live as long as they can being stuck using their expensive drugs and dying rather than curing them.

Sherry Friedrichs
4th April, 2012 @ 06:07 am PDT

This new treatment has changed lives of MS patients. It is not a cure for MS, but they are getting relief from their symptoms, which is giving them their life back. After Dr.Zamboni's study, many clinics in the US are offering this treatment, but not many of them are following a certain standard protocol. There are few clinics that are participating in a clinical trial and are approved by the NIH and IRB. From what I know and have heard, there is a clinic in Dayton, OH that fulfills all these requirements. They have had great success rates and I have viewed their videos also. It is a great place to look into for anyone interested in being treated.

Barb McKenny: you can look into this place for further information. I am attaching a link to their website. I hope this helps!

pp2891
8th May, 2012 @ 12:17 pm PDT

Check out mercury fillings as well, maybe there's a link there. I know two people who had MS, married to dentists. Something in there, perhaps mercury carried back in the clothing?

Sandy Hewlett
2nd July, 2012 @ 11:14 pm PDT

To Barb or whoever else is looking:

Search for Liberation Treatment / CCSVI Treatment. There are some surgeons in California that perform this prcoedure (same as Zamboni). I believe one is in San Diego and my friend's wife just had this done today somewhere near New Port Beach. She said she already felt a difference after the procedure and could move her foot more than before. She had blockages in her arteries, which seems to be a commonality between MS sufferers. Hopefully this will get her back up and walking.

J77
11th July, 2012 @ 09:14 pm PDT

Chronic cerebrospinal venous insufficiency (CCSVI), or the pathological restriction of venous vessel discharge from the CNS has been proposed by Zamboni, et al, as having a correlative relationship to Multiple Sclerosis. From a clinical perspective, it has been demonstrated that the narrowed jugular veins in an MS patient, once widened, do affect the presenting symptoms of MS and the overall health of the patient. It has also been noted that these same veins once treated, restenose after a time in the majority of cases. Why the veins restenose is speculative. One insight, developed through practical observation, suggests that there are gaps in the therapy protocol as it is currently practiced. In general, CCSVI therapy has focused on directly treating the venous system and the stenosed veins. Several other factors that would naturally affect vein recovery have received much less consideration. As to treatment for CCSVI, it should be noted that no meaningful aftercare protocol based on evidence has been considered by the main proponents of the ‘liberation’ therapy (neck venoplasty). In fact, in all of the clinics or hospitals examined for this study, patients weren’t required to stay in the clinical setting any longer than a few hours post-procedure in most cases. Even though it has been observed to be therapeutically useful by some of the main early practitioners of the ‘liberation’ therapy, follow-up, supportive care for recovering patients post-operatively has not seriously been considered to be part of the treatment protocol. To date, follow-up care has primarily centered on when vein re-imaging should be done post-venoplasty. The fact is, by that time, most patients have restenosed (or partially restenosed) and the follow-up Doppler testing is simply detecting restenosis and retrograde flow in veins that are very much deteriorated due to scarring left by the initial procedure. This article discusses a variable approach as to a combination of safe and effective interventional therapies that have been observed to result in enduring venous drainage of the CNS to offset the destructive effects of inflammation and neurodegeneration, and to regenerate disease damaged tissue.

As stated, it has been observed that a number of presenting symptoms of MS almost completely vanish as soon as the jugulars are widened and the flows equalize in most MS patients. Where a small number of MS patients have received no immediate benefit from the ‘liberation’ procedure, flows in subject samples have been shown not to have equalized post-procedure in these patients and therefore even a very small retrograde blood flow back to the CNS can offset the therapeutic benefits. Furthermore once the obstructed veins are further examined for hemodynamic obstruction and widened at the point of occlusion in those patients to allow full drainage, the presenting symptoms of MS retreat. This noted observation along with the large number of MS patients who have CCSVI establish a clear association of vein disease with MS, although it is clearly not the disease ‘trigger’.For more information please visit http://www.ccsviclinic.ca/?p=978

Leo Voisey
27th July, 2012 @ 02:38 am PDT

Also read "Conquering MS by Y Hanah" which basically proposes that a lot of MS is caused by what we eat and our overall lifestyle. She gives some pretty good evidence about how WHAT we put into our bodies can act at a cellular level and cause multiple scaring (in other words MS). She advocates binging our body water back to a neutral level and then rebuilding by reintroducing the right kind of carbs and proteins to heal our body. I was sceptical but took a deep breath and stopped my MS meds and am, feeling great. Many symptoms gone and intend to keep up. Worth a read and a try I feel. Finding a cure for MS is not in pharmaceutical companies interests. They like finding drugs that treat and block symptoms as it means lots of £/$.

Elaine Stroud
16th August, 2012 @ 11:26 am PDT

Stimpy 77, I read your 2 posts of skepticism, but as i see it, the same points you mentioned are points in favour:

Point 1: Why do immuno supressants seem to work if this is an iron problem?

If you read the article again it states "As the vessels rupture, they allow both the iron itself, and immune cells from the bloodstream, to cross the blood-brain barrier into the cerebro-spinal fluid"... so it's the immune system doing the damage after the iron allows it into the cerebro-spinal fluid. Immuno suppressants would still work as they would also be allowed through the blood brain barrier due to the damage caused by the iron where they can stop the mylar sheething being damaged.

Point 2: Why are people of high altitudes more likely to have MS?

It is well knows that when people are exposed to thin air, the body responds by producing more red blood cells which contain hemoglobin.. what's the active ingredient in hemoglobin... iron. So if you are at high altitudes, you have more iron in your system... again, this fits with the discovery.

Simon Sammut
28th August, 2012 @ 09:37 pm PDT

While some MS patients who have had the liberation therapy are reporting long-term benefits from having the procedure, there are just as many for whom the ‘liberation therapy’ has failed as an effective therapeutic intervention. This doesn’t mean that these patients didn’t have some immediate benefits once the neck veins were opened; most did, but over time the veins restenosed again and their MS symptoms returned. In fact, having seen their MS symptoms almost totally disappear however briefly once their veins were cleared, patients who have restenosed want it done over again, as many times as necessary in some cases. However, there is now a new and growing subset of MS patients who have had vein widening venoplasty multiple times, usually to less beneficial effect each time, leading to the later discovery of so much intraluminal scar tissue by the second, third, or fourth attempt at re-opening the veins that the procedure cannot be performed again.For more information on the combination therapy protocol and study email to apply@ccsviclinic.ca or call 888-468-1554. http://www.ccsviclinic.ca/?p=1071

James Bostrom
16th September, 2012 @ 11:17 pm PDT

my aunty has ms and i look at her like a mum she has looked at this treatment but the doctors said that they cant do it because her vessels arnt blocked or something like that all i know is that they cant find anything to get rid of it and it is very progressive, there has to be something more out there to help her she has a baby boy i would hate to see him with out his mummy. Please if anyone else knows a way to save her please tell me i will do anything to save her life

Jasmine Walker
13th October, 2012 @ 02:11 am PDT

Ok so why do I have a history of iron deficiency and MS?

Bethany Lamont
5th November, 2012 @ 01:56 am PST

@ Mary Applegate

You are so skeptical that you don't consider that you are factually wrong.

First, it's not a study. Therefore, you can't find fault for not having a control group. He did not set out to do a study. You have made a false assumption that he set out to do a study. Looks like you need teaching, teacher. He simply set out to cure people, which he has *apparently* done.

Second, you cannot deny that the empirical evidence is strong enough to warrant the sort of study you would like to do.

Third, to say that your students would "tear this to shreds" is out of line, as all it shows is that you want to lash out at someone. Someone that has discovered a promising solution.

Fourth, your conclusion is completely illogical. Remember that lack of scientific proof does not prove a failure. I challenge you to prove, for example, that your father was the same person at 20 as he was as a kid. Everything about him that is scientific and measurable changed from a kid to an adult. In fact, all the hard evidence points to the fact that that kid is no longer the adult. (Remember, there was no DNA testing and retina scan when he was a kid.) So, since you can't prove that he is the same person as the kid, will you ASSUME that he is not the same person? Of course you can't assume that.

But this is what you are doing when you reject the apparent success of this procedure by saying: "I'm afraid that this is more wishful thinking than real progress -- and could be dangerous if people adopt this unproven approach" No, it is not unproven. It is yet to be proven or unproven.

In fact, you can only criticize his approach if *you* get a control group and show that it *doesn't* work. Till then, you cannot draw ANY conclusions. Got it?

sidmehta
14th December, 2012 @ 07:37 am PST

Ok as far as I can tell most women were prescribed iron as part of their diets during pregnancy, and lots of men for other ailments. Most

Multivitamins have iron added.

As far as the one patient who remained paralyzed on one side after the treatment means the attack was severe on that part of the myelin the white blood cells were able to destroy the actual nerve path, in which case the process of unclogging the drain was just the added prevention for future events. Many people suffer permanent nerve damage from accidents and NEVER recover the use of limbs or worse. So the process for the most part is designed to prevent future events, with the hope that their bodies can repair the damage.

I researched and found this article 4 years ago, and at that time everyone involved was not giving this any hope. Now after 4 additional years the tide is changing. If they can identify the trigger then perhaps lots of people will enjoy a new life.

Guitar Picker
28th March, 2013 @ 11:16 am PDT

I can't believe the number of people here that keep saying that if this is about iron and blood then why does the immune treatments work? He very clearly states that the persons viens get blocked letting blood into the brain and with it immune cells. These cells then go on to attack the nerves. Blocking the immune system blocks these attacks. Fixing the veins stops the attack in the first place. Vitamin D helps to keep the veins healthy. High altitudes changes blood to compensate for the lack of oxygen at high altitudes.

Coffee, coke, tea all have caffeine of one sort or another. This is a stimulant and that combined with modern living, high meat eating rates and lots of sugar and no nature or exercise leads to high stress. This mostly results in clenched teeth, raised shoulders, tight necks and over all stress problems. I am sure this could affect blood flow to the head too.

73% cure rate GREAT. Why do the others not get cured? Lots of possible reasons. They don't have the same MS causes, perhaps another problem with the same symptoms or perhaps they did not free all the veins or maybe these people have smaller veins that are blocked? Or it could be lots of other possible reasons.

For those looking for other cures, I would suggest that if this man is correct that you start looking at diet. Start by looking at what is causing strokes and heart attacks. I would not be surprise to find that MS has similar sources. It could also be a genetic factor for these iron or vein problems or perhaps a tendency to attack iron more strongly by the immune system of these unlucky people.

Interesting fact. In Germany the medical students do not have any classes about diet. In the USA at my friend's university (U.W.) they had the best program in the country for diet and it turned out to be two weeks on diet for MDs. Why would this be? Diet is the leading factor of the top four killers in the western world; heart attack, stroke, diabetes and cancer. Why is diet not the TOP subject in medical schools around the world? $$$$

Douglas E Knapp
25th April, 2013 @ 11:33 pm PDT

Its not a cure however CCSVI does give a much better quality of life to MSers over 40,000 WORLDWIDE have now had . Theres more postives than negatives . One neurologist is being sued for naysaying hopes more are going to be sued too. CCSVI has been known of for 150 years. No other disease has had to wait this long ever for help. Many of us Worldwide have uncovered alot more truths of whats really been going on also. Everyone of us deserves this help in our own country.

Lynnie Heal
31st January, 2014 @ 09:05 am PST

This old article has risen in popularity recently.

Unfortunately, this information about Zamboni's cure is not true.

Here's a more recent article:

SingularityHUB: CONTROVERSIAL NO MORE – STUDY SHOWS MUCH HYPED MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS ‘CURE’ DOESN’T WORK

It's not just that precious resources are diverted from more effective treatments and wasted but Zamboni's MS cure is actually harmful to the patients.

Gizmag should retract this article or at least add a correction.

Mr. T
6th February, 2014 @ 11:28 pm PST

My fiancé does these procedures with Dr. Sclafani who worked with Dr. Zamboni when in Italy. Dr. Sclafani now practices out of Brooklyn, NY. He has brought this to the United States. My fiancé says that the results are nothing short of amazing. Problem is that in America there is no money in this for drug companies. Insurance isn't covering it and the FDA isn't approving it. Hopefully in the future it will happen but for now those who wish to receive this treatment in the US will have to pay.

Lisa Marie
7th February, 2014 @ 10:56 am PST

Omg where is this doctor. I would have the surgery right now

Maria Formica-Alfano
8th February, 2014 @ 11:37 am PST

This is such a remarkable article, having MS, migraines, iron deficiency and getting iron as an infant along with working in a dental office for 10+ years there are just too many coincidences for me not to keep reading and wondering.

Kim Michalski Potrzeba
9th February, 2014 @ 04:29 pm PST

Biogen Idec is not going to like this...

John Hunt
10th February, 2014 @ 01:48 pm PST

Sorry folks... recall, this article was written in 2009.

Now it's 2014. Here's the latest:

1. Iron has nothing to do with it.

2. Blood supply to the brain has nothing to do with it.

3. There are no magical cures.

MS has been classified as an environmental disease. That is, it effects you depending on your environment AND whether you have a specific gene.

YOU ARE ALLERGIC TO YOUR ENVIRONMENT

Look at the map on page 8:

Note few have MS below the equator, almost none in Africa (usually because they don't report).

What's the difference in environments? Why does Uruguay have more than any other country in SA?

Only thing I can think of is: red meat consumption, flu vaccine, alcohol consumption.

Zach Peterson
11th February, 2014 @ 03:17 pm PST

For all you people that are skeptical and saying that they don't want to "believe" in it, you do realize that it was a test run and for something being a test run they have good results. My sister has MS and she would be willing to do it just because she is so young and knows that test runs are the only thing that will get a cure approved by any medical professional.

Not trying to be mean but I just think its stupid how people can say something about it not having "enough" evidence to work when it just came out. Give the guy some time and before you know it, it might be a cure for MS.

I do hope that someday that do find something.

Alyssa Vash-Royer
12th February, 2014 @ 05:05 pm PST

Thankfully a lawsuit to the naysayer of CCSVI hopes many more will be sued aswell http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/11/14/ms-specialist-accused-of-defaming-heart-surgeon-in-email-about-controversial-liberation-treatment/

Lynnie Heal
14th February, 2014 @ 06:24 pm PST

Thank you Loz for getting the word out about Pompe Disease. It's a devastating disease that needs more attention.

Mike Stanzione
17th February, 2014 @ 08:08 am PST

Italian doctors are notorious for ignoring the scientific method of double blind testing. Anything they "claim" should be taken with not a grain of salt, but an entire 100Kg bag of salt.

When actual controlled tests have been done, the results for this "method" are pathetic.

Worse still is their tendancy to announce their "cure" claiming always that "traditional" medicine (ie. proven by scientific testing) is slow to adopt their leading edge claims. BS. Desperate people go to third world countries who will do any hack procedure for money and then get major life threatening complications from the operations promoted by these Italian charlatans. Want good medicine, try that with actual proven evidence of efficacy. Else risk your life, lose buckets of money, and maybe die following quacks.

grtbluyonder
4th May, 2014 @ 02:21 pm PDT

This article was done in 2009. Has there been an update to it?

Anne Hetu