Shopping? Check out our latest product comparisons

Cardless Cash Access lets users withdraw money from ATMs using their phone

By

October 11, 2013

Users of the system get a QR code sent to their phone, which they scan at the ATM

Users of the system get a QR code sent to their phone, which they scan at the ATM

Although not all of us may think of ATM use as something that needs to be sped up, banking technology company FIS has developed a system that is claimed to streamline the cash-getting process. Known as Cardless Cash Access, it allows people to get money from ATMs within seconds, using nothing but their smartphone.

To use Cardless Cash Access, a client's identity is first verified using an app on their phone – this can be done anywhere, up to 24 hours before they plan on getting the money. They then select the account, the amount that they wish to withdraw, and the ATM location at which they wish to pick the cash up.

When they get to that location, the money will be there waiting for them. To get the machine to dispense it, they just use the ATM to scan a one-time-use QR code that has been sent to their phone's screen. An electronic receipt is subsequently sent to their phone, eliminating the need for a paper version.

According to FIS, the system should decrease incidences of card skimming and fraud, plus it also ought to shorten wait times at bank machines. People worried about getting robbed while using ATMs will probably also appreciate spending as little time at them as possible.

Users' account information is stored in a secure cloud-based server, so even if they lose their phone, no one else will be able to access that information without their password.

The system has been already been utilized in pilot projects in three US cities, and FIS recently announced that three more such projects are planned to take place using City National Bank ATMs in Los Angeles, New York City and San Francisco.

A demo of the Cardless Cash Access technology can be seen in the video below.

Source: FIS via CNN

About the Author
Ben Coxworth An experienced freelance writer, videographer and television producer, Ben's interest in all forms of innovation is particularly fanatical when it comes to human-powered transportation, film-making gear, environmentally-friendly technologies and anything that's designed to go underwater. He lives in Edmonton, Alberta, where he spends a lot of time going over the handlebars of his mountain bike, hanging out in off-leash parks, and wishing the Pacific Ocean wasn't so far away.   All articles by Ben Coxworth
Tags
5 Comments

LOL - if the USA had adopted chip cards like the rest of the world, they would not be stuck with suffering 50% of the worlds fraud, on only 25% of the worlds volume like today!

It's kinda funny how they dream up clunky QR code apps that 1% of people might use, while the other 99% are going to continue to suffer it out.

christopher
13th October, 2013 @ 05:21 pm PDT

By now we shouldn't even have to stop by an actual ATM ...

Benjamin Harrison Felts
14th October, 2013 @ 10:52 am PDT

I'd rather use this than RFID chip card anyday! the rest of the world can adopt a chip to put in there forehead if they want to, and I'd rather use annonymous cash when I can. as for fraud, as if that doesn't happen anywhere the U.S. has the most to steal.

junbug20
14th October, 2013 @ 02:12 pm PDT

What happens if the chosen ATM is out of cash or down?

This system needs to be able to access any of the customer's banks ATMs not a particular location.

Murdo
14th October, 2013 @ 03:49 pm PDT

"Users' account information is stored in a secure cloud-based server"

Sorry Charley there is no such thing as Truly "Secure cloud based server"

that is the only real flaw...

Solarmanjd
20th October, 2013 @ 05:57 am PDT
Post a Comment

Login with your gizmag account:

Or Login with Facebook:


Related Articles
Looking for something? Search our 27,784 articles