Canon EOS 5D Mark III firmware update will unlock high-end HDMI video
By Simon Crisp
October 28, 2012
Canon has responded to the requests of videographers using its EOS 5D Mark III to shoot professional video, by announcing a firmware update which will allow the camera to produce uncompressed HDMI output. The substantial update will also improve autofocus performance for telephoto photographers.
The firmware update, which is due to land in April 2013, will mean 5D Mark III users can record high-definition uncompressed video data (YCbCr 4:2:2, 8 bit) by plugging an external recorder into the HDMI port (not onto memory cards). Currently, the camera compresses video down to 4:2:0 for HDMI output, meaning less color data can be recorded.
Many video professionals had been disappointed the 5D Mark III didn't offer uncompressed HDMI output from release as it means video data can be edited with minimal image degradation and that colors can be adjusted more in post-production. It also allows for uncompressed video to be displayed on an external monitor, enabling real-time, on-site monitoring during shooting.
But it's not just videographers who will want to update their DSLR come April, big lens photographers are also in for a treat as the firmware will allow the 5D Mark III to autofocus with lenses with an aperture of f8 or wider, from the current f5.6. This is something particularly of note for fans of super-telephoto lens as it allows the use of big lenses and teleconverters.
For example, a Canon 400mm f5.6 will currently work very nicely on your EOS 5D Mark III … unless you want to also mount a teleconverter and get closer to the action. Putting a 1.4x teleconverter increases the lens to 560 mm, but also pushes the widest aperture of the lens to f8, beyond the limit of the autofocus. With the firmware update the camera's central cross-type points will still work.
The new firmware update will be available to download and install free of charge from the Canon website from April 2013, or from Canon Factory Service Centers.
- Canon EOS 5D Mark III 22.3 MP Full Frame CMOS with 1080p Full-HD Video Mode Digital SLR Camera (Body)
- Canon EOS 5D Mark III 22.3 MP Full Frame CMOS Digital SLR Camera with EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM Lens
- Canon 5D Mark III Experience - The Still Photography Guide to Operation and Image Creation with the Canon EOS 5D Mark III
- Around The Home
- Digital Cameras
- Good Thinking
- Health and Wellbeing
- Holiday Destinations
- Home Entertainment
- Inventors and Remarkable People
- Mobile Technology
- Urban Transport
- Wearable Electronics
- 2014 Action Camera Comparison Guide
- 2014 Smartwatch Comparison Guide
- 2014 Windows 2-in-1 Comparison Guide
- 2014 Smartphone Comparison Guide
- 2014 Full Frame DSLR Comparison Guide
- 2014 Tablet Comparison Guide
- 2014 Superzoom Camera Comparison Guide
- 2014 iPad Comparison Guide
- 2014 Entry-Level to Enthusiast DSLR Comparison Guide
- 2014 Small Compact Camera Comparison Guide