Decision time? Read Gizmag's latest product comparisons

B-And-Bee shelter looks to comfort festival goers

July 25, 2014

The B-And-Bee, by Belgian company Achilles Design (Photo: B-And-Bee)

The B-And-Bee, by Belgian company Achilles Design (Photo: B-And-Bee)

Each year, millions of people head to their festival of choice with tent and sleeping bag in hand. Belgian company Achilles Design aims to bring those festival goers a little extra comfort – and save space too – with its honeycomb-shaped B-And-Bee shelter.

Bearing some resemblance to the Japanese Capsule Hotels we covered back in 2011, the B-And-Bee features a modular, stackable design that takes up a relatively small physical footprint when compared to a large number of tents. The company also states that it's easily transported and assembled.

Access is gained via metal steps and a roll-up canvas sheet serves as a zip-up door. There's a king-size bed inside that converts to seating, and the snug interior also sports luggage storage, a locker, light, and a power supply.

There's a king-size bed inside (Photo: B-And-Bee)

One can't help but think that the company is missing a trick marketing B-And-Bee solely toward festival organizers, as it could perhaps be useful in other areas too, such as in natural disaster situations, for example. Still, it's early days yet, and the design is currently being tested at Belgium's Gentse Feesten festival.

Source: B-And-Bee

Adam Williams Adam scours the globe from his home in North Wales in order to bring the best of innovative architecture and sustainable design to the pages of Gizmag. Most of his spare time is spent dabbling in music, tinkering with old Macintosh computers and trying to keep his even older VW bus on the road.

All articles by Adam Williams

looks like an even more spartan example of Japan's capsule hotels - though larger per unit.

hourglass
25th July, 2014 @ 01:12 am PDT

if you are planning on using them for festivals then I suggest you think of a way to remove the smell of urine and vomit, and how you get stains out of the wooden paneling.

JPAR
25th July, 2014 @ 03:43 am PDT

Precisely JPAR.

Adam, I think you're correct as well with: "One can't help but think that the company is missing a trick marketing B-And-Bee solely toward festival organizers, as it could perhaps be useful in other areas too, such as in natural disaster situations".

yrag
25th July, 2014 @ 06:03 am PDT

I agree, I think its potential should not be limited to festivals. I think it could - as you suggested - used in emergency situations. I think it could also be used in campgrounds and as a retreats for those who want to get away from it all for awhile.

Perhaps if the panels had some kind of sealant so they could be easier to clean? Perhaps with a power washer?

BigGoofyGuy
25th July, 2014 @ 06:08 am PDT

Sound proofing would be just as much of an issue.

Paul Robertson
25th July, 2014 @ 08:55 am PDT

Interesting idea for festivals like Burning Man or various multiday music festivals. I don' think [as JPAR pointed out] that as is it would serve because of sanitary issues [vomit, piss, shit and whatnot] but made out of recycled composite [like the planks for decks that are plastic and sawdust] with mattresses that are closecell foam [like those floating foam keychains and some floatation cushions on boats] so they could be hosed off it would work. Though I would personally include little bug screen panels in the front and back canvas panels for ventilation.

As to being used for emergency shelter - it is an interesting idea - though if I were going to be in a refugee camp I would like it a bit more secure than a tube with canvas flaps - I would have my computer case and go-box of important documents and my med bag[up to 3 months of medications including pain killers] and would be worried about being robbed. [I rarely take anything of value other than my messenger bag with phone, spare battery and wallet to a music festival.] If they could make a securely locking section under the bed perhaps it might work.

Aruvqan Myers
25th July, 2014 @ 11:28 am PDT

Every airport in the world needs these. I can't tell you how many times I've had long layoevers and had to nap on an uncomfortable bench or row of chairs.

Dax Wagner
25th July, 2014 @ 11:40 am PDT

It probably beats having your tent in the mud.

Daishi
25th July, 2014 @ 11:42 am PDT

Very cool!

As Dax Wagner mentioned, these would be *very* useful at airports.

*Hundreds* of people there would love to have a place to just "veg out", lie down in comfort and have a sleep for the time between flights.

mooseman
25th July, 2014 @ 05:40 pm PDT

These were used in the sci-fi version of HIGH NOON, called OUTLAND, with Sean Connery.

Randall Berger