Urban cruiser: the A2B electric bike
October 15, 2008
October 16, 2008 Yet another option for short-distance commuters who want to pollute less, avoid traffic snarls and keep fuel-money in their pockets, the aptly named A2B electric bike lets you cruise under electric power at 20mph for up to 20 miles on a single charge with an optional second battery doubling the range.
Somewhat chunkier than a mountain bike but not quite as bulky as a scooter, the A2B has 3-inch wide tyres and weighs in at a fairly hefty 73lb (33kg). This means pedaling the bike up a steep hill could be a challenge if the battery dies at the wrong time, although there are seven gears to help out if you find yourself in this situation.
The lithium-ion batteries can be charged from a conventional socket and are incorporated into rectangular tubes of the bike's nicely proportioned frame. No driver’s license is necessary to ride the bike and the electric power delivery is controlled by a conventional twist throttle.
Comfort is also high on agenda for the design which features front and rear suspension, an upright sitting position and an oversized seat. Baskets and side bags can also be added to increase the load carrying capacity.
The A2B has recently been released onto the U.S. market for around USD$2,500 - read on for more specs or see UltraMotor for further info.A2B in brief:
- Speed: 20 Mph / 33kmph
- Range: 20miles / 33km - (extendable to 40miles)*
- Vehicle weight: 73lb / 33kg
- Battery type: Lithium Ion
- Operating voltage: 36V
- Motor Power: mBLDC hub motor 500W
- Frame: Tig Welded 6061 Aluminum
- Wheel size: 20 X 3.0 Kenda Kraze
- Derailleur: Shimano Alivio 7 Speed
- Front suspension: Front shock
- Rear suspension: Rear swing arm
- Seat type: Ultra Motor oversize comfort seat
- Brake type: Hayes MX4 V7 Cable Disc
Just enter your friends and your email address into the form below
For multiple addresses, separate each with a comma