Boeing 787 Dreamliner struts its stuff at Farnborough International Airshow
July 9, 2012
Qatar Airways unveiled its brand new Boeing 787 Dreamliner today at the Farnborough Airshow in the U.K. as the aircraft took to the skies for the first time in a flying display. The impressive demonstration of the plane's maneuverability was marked by steep climbs, tight banking and a "touch-and-go" landing, but perhaps the most striking feature of the 787 in flight (after an afternoon filled with the roar of jet fighters) was just how quiet it is.
The 787 Dreamliner entered commercial service in October last year when All Nippon Airways made its first passenger carrying flight.
Qatar Airways is Boeing's Middle-East launch customer and is set to take delivery of five of the aircraft this year. It will begin flights between Doha and London in coming months.
The company has brought its own proprietary seat design to the 787 which includes a touch control unit, iDevice and USB ports, and extra storage space for personal items in all classes.
While today's show definitely highlighted the capabilities of the carbon fiber composite aircraft, none of these antics will be repeated when there are actually passengers on board.
The 787 Dreamliner will take part in two more aerial displays this week.Share
- Around The Home
- Digital Cameras
- Good Thinking
- Health and Wellbeing
- Holiday Destinations
- Home Entertainment
- Inventors and Remarkable People
- Mobile Technology
- Urban Transport
- Wearable Electronics
- 2014 Action Camera Comparison Guide
- 2014 Smartwatch Comparison Guide
- 2014 Windows 2-in-1 Comparison Guide
- 2014 Smartphone Comparison Guide
- 2014 Full Frame DSLR Comparison Guide
- 2014 Tablet Comparison Guide
- 2014 Superzoom Camera Comparison Guide
- 2014 iPad Comparison Guide
- 2014 Entry-Level to Enthusiast DSLR Comparison Guide
- 2014 Small Compact Camera Comparison Guide