Toshiba unveils JournE touch home multimedia tablet
By Jeff Salton
September 7, 2009
Toshiba’s JournE touch is a portable, wireless home multimedia tablet with a 7-inch (17.8cm) color touch screen display, which serves as a communication and infotainment center for every member of the household. Users can browse the Internet and download digital content anywhere in the house in a flash, because the device boots instantaneously. However, with its small size (only 14mm/0.5in thick) and great user-interface, we say families better get ready for a fight over who gets to use it.
Running Windows CE Pro 6.0 with Explorer and Multimedia Player 9.0, users can add their favorite icons to the menu (up to 15) to enable instant connection with movies, music, the Internet, their own content and, of course, social networking sites like Facebook, MSN Messenger, MySpace, etc, via the unit’s built-in WiFi 802.11 g/n connectivity. A handy icon to keep on the menu is the Organizer which should be used to book in your turn on the device.
Users can navigate around the 7” LCD 16:9 LED backlit touch screen with a fingertip menu and digital keyboard. The JournE touch is customizable as users can easily add applications, change icons and insert new links to favorite online platforms.
Downloaded movies can be played back on TVs or laptops via an optional cradle with a USB port and HDMI outlet, while the unit's Lithium-Polymer battery can run for up to 14 hours, allowing plenty of time to play music and socially network. Toshiba says the battery should last around two hours between charges for movies and web browsing.
“With the launch of the JournE touch, Toshiba is entering a new market for portable home multimedia devices,” says Marco Perino, General Manager PC Options, Peripherals and Service Division, Toshiba Europe. “The wireless device complements families’ digital lifestyles by offering easy access to and sharing of information, entertainment, and multimedia files from anywhere in the home."Toshiba says the JournE touch is designed to take advantage of :
- YouTube: the most used video sharing platform
- Acetrax: Video-on-demand
- FrameChannel: allows users to choose from a panel of different content providers
- Picasa: organizes users’ personal photos on an online platform
- Flickr: a popular online photo management and sharing application
- MSN Messenger: voice and message-based chatting
- RSS: RSS feeds keep users posted about news, weather, financials, or sports
The JournE touch will be available from the fourth quarter 2009 on via selected resellers in Europe, Middle East and Africa.
- Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g built in, supporting WEP, WPA. WPA2
- Brightness: typ. 250 cd/m2, Contrast: typ. 300:1
- Supported file formats: Picture: JPEG; Audio, MP3, WMA, Video: MPEG 4, H.264,divX, WMV
- Win CE 6.0 pro with Internet Explorer and Windows Multimedia Player 9.0
- Around The Home
- Digital Cameras
- Good Thinking
- Health and Wellbeing
- Holiday Destinations
- Home Entertainment
- Inventors and Remarkable People
- Mobile Technology
- Urban Transport
- Wearable Electronics
- 2014 Action Camera Comparison Guide
- 2014 Smartwatch Comparison Guide
- 2014 Windows 2-in-1 Comparison Guide
- 2014 Smartphone Comparison Guide
- 2014 Full Frame DSLR Comparison Guide
- 2014 Tablet Comparison Guide
- 2014 Superzoom Camera Comparison Guide
- 2014 iPad Comparison Guide
- 2014 Entry-Level to Enthusiast DSLR Comparison Guide
- 2014 Small Compact Camera Comparison Guide