Decision time? Check out our latest product comparisons

Steve Jobs' most disruptive trait: his obsession with the customer's experience

October 5, 2012

For Steve Jobs, the customer's experience was paramount (Photo: bloomua/Shutterstock)

You have to wonder whether all of the tech bloggers who gush sentimental tributes to Steve Jobs would have actually liked the man. Numerous accounts paint a picture of a person who – in addition to his obvious charm, wicked intelligence, and inspired creativity – could be extremely rude, manipulative, and hot-tempered. It's easy to laugh these traits off when you're reading about them in a biography, but if these sappy fanboys had actually spent time with Jobs, would they still offer such moving words?

So, on this anniversary of his passing, I'm not going to pretend that I knew the man and deliver another faux heartfelt eulogy. Instead, I'm going to offer a viewpoint of Steve Jobs from the perspective of a customer.

Jobs had many unique traits that determined his success: taste in elegant design, a Jedi-like ability to see 50 steps ahead, and a charismatic "reality distortion field." You could write a book about each of these qualities. But, from my viewpoint, one attribute cemented Jobs' legacy more than any of these: his obsession with the customer's subjective experience.

Profitable subjectivity

(Photo: Featureflash/Shutterstock)

Advertising execs have been trying to get inside customers' heads for centuries. Anyone who has watched Mad Men has seen a fascinating example of the wheels that could have been turning in a typical 1960s ad agency. What made Jobs special – perhaps more so than the fictional Don Draper – was his deep-rooted obsession with the customer's journey.

Most companies look at their products as things. They decide what this thing is going to do, what practical purpose it will solve, and how much it will cost. The product is an objective, measurable item, and their job is to figure out how to make money off of that item.

Whether it stemmed from his Buddhist views, his 1970s acid trips, or something else entirely, Jobs thought differently. He saw life – from birth to death – as an experience. Facts, figures, and objects were fine and dandy, but they were all just part of a person's subjective perspective.

Products as Events

Photo: acaben
Photo: acaben

Jobs was a dreamer – influenced heavily by 1960s cultural icons like the Beatles and Bob Dylan – and he believed that his products (much like Dylan's songwriting) took that subjective experience to a higher level. Sublime art elevated life. His goal with his products, then, was to create events.

To Jobs, a Mac wasn't just a computer that you used to get stuff done. An iPhone wasn't just an internet-connected portable media player that made phone calls. And a trip to the Genius bar wasn't just a visit to customer service. All of these things were events.

This series of events started with, well, an event: a keynote speech with Jobs on stage, laying out the framework for this next amazing experience. Soon after came the purchase of the product, which – in Jobs' later years – involved thousands of eager customers camping out overnight. Even opening the product was an event, with the package laid out so that you discovered this beautiful device in just the right sequence. Once you owned the item, every time you used it was also meant to be an event. It isn't a product, it's your life – enhanced.

Perhaps what separated Jobs from an ad exec with a marketing degree, though, was that he really believed in this perspective. To him, it wasn't just a clever tactic to sucker people into making him rich; it represented his core philosophy. The iPad wasn't just a product sold by Apple any more than Hey Jude was just a product sold by Apple Records. To Jobs, they were both art: elevating life experience from the dull and boring into something approaching nirvana.

It worked

(Photo: cdrin/Shutterstock)

You can argue all you want about whether this view is "true" or simply a convenient delusion. That's a discussion for another time and place. One thing you can't deny, though, is that it worked for Steve Jobs.

Jobs' genius can't be summed up in a blog post by someone who never met him. His most disruptive feature can, however, be discerned by a customer. Customers can tell when a company is only concerned with delivering X product for Y money, and when a company is devoted to something else. To millions of Apple's customers, Jobs took a sad song, and made it better.

Will Shanklin Will Shanklin is Gizmag's Mobile Tech Editor, and has been part of the team since 2012. Will has a Master's degree from U.C. Irvine and a Bachelor's from West Virginia University. He currently lives in New Mexico with his wife, Jessica.
  All articles by Will Shanklin

This article makes a lot of sense, I knew early on that Apple under Jobs was working toward making an experience, because all of their literature referred to "the experience".

Well the experience to me boiled down to a lot of content-less graphic sequences that are basically nothing but miniature cartoons. It's fluff. It has no substance. Now I admit when my Windows device slows down or hiccups, that shatters the illusion that it is operating seamlessly and a person's perception is shattered. I must be a cheapskate or something because I have never paid good money for Apple product, because when I look past the fluff I can find other equipment that is just as effective and a lot cheaper.

I guess the lesson is, make sure to control the perception and you can name your own reward. It's the same trick magicians use to fantastic effect - but you know in your head that the act is a bunch of hokum.

Grunchy
5th October, 2012 @ 04:18 pm PDT

Now if someone would just apply the same philosophy and tenacity to the design of kitchen appliances. Think about how the tops of ranges or the insides of microwave oven trap food in cracks and are difficult to clean. We need a revolution in the kitchen, and it can't come soon enough.

Larry Smith
6th October, 2012 @ 08:26 am PDT

Unlike Grunchy I've used PC's solely till about 2 years ago. I got sick and tired of re-booting, of having a problem and Microsoft blaming another software maker and they another as to whose part of the puzzle was causing the problem. I've seen past the fluff on the PC and it's dysfunction and chaos.

Apple just works. Most of the time. And when it doesn't, I can talk to someone and can usually get it sorted. Apples valuing of customer experience permeates the product. I've dropped my magic mouse dozens of times on to a tiled floor and it just works.

There is an elegance of design and build through hardware and software. It's those little things that you hardly notice that just make the experience more pleasurable.

I hope Apple have someone taking up the same cause going forward. I have iOS6 maps that suggest it's slipping. They say Apple Maps was Jobs idea. Maybe so but I bet he would have run that thing and played with it and never released it in that state or labelled it beta. A main arterial route North of me that was open over a year ago is not on my Apple map (Kamo bypass for SH1). Nor the new adjoining roads.

Great article.

Des Shinnick
6th October, 2012 @ 03:06 pm PDT

Gushing about the customer experience is fine.....until every piece of media you want to access HAS to go through Quicktime or iTunes to run. The balloon pops for me at that point. I don't want or need Apple to be THAT intrusive into how I use what I bought.

Plus the sheer control freak aspect of no SD card slots.

VoiceofReason
7th October, 2012 @ 12:48 am PDT

I'm with you, VoiceofReason. The experience is fine, as long as you want it the way Steve Jobs thinks you should. Try to do anything else, and you're hamstrung.

I begrudgingly accepted a hand-me-down iPhone, and found it quite useful in many ways (coming from a non-smart-phone). It suddenly decided it wouldn't work at all without being 'restored'. Trying to do so fails at about 80% of the way through, with only an error number to tell me why it failed. Clicking on the 'more info' took me to an Apple page that wouldn't open. That's the experience from my perspective.

mokkybear54
8th October, 2012 @ 02:17 am PDT

Thoughtful article. I enjoyed reading the author's perspective. I suppose it's pleasant partly because I share his point of view, but also because it's so nicely written.

On the other hand, the "experience" is less pleasant reading the uniformed, and rather aggressively written, opinions of people who, by their own admission, have never purchased (used?) the company's products.

For them, I have a book they can judge without reading it.

duh3000
8th October, 2012 @ 02:46 am PDT

just a lot of sheep out there needing a sheperd

ugosugo
8th October, 2012 @ 06:39 am PDT

There will always be Apple/Mac haters and those who will figure out to diss Jobs. But the incredible success of the company and its products really tells the tale. Sheep? Such arrogance! LOL I recall buying my first Mac in 1986. It was a 128K and cost about $3,000. Before I left the store, I got a bit of buyer's remorse and commented to the very attractive woman who was my salesperson that I was not very technically inclined. She smiled and said, "If you're not up and running this Mac within 15 minutes of opening the boxes, you're a great deal more stupid that you look!" LOL I timed it. Eight minutes. That sealed it for me. I'm still not technically inclined but found that I can easily do most of my trouble shooting on the Mac myself or with just a bit of advice. The "fixing experience" has not always been fun, but it's always been short lived. And, to this day, I've yet to lose a single file with any of my many Macs. Hard to beat that "experience". If ALL products were approached in the same way Jobs thought, life would be far easier and, yes, more fun.

TheRogue1000
8th October, 2012 @ 09:41 am PDT

And one more tale. In the 90s, I went to work in an office equipped solely with pcs. I did learn how to use one but found it hopelessly complex for actually getting work done. So I began bringing my Mac Portable (that 20 lb. "luggagle") with me to the office. After two weeks, the president came in and asked how I was managing to get so much work done. I showed her the machine and how easy it was to operate. Two weekends later, the techs showed up and wired every workstation with a new Mac, all networked together with nary a sign of a cable connection. By the end of the first day, every single employee stopped by to thank me for making that happen. They had simply not known how pleasant a computer experience could be. So make snide remarks about Jobs all you like, the business results more than speak for themselves. Jobs *did* change the world. And, as for me, I could care less what his personality was like. He delivered the goods big time.

TheRogue1000
8th October, 2012 @ 10:05 am PDT

Enjoyable article but I think that you missed a central point.

Steve was involved with Werner Erhard.

Hence all that craptalk about "reality distortion fields", sappy fanboys, and ignorant haters, and extreme rudeness and harshness are irrelevant and somewhat disgusting.

As such you had better believe that he was extremely highly intentional. In fact his intentionality meter was driven well past 100%. Good was never good enough. It had to be perfect, just like a master Calligraphers that he watched in college.

His products were well beyond good in every way, from packaging, to sales, to product design itself.

In fact the new maps are way more beautiful than before and if something is missing you can bet that it will be corrected. The lies about Central Park are disgusting. The overblown criticism is awfully Republican in style, and again more than disgusting.

With Steve, America is not in decline as the Prime Minister pointed out upon meeting one of the candidates.

Yes, Rogue, thanks to Steve, life is more fun.

And take a look at that Australian product, the i41CX+, the finest calculator in the world that should be used in all the schools of the world, only to be found in iOS devices. Some have said that it is the real reason to have an iOS device.

Steve has opened up the possibility for many young programmers to make a difference in the world because of his central conception.

To me that is his greatest contribution, he helped his kindred spirits who would show their brilliance.

Bill

Island Architect
8th October, 2012 @ 10:09 am PDT

steve jobs was at best a misanthrope, he took other peoples credit. Factually he never designed a thing in his entire misbegotten life. Under jobs direction apple uses every loophole in the book so as to avoid paying corporate taxes, which is why its recent rate has been around the 10% mark. To those who argue that this is legal, that is not the point and you very well know it. This country is being destroyed from within by minimalists such as this jobs fellow. Pay the minimum while reaping the rewards of those with the actual talent.

Anyone who steals from his partner is not a man.

Mitchele Vigil
8th October, 2012 @ 10:36 am PDT

A good percentage of technologers is high functioning autistic. Jobs' social skills and "obsession with details" are signs, to me, that he was a high functioning autistic. Society generally shuns or mocks these people, yet Jobs somehow elicits wonderment in his obsession, and somehow an admirable management style, at a serious condition that 1 in 100 kids is born with. Another symptom is hoarding. Despite suffering horribly of cancer, he did not see fit to leave half his $8B worth to cancer research....any other person, but Jobs, would have been labeled an a-hole.

solutions4circuits
8th October, 2012 @ 11:28 am PDT

I am not an Apple/Jobs fan yet I found this story interesting, insightful and most amazing of all, told me something new about Steve Jobs that I had not already read 50 times in 50 ways from other reporters.

Thanks Mr. Shanklin. I'll be watching for more output from your pen in the future.

I like your style.

Christopher Erickson
8th October, 2012 @ 11:38 am PDT

With Steve Jobs it was all about him and whatever product was Apple's latest. He wasn't interested in the previous latest thing the company had done.

What always pointed that up prominently was the product intros. With Apple it was just Jobs on the stage.

With Microsoft, Bill gates would bring out the entire team and introduce them.

Both men told some whopping big lies and took credit for other peoples work while getting their companies started in the 1970s, but Gates is the one who made amends for it while Jobs just kept hogging the limelight.

Phil Knight (Nike shoes) is another one of the same cloth. While selling stuff from the back of his car, he told companies in Japan he owned a "sporting goods distribution company".

Gregg Eshelman
8th October, 2012 @ 02:13 pm PDT

My earlier comments weren't an Apple vs Microsoft argument - they were merely an observation that Jobs's presumptions regarding the user experience were not universally accurate.

Some, like me, find it exasperating to be constrained by the closed system and lack of flexibility that is 'the Apple way'. It's like buying a car and not being able to open the bonnet, and when it stops working, the answer is, 'well it's two years old now, so why aren't you busting to just throw that one away and buy the latest model?'

mokkybear54
9th October, 2012 @ 03:43 am PDT

I think obsession is an element required to be successful. Just study any famous figure and you'll uncover one or more of their deep obsessions.

Sambath Pech
9th October, 2012 @ 05:26 am PDT

Some very interesting comments, "Republican in style"? Huh? What I know is that they work. I always hear from PC fans that they hate Macs because they aren't allowed to open the system or some such. Most say this without ever having used one. You can indeed go as deep into a Mac as you like if your UNIX skills are sharp.

Working in Special Operations for 14 years I used to hound the powers that were to switch to Apple products. No way, the PC was and is too entrenched. This despite the fact that you could hear people cussing every day when their computer just froze for the third time in an hour and they once again lost a bunch of work. There were days where I would work 6 hours to get 2 hours of work done! Until the days when our systems became so secure that we couldn't use thumb drives or PCMCIA cards, or any portable media, I would go home and do presentations on Keynote then export as a PowerPoint file and ...DONE.

Classic Apple hater example: my brother-in-law who touted the new iPhone killer Android. I listened for hours as he explained its superiority. Six months later he quietly bought an iPhone.

Many of the complaints I hear about Apple products are just old news and no longer apply. Expensive? If you look at what an iMac comes with capability wise, I think you'll find that it is worth the $1000 compared to the $400 PC. Now compare the price of Microsoft Office (I'm a true hater) to Apples suite of similar (not equal) products at what? About $70? Expensive is a relative term.

I recall when the iPad was coming out hearing "experts" say it won't sell, no one wants one! Thank goodness they're experts and not actually in the business of making things happen. My favorite comment is the "not giving half of his $$ to cancer research" I have always felt comfortable letting people decide where their personal property goes. It just seems natural to decide for yourself what to do with your property.

Thank you Steve Jobs for making my life better and thanks to the great teams that you empowered to make things happen. Just like a car, I enjoy working on them at times but mostly I just want it to work! Let's hope that the people in place still have the ability to push technology forward into places most of us don't even think about until it is made and we say "of course!"

Dr. Veritas
9th October, 2012 @ 06:29 pm PDT

I find Rogue1000's view of his Mac experience conflated with his admiration for Jobs heartwarming and a clear indication of what the user experience is for him.

The time period he invokes though from 1986 to the nineties is one in which Jobs was not at Apple or driving any of the projects at Apple.

I hope everyone will come away from the latter fact with an understanding that Apple can and should continue to produce excellent consumer friendly products.

All the above said, I met Jobs in 1977 in Apple's little store front where he proceeded to explain why the touch screen pointing device I was showing him was of no interest to him or Apple's (Apple II) customers.

Like most ego maniacs he was entirely convinced of his snap conclusions.

Jobs showed me in 1977 and subsequent years that he had very deep, and very near sighted product vision. We can all learn from that. Jobs never tried to break any new technical ground (and neither he nor Apple ever have) but he and Apple have opened new markets and perceived product experience opportunities that have made them the most valuable company on earth.

I'd still rather find a way to tap Dark Energy or build a true Quantum Optical Computer. I hope though that I've helped all you Apple wannabees in your quest for the wealth of Croseus.

attoman