Highlights from the 2014 LA Auto Show

'World's brightest' Spyder 3 Krypton laser

September 6, 2011

With a 1-watt beam, the Spyder 3 Krypton is the brightest handheld laser you can legally o...

With a 1-watt beam, the Spyder 3 Krypton is the brightest handheld laser you can legally own

Perhaps you were one of the first people to buy a standard red laser pointer when they first came out. Then, you jumped on the bandwagon when the more powerful green laser pointers showed up. Now, you're just willing to admit it: you want the most powerful handheld laser that it is legally possible to own. Well, according to the folks at Wicked Lasers, that would be their Spyder 3 Krypton. Just how powerful is it? Let's put it this way, the website warns users not to point it at aircraft or satellites.

Yep, with a claimed range of 85 miles (137 km), the top-end model Krypton can apparently shoot its 1-watt beam through the earth's atmosphere and into outer space. It puts out 86 million lux, which reportedly makes its projected dot appear 8,000 times brighter than the Sun. The laser does at least come with safety goggles, plus it has a coding feature that keeps unauthorized users from being able to turn it on.

It is also said to be the first laser to incorporate an internal thermopile detector. This lowers the operating current to stabilize the device's temperature, when excess heat is detected.

It has nine operating modes, including strobe, beacon and SOS, and is powered by a rechargeable lithium-ion battery. Wicked Lasers states that it is too powerful to use as a pointer or gun sight, which does cause one to wonder what it is intended to be used for.

The Spyder 3 Krypton comes in 300-, 500- and 1,000-milliwatt models, which sell for US$299.95, $499.95 and $999.95 respectively. If you want the 1-watt beam, you'll have to shell out the thousand bucks.

So, is it right for the general public to be able to buy something like this? It's certainly a question to ponder, but here's another - how would you know if you were pointing it at a satellite?

Source: SlashGear

Ben Coxworth An experienced freelance writer, videographer and television producer, Ben's interest in all forms of innovation is particularly fanatical when it comes to human-powered transportation, film-making gear, environmentally-friendly technologies and anything that's designed to go underwater. He lives in Edmonton, Alberta, where he spends a lot of time going over the handlebars of his mountain bike, hanging out in off-leash parks, and wishing the Pacific Ocean wasn't so far away.   All articles by Ben Coxworth

"Let's put it this way, the website warns users not to point it at aircraft or satellites."

But you know some jackass will do it anyway. It has no useful purpose. Outlaw such high powered lasers before a tragedy like a plane crash because of a temporarily blinded pilot.

Gadgeteer
6th September, 2011 @ 11:34 pm PDT

I'm pretty sure they'll know who has one and if any incident happens they'll be able to trace it to the source. I have know problem with people owning one of these just like I have no problem with people who own guns, and in fact I intend to get one of these lasers for my self just so I can have one!

mrhuckfin
7th September, 2011 @ 04:25 am PDT

So, mrhuckfin, no one commits crimes with guns then??

Expect a lot of blind pussycats, neighbours' dogs etc. etc. as well as the air crashes, downed helicopters and damaged wildlife.

Doug MacLeod
7th September, 2011 @ 05:17 am PDT

"...not to point it at aircraft or satellites"

Well, how do these guys know if they are pointing at a satellite beyond their UAV target - the sky is full of stuff.

999 HOT
7th September, 2011 @ 08:13 am PDT

Yeah, best outlaw it before someone uses it to go postal. I'm sure this thing will go right through eyelids

3razer
7th September, 2011 @ 09:16 am PDT

I don't like state interference, but with this little toy I think it should be banned, and banned soon. If it isn't, it will be banned later, but only after the clowns in government have woken up when they have a queue of blind victimes of rape, muggings and car accidents; not to mention all the blind pets.

As for Wicked Lasers, well the original use of the word 'wicked' would seem to apply much more than any modern usage.

Mel Tisdale
7th September, 2011 @ 10:09 am PDT

Maybe this is a hoax, a sting, with a built-in GPS to track al-Qaeda and the Mexican drug cartel.

IggyDalrymple
7th September, 2011 @ 11:27 am PDT

I wonder if it's powerful enough to do anything useful, like start a campfire with damp leaves (or even dry leaves).

Dave Andrews
7th September, 2011 @ 11:37 am PDT

If some one is running around hitting people with a crowbar will you ban crowbars? Punish the ill behaved. This tool has several useful functions.

Slowburn
7th September, 2011 @ 12:08 pm PDT

As an ophthalmologist, we use medical lasers of this exact color/wavelength to treat retina disease. We use 200mW (1/5 of a watt) for 1/10th of a second to create the permanent laser burn.

1000 mW lasers are WAY too powerful for general population use with high potential abuse problems. In fact, even the reflected beam off of walls, etc., can cause dazzling of the retina, with slow, permanent degradation of vision with repeated exposure.

Rioters in London were recently temporarily blinding police with green lasers, rendering them ineffective...it's a cheap weapon with terrible results...for pennies. Terrorists could buy a few hundred of these and start dazzling commercial pilots all over the country at once, with no in-place protections. Completely portable, concealable and mobile weapon.

Any green/blue laser over 20mW should not be available, or at least licensed like a firearm with serial numbers.

Dr. Rings

Pensacola, FL

matthew.rings
7th September, 2011 @ 12:17 pm PDT

After all, it is up to the Government to take care of you. Just think if people were free to do as they wished I am sure they would all do terrible things to each other. If people were free they might band together and go invade a foreign country and kill the inhabitants. Yep I am sure the government should not allow a toy this dangerous in the hands of free Americans. Since it is a matter of public safety we must give up our freedom in this one issue.

farmrdave
7th September, 2011 @ 01:04 pm PDT

I think this is a fantastic development. I have no idea what it might be used for but since it is available I am sure that soon we will be hearing of new uses for a laser. I think each generation has developments that require a person to be thankful for the era they are born into. But I am sure modern developments make our era the vary best one.

farmrdave
7th September, 2011 @ 01:11 pm PDT

Well it would be pretty nice to have if you get stranded at sea for some reason...it would be a hell of a distress signal that could probably be easily triangulated from a satellite...so I'd say for people who hike or wonder off it would be serve a grave avoiding purpose! Granted some people are going to use it for some stupid reason, but with some refinement it could serve a good purpose

Philander Franklin
7th September, 2011 @ 02:13 pm PDT

Let me get this straight. Some of you guys are more scared of this than of guns? I have a gun but you don't want me to have one of these? I better hurry up and get one before you guys get your wish! I agree with Slowburn, punish the behavior not the tool! ANYTHING can be abused, cars, hammers, rocks, guns and lasers, you have little faith in man kind I see, 99.999 percent will never see anything bad done with these, but now as I right this I do remember the same cry of "out law them quick" when regular red lasers 1st hit the market and I have yet to see any wide spread mischief or mayhem done with the laser's I can get for 1 dollar at my local flea market! So maybe I worry to much? LOL!

mrhuckfin
7th September, 2011 @ 02:34 pm PDT

I know of no "license" for a firearm, at least not where I live (TX), but I do agree there is enormous potential for criminal mischief with these lasers. Slowburn indicates there are several useful functions but mentions none. I'm at a loss as to why I'd need one unless my intent was to do harm. And since I see no legitimate use for the general public, I'd like to see them tightly controlled. These things can be far, far more dangerous than a mere pistol.

Clay Jones
7th September, 2011 @ 02:34 pm PDT

Shouldn't be too long untill some genius points it say, a disco ball. There is no legitemate reason for owning this. Cutting lasers, sure. in enclosures, sure. THIS? When you're blinded by a 15 yr old, just remember, It's forever, kid can't be prosecuted as an adult. Even if someone is prosecuted, it doesn't bring your eyesight back. I just hope when these are released, the company is held liable.

Burnerjack
7th September, 2011 @ 02:42 pm PDT

clay jones, you see no use other than mischeif therefore theyre worse than things that a more deadly?

high powered lasers are used in medicine and science in general.

and to whomever said the laser will blind pilots, planes flying at hundreds of kilometers per hour and a tiny dot flashes past them at imperceptible speed. real dangerous, hey?

Jacob Shepley
7th September, 2011 @ 03:33 pm PDT

The only use I see for 1 watt lasers is as a $1000 fly killer. Point it at a fly on the wall and zap! You can blind flies with a 1.5 mW laser. I'm sure you leave a burn mark on your white paint, but what the hell...

The danger is not pointing these lasers at airplanes flying at high altitude, it's on takeoff and landing where one little green dot across the cabin blinds the pilot, or maybe even both, especially if you're a terrorist and you're doing it on purpose and in which case you just killed 300 people. You'd be surprised at how easy lasers this powerful are to aim.

These lasers have no real world application for the general public, they are simply for the guys that have to have 24 inch lift trucks to drive around town and a .50 caliber M82 Barrett for target practice. At least if they point one of these weapons at you you have a chance to get out of the way, in the case of even the crappiest laser pointer it's kinda hard to run from something that stays on and can be aimed by a flick of the wrist.

I'm for the right to bear arms, but I'm for arms that require some degree of competency to use at all, this makes the dumbest street punk capable of inflicting blindness on an innocent person.

Demian Alcazar
7th September, 2011 @ 05:56 pm PDT

What are you all blind?? The most obvious use for this product is for non lethal self defence. It would be far more effective than a handgun as it is easier to aim has a greater range and does not run out of bullets. It can't be used to kill you or your kids should they get their hands on it.

The question is why are hand guns manufactured at all and why are people allowed to buy lethal defence devices????

Foxy1968
7th September, 2011 @ 07:23 pm PDT

Given that fires have been lit using lesser lasers, it is a fire-starter, a rescue beacon, and a pinpoint heater.

Slowburn
7th September, 2011 @ 07:36 pm PDT

I have a 500 MW 532nm green laser from wicked lasers, the range is amazing, I would never dream of pointing it at a plane or a human, unless threatened, I have used it on a pitbull that was threatening and illegally unleashed, however he could still smell me and my small charge, so I gave him the 9mm solution, yes he bit me first two bullets proved quite effective, not oddly, the owners of the pitbull have moved away

Bill Bennett
7th September, 2011 @ 09:20 pm PDT

Jacob Shepley, why don't you try Googling "laser airplane arrest." You'll be surprised. Try this link if you don't think it can do any harm:

Between you and "mrhuckfin," the ignorance is staggering. Why don't you try your little "harmless" trick and see if it doesn't land you in prison.

Slowburn, firestarter? Really? They have these things called cigarette lighters or matches or even magnesium firesticks that work much better for that purpose. It's amazing how you grasp at straws.

Gadgeteer
7th September, 2011 @ 09:41 pm PDT

If this company had any morality or decency, they'd send crates of these to every gang neighborhood in america for free. That way, all the worthless human garbage could all blind each other. The great thing about blinding someone is the penalty is far far less severe than killing them, so I don't know why these stupid effing moron gang members haven't figured this out already.

As long as they use them on each other, no one will give a shyt. But once they use them on normal humans, then they'll finally become illegal as they should be in the first place. Hopefully the executives of this company are bringing these home for their shyty kids to play with and blind each other as well.

PimplyDykBallz
7th September, 2011 @ 11:31 pm PDT

Re; Gadgeteer - September 7, 2011 @ 09:41 pm PDT

I carry an emergency kit that includes two butane lighters as a matter of course. Till I developed an allergy to the fuel I carried a Zippo but even with it i have been unable to get a fire to light because of the wind. Being able to put the tinder into an empty bottle and then light it would have saved me hours of misery, if I had a hundred pounds less fat I probably would not be here. so yes A FIRE STARTER.

Slowburn
8th September, 2011 @ 01:11 am PDT

This new l.a.s.e.r.-technology fits more into the "dynamite"-category = originally civilian technology that can be used to wreak havok, or put differently, dangerous stuff that has lots of useful applications like... ok maybe dynamite is a bad example. I could see possible applications if this was a genuine technology improvement, such as a stronger beam that consumes less power (better, smaller, brighter mobile projectors), but the article doesn't say much into that direction. So what is it? A faster car.

Regardless how you see gun laws, the fact that everybody here points at this form of abuse is 'illuminating'. It's a justified reflex I think. This device is an energy weapon, not primarily a harmless tool. If I abuse the intended use of a hammer by throwing it at someone, the hammer is still a tool, but a gun for example can not be used to put nails in wood or to do other good. The energy concentration is too high. Same with this 'weapon', if carried around: it isn't a tool that can be used in public (too strong to be a pointer device). If anything, it's similar to welding equipment that - used in public - has very restricted and regulated applications.

Industrial production - AFAIK - already has more powerful lasers; and I also assume that there are still faster ways to start a fire. So what is it?

...maybe combined with this one here everybody can become a plastics artist? http://www.gizmag.com/process-for-laser-welding-clear-plastics-developed/17768/

Nils Sens
8th September, 2011 @ 01:15 am PDT

I've got to agree with gadgeteer, it has absolutely no purpose for the average person - I actually wonder if it has any real purpose at all, other that for some idiot (and there's an over-abundance of them) to cause a plane crash or to accidentally blind someone. You can bet that the first thing someone will do it try and freak out their neighbor in the next apartment building by putting a dot on his wall and you can picture what the result will be when the neighbor looks to see where it's coming from - All in good fun until someone loses an eye!

Steve Lane
8th September, 2011 @ 08:41 am PDT

Why not just make everything illegal?

Will that make you happy?

Enforcement could be a problem...

Griffin
8th September, 2011 @ 09:50 am PDT

It is NOT up to the government to protect us.

It is up to citizens to get a job and take care of themselves.

Government - stay the hell out of my life. Do what you were elected to do, nothing less, nothing more.

back2basics
8th September, 2011 @ 02:13 pm PDT

I don't like it so it must be band has been the basis for more disastrous laws than anything else.

Besides a good pair of polarized glasses will defeat the whole using it as a weapon thing.

Slowburn
8th September, 2011 @ 11:32 pm PDT

I agree with "slowburn" it has its good uses but people will defiantly use it to blind animals and hurt people especially if terrorists get ahold of it. It is a good idea though cus the U.S military could use it too for operations.

polishkid69
9th September, 2011 @ 07:59 am PDT

Sounds like the government has already decided that 1 watt is the limit of power , since this is the most powerful laser you can legally own.

I would hate to see it being used to blind animals and people but that can also be done with less powerful lasers but I do not like the government setting rules on what I can and can't own.

I personally would like one of these just to kill flies at a distance if it would work.

The thing that makes me more uncomfortable with this than a pistol is that I can see anyone having one of these and just pointing it for the fun of it not really realizing the damage that could occur.

Personally if I had to choose between being shot or blinded I would probably rather eat a bullet of course that isn't much of a choice.

Captain Danger
10th September, 2011 @ 08:57 am PDT

Tooth for tooth, EYE for EYE: starting with the top manager of the company that makes profit on this.

I cannot absolutely think out a more stupid idea than making these "toys" available. So let them pay in the olden and tried way.

Let them pay with the apple of their eye. Let them pay dearly. Hopefully they would reconsider.

[funny: i am becoming an islamo fascist populist radical right pig...obviously we have here also a mind-changing crazy-people-making-crazy-measures-pushing weapon]

SCARY STUFF.

nehopsa
10th September, 2011 @ 11:40 pm PDT

Saw this video the other day - cops catching a laser-maniac red-handed. A lesson to all thinking about trying their laser on helicopters...

www-youtube-com_watch?v=3k4C8grAGP4

By the way - I love the description 1,000-milliwatts! ;-))

agulesin
4th October, 2011 @ 07:36 am PDT

There are 2 parts to this. The first is using it for purposes unintended. Dry Ice, household chemicals, knives, and sharp pointed sticks are not being considered to be made illegal, even though they can be used to hurt, injure and cause a ruckus. Its how you use the item that makes it dangerous. This ties in to part 2, "What possible use could this high power laser have?" The same use as chemistry sets and electronics labs you could buy. It puts science into peoples hands. What we do with it is our personal responsibility. If I poke someone in the eye with a sharp pointed stick (Oh my lord, lets cut down every tree and make trees illegal!) I am going to jail. If I point a laser at someones eye and it makes them go blind I am going to jail. Its simple really, being responsible for ones own actions. One great mind inspired by what this device can do can mean so much to the advancement of lasers in science and medicine.

Kristatos
4th October, 2011 @ 01:25 pm PDT

Are you guys against technological advancement. Just because you cant find a good way to use it means no-one can? arent free citizens FREE to make new technologies to better our world and discover things about the universe we live in? lasers have multiple applications. many of these have yet to be discovered yet and many are for science and other industries. could you power a car using lasers? we'll never know if you take it off the market. yah think BIG OIL wants to find out? can lasers help in agriculture or home heating? we'll never know if its taken off the market for fear of a few dumbnuts. WE the people make this great nation, not our Gov. its takes some vision to step into the darkness and see the light no-one saw before.

acacian141
14th October, 2011 @ 07:55 pm PDT

Well in Australia the legal limit is 1 milliwatt, if you got caught with one of these things you would probably be charged under the weapons control act and could well wind up in prison.

Robin Smith
20th November, 2011 @ 05:30 pm PST

I have colleages who have been blinded badly enough by garden variety green lasers, to stop them working for ever, not to mention these monsters. With a gun, you need a license

in most countries, and it is not easy to aim a gun at any moving object, but with a laser, no problem. You can blind pilots, bus drivers and police with these mad inventions, terrorise dogs, cats & wild life and probably set fire to various things, from a safe distance! Why not disrupt the next horse race, while you're at it?!

How do you stop loonies from getting hold of these things, or terrorists, for that matter?!

Bad enough with the 200mW green lasers, this is total lunacy - hello, mad world: here we come?!

Tord S Eriksson
21st November, 2011 @ 03:19 am PST

Unfortunately laser beams are already being misused, with stupidly dangerous consequence possibilities. Check out the soccer leagues of relative importance around the world and you´ll see that in many games goalies are blinded when there is a free shot or penalty, as well as forward players in the same cases.

One of these 1000mW lasers could severely damage their vision (imagine Messi or Javi or Beckham blind, unable to play anymore) ....and, unfortunately, irresponsibly stupid morons are born by loads every day.

These lasers are just too easy to hide and conceal. Definetly not a good idea to sell them freely.

Charlie Channels
28th March, 2012 @ 06:57 am PDT

One quick reminder- this comes in 300mW, 500mW, and 1000mW.

Priced at $300, $500, and $1000. Unless these 'kids' are loaded-

I just don't see the 'streets' flooding with these things.

On the pro side of things, I can see many uses for these if they are

integrated into equipment: Lidar systems, projection systems for

putting animated images or logos on an opaque side of a building,

coherent light for exposing holographic plates, etc. With some lenses and

a good diffuser, one could illuminate an area- with a bright, yet non blinding

light, by spreading the beam into a wide cone.

So, unless the economy has changed, I just dont see these as a widespread

problem.

Lloyd Longsworth
8th May, 2012 @ 11:47 am PDT

Although a minimum amount of power is required, it is mainly a small diameter, low divergence beam that allows for a visible spot at some distance--not the total power output. A one watt visible light laser with ~3mm diameter and 3 milliradian divergence beam can easily burn a hole in white paper within a few feet. If it enters your eye at close range, you may not get totally blinded, but you will definitely get a permanent retinal lesion (a blind spot). Not cool at all.

The main hazard to pointing at aircraft is not so much blindness to the pilot, because the beam and aircraft are moving and the beam has spread out, lowering the power density and duration. The hazard is mostly distraction of the pilot due to being dazzled by a bright light. This is still a very serious matter, as the last thing you want is your pilot losing concentration on final approach.

In the USA, any visible laser greater than 1/2 watt is considered a Class IV laser, which is the highest classification and one that most concert level laser light show systems use. In general, all lasers (even low-power laser pointers) are regulated by the Federal Government. Most developed countries have similar regulations concerning the use of lasers for display/light show purposes. In the hands of a professional following the rules, these lasers can be very entertaining. In the hands of an uneducated user, tragedy may result. While the same might be said about guns (which are generally more harmful), I worry that the hazard is not as clearly understood by the lay person with these lasers and therefore the risk of sustaining some type of serious injury is greater.

Nibblonian
11th May, 2012 @ 06:30 pm PDT

Just got back from the annual Aerospace Medical Association conference, and the FAA physician there reported a large increase in green laser dazzling of pilot on landing approaches... not a good trend. Cheap, easy, and unlimited "ammo"...with high risk in aviation.

Matt Rings