Sony unveils new flagship Xperia Z3 range at IFA
By Ben Coxworth
September 3, 2014
Another big reveal at IFA 2014 today ... Sony has released details on its new flagship Xperia Z3 mobile electronics range. It includes a standard Z3 smartphone, a smaller Z3 Compact model, and the Z3 Tablet Compact. Among other things, all three devices are waterproof to a rating of IP 65/68 – this means they’re not just splashproof, but can actually be submerged.
While the full specs aren’t yet available, the standard Z3’s listed features include:
- Snapdragon 801 Quad-core processor (2.5 GHz)
- 4K video capability
- 20.7 MP 1/2.3 Exmor RS image sensor with BIONZ imaging engine
- 25-mm wide angle G lens
- ISO 12800 low-light sensitivity
- Compatibility with PS4 Play
- 5.2-inch tempered glass display
- 7.3-mm thick rounded aluminum frame
- Up to two days of battery life
- Weight of 152 grams
- Choice of white, black, copper or silver green
- Dual SIM version to be available in some markets
At 8.6 mm, the Z3 Compact is actually a little thicker than the regular Z3, but has a smaller 4.6-inch display. It weighs 129 grams, is designed for one-handed operation, and comes in orange, green, black or white. Most of its other specs are the same as those of its bigger brother.
The 8-inch Z3 Tablet Compact, meanwhile, has a thickness of just 6.4 mm, weighs under 270 grams, and features stainless steel corners. Sony claims that it’s "the world’s slimmest and lightest waterproof tablet."
There’s no word yet on pricing, although the two phones are reportedly due for release this autumn (Northern Hemisphere). Other features are demo’d in the video below.
- Around The Home
- Digital Cameras
- Good Thinking
- Health and Wellbeing
- Holiday Destinations
- Home Entertainment
- Inventors and Remarkable People
- Mobile Technology
- Urban Transport
- Wearable Electronics