Highlights from the 2014 LA Auto Show

Series II Expedition Tent provides shelter for you and your motorbike

February 8, 2013

The Series II Expedition Tent keeps you and your motorbike safe from the elements

If you enjoy camping out with your motorbike but would prefer that your pride and joy stays safely sheltered from the elements while you sleep, then the Series II Expedition Tent by Redverz Gear may be of interest. It has the capacity to house you, your motorbike, and a friend or two.

When packed away into a carry bag, the three-season Series II Expedition Tent weighs 13 lbs (6 kg) and measures 10 x 21 inches (23 x 53 cm). However, once assembled, it’s quite sizable at 100 x 201 inches (254 x 510 cm) and makes for a surprisingly versatile shelter.

The garage bay doubles up as a utility area for cooking

The tent is manufactured from ripstop nylon, with a double wall designed to eliminate condensation. There’s a mosquito and privacy door integrated, and the interior of the Series II Expedition Tent should provide enough room to sleep two people in comfort, or three at a squeeze.

The garage bay area looks good for up to two motorbikes inside, and it also doubles up as a utility area for cooking. Judging by the video below, the Series II Expedition Tent enables all but the tallest of campers to stand fully upright – which should make it a little easier to get dressed in the mornings.

The Series II Expedition Tent will set you back US$449.00.

Source: Redverz Gear via Bless This Stuff

Adam Williams Adam scours the globe from his home in North Wales in order to bring the best of innovative architecture and sustainable design to the pages of Gizmag. Most of his spare time is spent dabbling in music, tinkering with old Macintosh computers and trying to keep his even older VW bus on the road.

All articles by Adam Williams

Having the bike's cooling engine warming the tent could be pleasant.

Slowburn
8th February, 2013 @ 04:32 am PST

Never mind a Motorbike!, it would probably make a pretty good tent to keep a telescope in at a star party.

coastwalker
8th February, 2013 @ 08:27 am PST

Also looks like a GREAT idea for a place to get wet stuff off and clean up a tad before going into the tent "proper" . . . common sense idea - surprised it hasn't come up before. :D

socalboomer
8th February, 2013 @ 08:42 am PST

could be good to fit wheelchairs too

Gary McMurray
8th February, 2013 @ 11:35 am PST

I'd be scared of it falling on me in the night. Depends on a good stand of course and no soft ground. May not be a rational fear but...

Peter Clifford
9th February, 2013 @ 01:27 pm PST

Sleeping with petrol fumes wouldn't be so pleasant though.

Denis Klanac
10th February, 2013 @ 04:27 pm PST

Designed for hipsters that only take their bikes out in the dry. And the bike falling over is not an irrational fear. I always park mine with enough room not to hit my tent if it falls over. Slightly higher version of Kyhams Biker tent. Useful porch space but leave the bike outside

ihateorange
11th February, 2013 @ 02:29 am PST

Agree that the falling-over scenario is a valid one - I had this happen to me many years ago with my MotoGuzzi California.

Now I ride a Harley (with no centre-stand) so this would not be an issue.

I have the Kyham Biker tent so can vouch for the usefulness of the design. The Kyham just needs more height

Cheers

Dave

Harley Dave
11th February, 2013 @ 02:51 am PST

I got a big laugh when I saw the tent "staked" down in the sand dunes.

Very nice photos in the gallery section.

Otherwise this is perfect for motorcycle and car camping. Probably too heavy for touring bicyclists but perfect for motorized transport.

Twice the price of the Khyam, but taller by far.

I want one.

morongobill
11th February, 2013 @ 08:44 am PST

Cool idea for the bikers out there.

Doug Maidens
11th February, 2013 @ 11:47 am PST

there are no pictures of how hard it is to set up and how much space it will take on your motorcycle when it is folded up..

lee hughes
12th February, 2013 @ 07:53 pm PST

Motorbike? I trust that the terminology problem, here, is a cultural one. Perhaps they're known as "motorbikes" in the UK, but they're "motorcycles" here. A "motorbike" in the US is a bicycle with a motor bolted onto it; and a "motor scooter" is something like a Vespa.

The fastest way to insult a motorcyclist in the US is to call what I see in this article's photos a "motorbike." The fastest way to be killed for it in the US would be to do it to a Harley-riding biker gang member.

Seriously. They're even called motorcycles in the UK. Stop insulting bikers with careless terminology.

Gregg DesElms
13th February, 2013 @ 05:30 pm PST

Okay, it's called a "motorcycle cover"...

SEE: http://bit.ly/X6eX2P

...and they've been around forever.

And it's called a "tent"...

SEE: http://bit.ly/X6feml

...which has been around even longer.

Tent. Motorcycle cover. See? They don't even sound alike. Very separate. Tent. Motorcycle cover. Tent. Motorcycle cover. Two completely different things, as it should be.

If one insists on getting a tent for one's motorcycle, then fine...

SEE: http://bit.ly/X6fxgR

...get one of those. Either way, though, the motorcycle sleeps outside, with the horse.

Gregg DesElms
13th February, 2013 @ 05:42 pm PST

Looks like a decent tent. I like the ventilation and ability to seal it up. Looks like you can keep airflow while keeping rain out - something you need in tropical climes. This tent would be suitable for year round camping where I'm from. It's a little pricey for me and I wouldn't keep a motorbike inside but it ticks all my tent-buying boxes.

Hogey74
11th August, 2013 @ 09:13 pm PDT

Not a good idea to park the bike inside for the reasons mentioned above. I have been woken in the night by the sound of a bike slowly laying down to sleep of its own accord on several occasions. In addition, the bike cover is still essential for adventure touring. It is the best security system there is in a wide range of situations and we use ours most days several times a day. An additional cover built into the tent is just extra weight and bulk for the luxury of an annex.

Noone ever gets halfway through a serious adventure ride and says to him or herself, gee I wish I had a heavier bike and more weight. Mostly they start throwing stuff out! Best to start as light as you can and then you don't need to ditch too much expensive gear. Mike

teamelephant