SentrySafe launches FIRE-SAFE/Waterproof Hard Drive at CES 2008
By Darren Quick
January 6, 2008
January 7, 2008 Among the deluge of new product announcements emerging from the International CES which gets underway today in Las Vegas, residential and small office security-storage container manufacturer SentrySafe has launched a range of data and document security products including the world’s first FIRE-SAFE/Waterproof Hard Drive that protects data from fire and water disasters, as well as computer crashes and theft. The new line-up also includes a multipurpose Data Storage Chest that provides protection for data storage devices, CDs and DVDs, plus the world’s first multipurpose USB connected FIRE-SAFE/Water-Resistant Safe and a CD/DVD File to protect and organize up to 100 CDs or DVDs.
SentrySafe partnered with Maxtor Storage Solutions to develop the SentrySafe FIRE-SAFE/Waterproof Hard Drive, which is available in 80GB and 160GB varieties and contains the Maxtor OneTouch 4 Mini hard drive – a mobile storage solution that includes a full suite of software protection tools, such as data encryption and Maxtor’s SafetyDrill software - a bare metal system restore. The hard drive is encased in a SentrySafe FIRE-SAFE/Waterproof enclosure, protecting data from fire and water and is also ETL-verified for fire protection for 30 minutes up to 1550° F and ETL-verified waterproof – meaning it is fully submersible in water for up to 24 hours.
In addition to the FIRE-SAFE/Waterproof Hard Drives, the company also officially launched other Data & Document Security products targeted at small office and home office consumers at CES 2008 including:
- The SentrySafe FIRE-SAFE/Waterproof Data Storage Chest: a multipurpose fire-resistant and waterproof chest that allows users to back-up data using their own storage devices such as 2.5" USB bus-powered hard drives, flash drives and MP3 players and also protects up to 60 CDs or DVDs. The chest also allows users to connect their laptop or desktop computer via the internal USB port and is ETL-verified half-hour fire protection for CDs, DVDs, USB drives and memory sticks up to 1550° F and ETL-verified waterproof for full 24-hour submersion.
- The SentrySafe FIRE-SAFE/Water-Resistant Safe: available in 1.2 cu. ft. and 2.0 cu. ft. sizes these are billed as the world’s first multipurpose USB connected fire-resistant and water-resistant safes that provide USB-powered connectivity for users’ data stored on 2.5" hard drives, which can be securely stored in the safe’s convenient door pocket that connects to the internal USB port. Users can also connect to their laptop or desktop via the external USB port and they store up to 120 CDs / DVDs in jewel cases and also protect standard, A-4 size papers, folders, passports, birth certificates, and valuable items such as jewelry, digital cameras and iPods. The safes are ETL-verified for 2-hour fire protection of CDs, DVDs, USB drives and memory sticks up to 1850° F and are ETL-verified for water resistance in up to 8 inches, for up to 24 hours. Both sized safes are also UL Classified 2-hour proven fire protection with impact and UL Classified 30-foot drop test and include an advanced LCD electronic lock system with backlit keypad, programmable pin access and tubular key lock.
- The SentrySafe FIRE-SAFE/Waterproof CD/DVD File – which protects and organizes up to 100 CDs or DVDs in hanging sleeves in a removable tray and is ETL-verified half-hour fire protection for CDs/DVDs, memory sticks and USB drives up to 1550° F and ETL-verified waterproof for full 24-hour submersion.
The SentrySafe FIRE-SAFE/Waterproof Hard Drive 160GB was named the Best of CES Innovations 2008 in the “Computer Peripheral” category by the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA), while the SentrySafe FIRE-SAFE/Water-Resistant Safe (2.0 cu. ft. size) was named the overall Best of CES Innovations 2008 in the “Furniture” product category.
The SentrySafe FIRE-SAFE/Waterproof Hard Drive will carry a MSRP of USD$259.99 for the 80GB model while the 160GB model will have a MSRP of USD$339.99.
The SentrySafe FIRE-SAFE/Waterproof Data Storage Chest will be available for a MSRP of USD$169.99, the SentrySafe FIRE-SAFE/Water-Resistant Safe will carry a MSRP of USD$419.99 for the 1.2 cu. ft. size and USD$519.99 for the 2.0 cu. ft. size, and the SentrySafe FIRE-SAFE/Waterproof CD/DVD File will have a MSRP of USD$99.99.Share
- Around The Home
- Digital Cameras
- Good Thinking
- Health and Wellbeing
- Holiday Destinations
- Home Entertainment
- Inventors and Remarkable People
- Mobile Technology
- Urban Transport
- Wearable Electronics
- 2014 Action Camera Comparison Guide
- 2014 Smartwatch Comparison Guide
- 2014 Windows 2-in-1 Comparison Guide
- 2014 Smartphone Comparison Guide
- 2014 Full Frame DSLR Comparison Guide
- 2014 Tablet Comparison Guide
- 2014 Superzoom Camera Comparison Guide
- 2014 iPad Comparison Guide
- 2014 Entry-Level to Enthusiast DSLR Comparison Guide
- 2014 Small Compact Camera Comparison Guide