Apple announces iPhone 6, Apple Watch

Selk'Bag is a sleeping bag that you wear

October 6, 2011

The Selk'Bag (or Musuc'Bag) is a sleeping bag with arms, legs and a hood, which can be both slept in and worn as outerwear (Photo: Selk'Bag)

If you've done much camping, chances are that you've probably seen fellow campers sitting around the chilly campsite first thing in the morning, wearing their sleeping bag like it's a dressing gown. Well, Chilean graphic designer Rodrigo Alonso Schramm has taken the wearable sleeping bag concept one step farther, and created one with arms, legs, and a hood. Sold as both the Selk'Bag (in homage to the nomadic Chilean Selk'nam people) and the Musuc'Bag, it could be just the thing for those times when you feel like getting up, but don't want to get out of bed.

In order to make life a little easier for users when they're up and about in their Selk'Bag, the product features nylon soles with anti-slip pads on the feet, and quick-release closures at the ends of the arms, that allow users to stick their hands out. It also has a cinchable drawstring opening on the hood, and insulated draft tubes around the zippers and neck.

While most people would probably go for the Classic model, there's also one for kids (with a front kangaroo pocket), a light version, and a soon-to-be-released better-insulated model with detachable feet, so that users can wear their own boots with it.

The Selk'Bag/Musuc'Bag is available at various outdoors shops and online retailers for around US$150.

If you like the idea of a sleeping bag that can be worn as a jacket but that also serves as a tent, check out the JakPak.

Source: Firebox

Ben Coxworth An experienced freelance writer, videographer and television producer, Ben's interest in all forms of innovation is particularly fanatical when it comes to human-powered transportation, film-making gear, environmentally-friendly technologies and anything that's designed to go underwater. He lives in Edmonton, Alberta, where he spends a lot of time going over the handlebars of his mountain bike, hanging out in off-leash parks, and wishing the Pacific Ocean wasn't so far away.   All articles by Ben Coxworth

I was just planning to MAKE one out of a few old sleeping bags myself, only a few weeks ago!

Looks as though I got beat to the punch ;-)

sgdeluxedoc
6th October, 2011 @ 10:36 am PDT

In theory, great idea, but not practical for the same reason why mittens are better than gloves. Your body will stay warmer if you can keep it all together rather than isolated in different sections. This is aimed at people who are more concerned with style over function. Not the type of people I want to be on a winter trek with.

Nasuti
6th October, 2011 @ 01:10 pm PDT

How is this new? I have a comfy, baggy down suite. I summited Mt. Everest in it. I also sleep in it from time to time. It is probably a lot warmer than this too. The only advantage I see in this is price but this article says nothing of temperature rating.

Matthew Du Puy
6th October, 2011 @ 01:24 pm PDT

Ho Ho Ho, Green Giant.

Derek Howe
6th October, 2011 @ 02:39 pm PDT

@Natsui - I'm not sure how this product is aimed at people who are 'more concerned with style over function' LOL. Quite the opposite in fact.

This would be great for those people that get tangled in their sleeping bag by turning over too much in the night.

I hope it is washable.

I can just imagine these being used in some random music video. Perhaps by OK Go.

Oztechi
6th October, 2011 @ 10:01 pm PDT

I was pretty sure I had one of these growing up. It was called a snowsuit.

@Oztechi: I think he was criticizing the 2X surface area that heat would escape through over a conventional sleeping bag. (e.g. mittens are warmer than gloves.) If there was an option to zip the appendages into one then it would be more versatile.

CreativeApex
7th October, 2011 @ 05:44 am PDT

I bet the OccupyWallStreet and other Occupy protest could use a few of these over the following few weeks. ;)

Gene Jordan
7th October, 2011 @ 11:10 am PDT

The makers of this should keep themselves in business by offering a $200 SPONSOR A SUIT FOR A HOMELESS PERSON campaign!

spurlock
7th October, 2011 @ 11:14 am PDT

They could also offer it more waterproof and inflatable as a survival suit that would be comfortable enough to sleep or do limited work in(seated,stand-up monitoring,observing or some sentry-type work).

People in their bunks don't fare well during sudden evacuations,especially offshore.

Also,

I can't see this as a fashion statement unless Axl Rose wears one to his next concert.

(he just wore this bizarre shiny yellow raincoat to his most recent concert).

Griffin
7th October, 2011 @ 11:40 am PDT

Haven't tried one, but it looks too confining. I also don't like the idea of sitting around a campfire in something like that. Better to get up in the morning, get dressed and face the day. If I want to snuggle, I'll just stay home where it's really comfy and I can just throw on some sweats.

Lsaguy
8th October, 2011 @ 10:19 am PDT

A Soviet bloc country (maybe East Germany) had a hooded long coat decades ago on which you could unzip the hem, drop it 12 inches or so and rezip around your feet. You could use it as a sleeping bag with arms that way.

Gadgeteer
9th October, 2011 @ 09:39 am PDT

I own one..so I KNOW what I am talking about. It is NOT confining. I like to cross my legs...so this sleep suit is wonderful for me. I live in Florida. Slek suit suit zips and unzips easily...so you can wear it partially. It does ZIP over the hands like mittens...and around the head for cooler weather. IT is NOT as compact as some sleeping bags...but does have a compression bag. I've yet to wear it to the campfire...mostly because I don't want to get the feet dirty. There is a a soon-to-be-released better-insulated model with detachable feet, so that users can wear their own boots with it. It is a great concept. Well executed. A MUMMY bag is warmer. This Selk is only rated to 44 degrees (but they have a better insulted model coming out). For the fact alone..you can cross your legs and sleep this is rated A in my book. It is a lot looser than sleeping in say a snow suit. I like the fact you can wear it....Yeah i do think it is a fashion statement. I love mine.

Linda Weyrich Spears
9th October, 2011 @ 06:34 pm PDT

Update..the Black Self size large (Selk Bag 1) is ONLY comfort rated to 54 degrees. 32F for extreme temperatures. I bought mine for Florida. I did use it in Utah and froze my hiney off September 2011 ..when I foolishly listened to the guide and did not use a tent. I had a cot only, no mattress pad. I was shoving clothes in.the bag trying to get warm..shivering like the dickens. So...it is not very warm..and it is bulky. I still love it. I kayak camp more these days so it is not exactly the best bag..but I think we gave our old sleeping bags away..and I don't want to keep buying more freaking gear. I used it this week just on the cot in an open shelter (had my mattress pad this time)...and I threw a lightweight cloth tarp over. The low was about 60 ish....so that is about right.

Hope that helps...

Linda Weyrich Spears
10th October, 2011 @ 12:18 pm PDT

This is not something that any real outdoorsmen will buy..

bgstrong
13th October, 2011 @ 01:59 pm PDT

cool for family camping. not good in the wilderness.

Benedict Kim