Red Bull unveils 2012 Formula One car
By Martin Hone
February 8, 2012
Current world F1 champion Red Bull Racing has unveiled the car with which it will defend the title in 2012 - the Renault-powered RB8. With No. 1 driver Sebastian Vettel looking for a hat-trick this year, Chief Technical Officer Adrian Newey OBE is taking no chances with the design, which traces it roots back to the RB5 of 2009.
Evolutionary rather than revolutionary, the car still needed to comply with the revised rules for this year, hence the new nose configuration and rear end treatment. While much has been made of the team's exhaust-blown diffuser, new rules on exhaust positioning has eliminated this advantage, something that Newey - never a big fan of restrictions - readily concedes. The rule changes also impact the ability to run the relatively high rear ride height of the previous car, forcing much thought to go into the aerodynamics around the rear end of the RB8.
On the nose - literally - new rule changes have forced all the 2012 season cars, with the possible exception of the McLaren, into adopting a less-than-pretty front end treatment.
Red Bull RB08 specifications
- Chassis: Composite monocoque structure, designed and built in-house, carrying the Renault V8 engine as fully stressed member
- Transmission: Seen-speed gearbox, longitudinally mounted with hydraulic system for power shift and clutch operation. AP racing clutch
- Wheels: Oz Racing, front: 12.0in x 13in diam., rear: 13.7in x 13in diam.
- Tyres: Pirelli
- Suspension: Front: aluminium alloy uprights, carbon-composite double wishbone with springs and anti-roll bar, Multimatic dampers
- Rear: aluminium alloy uprights, carbon-composite double wishbone with springs and anti-roll bar, Multimatic dampers
- Brakes: Brembo calipers, Brembo carbon discs and pads
- Fuel: Total group
- Renault engine RS27 - 2012
- Number of Cylinders: 8
- Capacity: 2400CC
- Max rpm: 18,000rpm
- Number of valves: 32
- Vee angle: 90 degrees
- Engine construction: Cylinder block in cast aluminum
- Oil: Total group
- Weight: FIA minimum weight of 95kg