2014 Paris Motor Show highlights

Polaroid's Android-powered, 16-megapixel Smart Camera

January 12, 2012

Polaroid's SC1630 Smart Camera is powered by Android and features a smartphone-like form factor

With most people happy to make do with camera phones for their digital image snapping needs in the majority of situations and the quality of such devices improving markedly in recent years, makers of dedicated consumer-level cameras face an increasingly tough row to hoe. At CES 2012, Polaroid has announced its SC1630 Smart Camera that attempts to blur the lines between a camera phone and dedicated camera with its smartphone-like form factor and being one of the first dedicated cameras to run on Android.

The Polaroid SC1630 packs a 16-megapixel 1/2.33-inch CCD sensor, 3x optical zoom (5x digital) and 6.5 - 19.5 mm lens to provide a 35 - 108 mm equivalent lens range. Around back is a 3.2-inch touchscreen for displaying images and accessing apps and the Android Market. The device stores captured images on microSD cards of up to 32 GB capacity and has a Smart Album feature that automatically organizes photos by date, location and people. There's also geotagging and face and smile detection. Onboard image editing features include cropping, red-eye removal, resizing and color correction - with the Android Market also providing access to a range of image editing apps.

Designed to allow users to upload images and videos to social networks and share with friends at the touch of a button, the SC1630 boasts Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity, as well as offering an optional cellular data connection. So even though you won't be able to make phone calls directly on the device, since the unit does include a microphone and speaker, you'll presumably be able to use it to make VOIP calls.

The Polaroid SC1630 Smart Camera weighs 5 oz (142 g) and its fully charged battery should give a full day of snapping. It will be available some time later this year for a price yet to be announced.

Darren Quick Darren's love of technology started in primary school with a Nintendo Game & Watch Donkey Kong (still functioning) and a Commodore VIC 20 computer (not still functioning). In high school he upgraded to a 286 PC, and he's been following Moore's law ever since. This love of technology continued through a number of university courses and crappy jobs until 2008, when his interests found a home at Gizmag.   All articles by Darren Quick

This camera is doomed by its zoom range: widest is only 35mm.

MrGadget
13th January, 2012 @ 06:45 am PST

your camera is only as good as your lens...having 16mp for a camera this small is ludicrous, it just makes for a lot larger files.

The Alchemist
13th January, 2012 @ 05:44 pm PST

It comes with a whole new batch of excuses for missing a great shot. "I was playing Angry Birds." "Sorry, I was Skyping with my camera." "Failed to get the shot 'cause I was looking at FAILblog."

Gregg Eshelman
14th January, 2012 @ 02:22 am PST

It's an interesting innovation, but like most people already said.... it will most likely have a resistive touch screen, a low amount of RAM, and a slower CPU. That being said, it will barely be able to play games. Hopefully they are smart and put at least a capacitive screen and a 1GHz CPU in it.

William Goins
16th January, 2012 @ 06:13 am PST

Capacitive touch? Oh, please. Just what I need, more finger, face, and nose grease griming up my camera. I hate capacitive touch. I have an alarm system that is solid glass and is resistive touch... I can use fingers, nails, keys, pens, and anything on it. I usually tap it with my keys so I don't leave prints. The oleophobic coating of my iphone is covered in finger grease. I hate it. I'd rather use a stylus.

Face it, as an artist (I am) I want a fine point touch to do details. What good is a stylus (finger, or conductive rubber tipped) if the detail is hidden behind the tool?

Facebook User
30th January, 2012 @ 08:56 pm PST

The thing I think people are missing is the bonuses this has. In my opinion it is great. You have a way better lens and sensor than a lot of camera phones. Yea it might not play games but throwing the 500 million camera apps out there (number not confirmed lol) with a better quality than your standard phone camera and its going to be some fun for kids and as far as a pocket camera goes I can upload right to flickr or facebook from the camera? Sounds good to me!

Jon Alexander