Nikon release small footprint D-60 digital SLR
February 3, 2008
February 4, 2008 As one of the smallest digital SLRs yet produced by the company, the latest addition to the Nikon D-series - the D60 - aims to squeeze the functionality and creative control offered by the digital SLR format into a more portable, downsized form shared with the D40. Key features of the 10.2 megapixel unit include an Integrated Dust Reduction System, extensive on-board editing, 0.19-second power-up, continuous shooting of up to 100 JPEG images at 3 frames per second, image stabilization and a new Eye Sensor function that turns off the 2.5-inch color LCD monitor when the viewfinder is being used and automatically switches it back on when the user moves their eye away.
The D60 also boast a new Active D-Lighting feature that automatically compensates for shadowed areas when shooting under challenging light conditions.
The In-camera Retouch Menu includes adjustable cross-screen star effects, color-intensifying filters as well as D-lighting, Red-eye correction and Image Trim. Image parameters, such as size, format, and white balance can also be adjusted on-board when shooting in lossless NEF (RAW) format and ther's also a Quick Retouch option which enhances contrast and saturation without the need to use a computer.
In a D-SLR first, the camera also enables the creation of stop-animation movie clips from a series of as many as 100 consecutive JPEG picture files.
The dust cleaning system combines a vibration based Image Sensor Cleaning function with a unique Airflow Control System designed to minimize the dust that can come into contact with the sensor.
The D60 will be packaged with the 3x zoom AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR lens and will be available from the beginning of March 2008. Pricing yet to be announced - stay tuned for updates.
- Nikon D-60 in brief:
- Type: Single-lens reflex digital camera
- Lens mount: Nikon F mount (with AF contacts)
- Effective picture angle: Approx. 1.5 x lens focal length (Nikon DX format)
- Effective pixels: 10.2 million
- Image sensor: 23.6 x 15.8 mm CCD sensor
- Total pixels: 10.75 million
- Storage: Image size (pixels) 3,872 x 2,592 [L], 2,896 x 1,944 [M], 1,936 x 1,296 [S]
- File format: NEF (RAW): 12-bit compressed, JPEG: JPEG-Baseline compliant with fine (approx. 1:4), normal (approx. 1:8), or basic (approx. 1:16) compression, NEF (RAW)+JPEG: Single photograph recorded in both NEF (RAW) and JPEG formats
- Media: SD memory cards, SDHC compliant
- Text input: Up to 36 characters of alphanumeric text input available
- Viewfinder: Eye-level penta-Dach mirror single-lens reflex viewfinder
- Compatible lenses: AF-S and AF-I NIKKOR: All functions supported, Type G or D AF NIKKOR not equipped with an autofocus motor (All functions supported except autofocus), Non-Type G or D AF NIKKOR not equipped with an autofocus motor (All functions supported except 3D color matrix metering II and autofocus), IX-NIKKOR and AF-NIKKOR for F3AF (Not supported), Type D PC NIKKOR (All functions supported except some shooting modes), AI-P NIKKOR (All functions supported except 3D color matrix metering II), Non-CPU (Autofocus not supported - can be used in exposure mode M, but exposure meter does not function). Lens with maximum aperture of f/5.6 or faster: Electronic rangefinder can be used.
- Shutter: Electronically-controlled vertical-travel focal-plane shutter
- Speed: 1/4,000 to 30 s in steps of 1/3 EV; Bulb, Time (optional Wireless Remote Control ML-L3 required)
- Flash sync speed: X=1/200 s; synchronizes with shutter at 1/200 s or slower
- Frame advance rate : Up to 3 fps (by selecting manual focus mode, rotating the mode dial to S or M selecting a shutter speed of 1/250 s or faster, and using defaults for all other settings).
- Metering: TTL exposure metering using 420-segment RGB sensor
- Exposure modes: Digital Vari-program (Auto, Auto [flash off], Portrait, Landscape, Child, Sports, Close up, Night portrait), Programmed auto (P) with flexible program, Shutter-priority auto (S), Aperture-priority auto (A), Manual (M)
- Autofocus: Nikon Multi-CAM 530 autofocus sensor module with TTL phase detection, 3 focus points and AF-assist
- Flash: Built-in flash
- White balance: 8 modes (when Auto is selected, TTL white-balance with main image sensor and 420-segment RGB sensor is available) fine-tuning possible
- Monitor: 2.5-in., approx. 230k-dot, low-temperature polysilicon TFT LCD, brightness adjustment and with automatic defeat via Eye Sensor
- Playback: Full frame and thumbnail (four or nine images) playback with playback zoom, stop-motion movies created with the D60, slide show, histogram display, highlights, and auto image rotation
- Dimensions: (W x H x D) - Approx. 126 x 94 x 64 mm (5.0 x 3.7 x 2.5 in.)
- Weight: Approx. 495 g (1 lb. 1 oz.) without battery, memory card or body cap
- Around The Home
- Digital Cameras
- Good Thinking
- Health and Wellbeing
- Holiday Destinations
- Home Entertainment
- Inventors and Remarkable People
- Mobile Technology
- Urban Transport
- Wearable Electronics
- 2014 Action Camera Comparison Guide
- 2014 Smartwatch Comparison Guide
- 2014 Windows 2-in-1 Comparison Guide
- 2014 Smartphone Comparison Guide
- 2014 Full Frame DSLR Comparison Guide
- 2014 Tablet Comparison Guide
- 2014 Superzoom Camera Comparison Guide
- 2014 iPad Comparison Guide
- 2014 Entry-Level to Enthusiast DSLR Comparison Guide
- 2014 Small Compact Camera Comparison Guide