Motorola announces its PRO+ smartphone
By Ben Coxworth
August 31, 2011
Readers in Europe and Asia will have a new choice in smartphones come October, when Motorola releases its new PRO+ in those markets. Gizmag was on hand when the phone was officially unveiled at IFA 2011 in Berlin this week, and got the details on what the device has to offer.
The PRO+ features both a physical and touchscreen QWERTY keyboard, and runs on the Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) platform. It also has a 1 GHz processor, 4 GB of internal storage (which can be expanded to 32 GB), a 3.1-inch 640 x 480 Gorilla Glass display, and a 5 megapixel camera with autofocus and flash. Other features include a compass, accelerometer, light and proximity sensors.
Key apps such as email and calendar can be scrolled directly from the home screen, while users can access and edit files with the preloaded cloud-based Quickoffice Connect. Other preloaded apps include Adobe Flash Player 10.3, Google Maps 5.0 and Google Talk. Allowing for the possibility that the phone may be lost or fall into the wrong hands, it and its SD card can be encrypted, and can be remotely wiped.
Connectivity is made possible through the phone's 3G Mobile HotSpot capabilities, which allow it to communicate with up to five other Wi-Fi-enabled devices.
Here's a complete list of its specs:
- Form Factor: Touch Screen, QWERTY
- OS: Android 2.3 (Gingerbread)
- Size: 62 x 119.50 x 11.65 mm
- Display: 3.1" VGA, 640 x 480 pixels, scratch resistant Corning Gorilla Glass
- Weight: 113 g
- Processor: 1GHz
- Battery: 1600mAh
- Talk and Standby Time: Up to 8 hours of talktime and 13 days in standby
- Bands/Modes: Dual-band WCDMA 850/1900/2100, 850/1700/2100, 900/2100; Quadband GSM 850/900/1800/1900; HSDPA 14.4 Mbps; HSUPA 2Mbps; EDGE Class 12; GPRS Class 12
- Connectivity: 3.5 mm headset jack, USB 2.0 HS, BOTA, PC Sync, 3G Mobile HotSpot capabilities
- Messaging/Web/Apps: MMS, SMS, Email, IM (Dwnld Java, Embedded)
- Camera: 5MP auto focus with LED flash
- Audio: FM Radio Receive, AAC, AAC+, AAC+ Enhanced, AMR NB, MIDI, MP3, RA, WAV, WMA
- Video: Capture/Playback/Streaming, H.264, MPEG4
- Storage & Memory: 4G internal storage, expandable up to 32GB, 512 RAM
- Location Services: aGPS (assisted)
- Pre-loaded Applications: Access to Google Maps with Navigation, Google Talk and Web browsing
- Sensors: eCompass, Accelerometer, Light and Proximity Sensor
Pricing for the Motorola PRO+ has yet to be announced. There is no word on when or if it will be available in other markets.